• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Determine's An Anime's Art Style?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I believe a lot of questions regarding art "styles" can be answered by looking into the dictionary entry of "shoestring budget."
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
A lot of facepalm worthy comments here, unfortunately. Konosuba looks "bad" because the aesthetic is intentional. Sure it looks like butt to some people, but it's a creative decision, not "low budget animation", "low quality character animation" or anyone being "lazy".

yuna49 wrote:
What about the original source material for adaptations? Does the style of the manga or visual novel not influence the design of the anime? I can't imagine studios deviate too far from the original work's appearance otherwise the manga's fans would have another reason to complain about the adaptation.

He mentioned that in the article somewhat:

Justin wrote:
In any given production, its their style that is probably easiest to identify, although often they're simply refining other people's characters (from a manga, visual novel artwork, or light novel illustration) so that they have fewer lines and are easier for animators to draw consistently.

As far as deviating heavily from the source material designs, it does usually cause backlash so it's not a hugely popular practice, but it's often necessary when done, or at least much much more beneficial to the anime production then sticking with overly detailed static designs.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
So Cheap. Low Quality.

Note that none include any explosions, though frankly even if the explosions were the only decently animated sequences, that anyone could watch them and say that the studio is cheap or doesn't care astounds me.

Certainly, it is understandable if you don't like how they play with the designs. But I like the funny expressions they make and if they, yes, go off the model to make them, frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
I don't quite understand all this Konosuba controversy. I quite like the derp faces they make, to me it adds a quirky charm to the humor. I also remember a lot of older anime having the characters make silly faces as well, like Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin and his "Oro?" faces.

Is it badly animated? Maybe I don't know, it looks fine to me when watching it. Maybe I'm easy to please, or maybe it's because I don't pause every frame just to look for errors.

Either way I'm enjoying the second season so far, it's one of the funniest shows I've seen in a while.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
I was sure KonoSuba artstyle was based on its genre. But what about anime like Aku no Hana?
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:30 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
I was sure KonoSuba artstyle was based on its genre. But what about anime like Aku no Hana?

I was just going to mention that and to say the whole artshift from that series was a powder keg blowing up would be an understatement. Only hipsters and hardcore fans actually like how the anime look.

Studios having "trademark art" can be both a blessing and a curse in the sense that the former can be used to further advertise the studio's reputation and on the other hand it contributes to the "sameface" dilemma that anime is often accused of. Of course, if their style is really aesthetically pleasing, which trademark styles often are, why fix what ain't broke right?

There's no doubt that Konosuba's animation is not good on a technical level, but I'm going to side with the stylistic camp here. If you research a bit on Konosuba's director, you can tell that Takaomi Kanasaki excels in zany expressions and movements in the comedy shows he's involved in and I feel he's stepping it up further by "cutting corners" on the animation. The whole thing looks like what Pokemon Sun and Moon is and that one was more drastic in terms of its old looks.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote
Western influence is another obvious factor: Tezuka was greatly influenced by Disney himself and Panty and Stocking looks like Power Puff Girls meets Invader Zim.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
So Cheap. Low Quality.

Note that none include any explosions, though frankly even if the explosions were the only decently animated sequences, that anyone could watch them and say that the studio is cheap or doesn't care astounds me.

Certainly, it is understandable if you don't like how they play with the designs. But I like the funny expressions they make and if they, yes, go off the model to make them, frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

I can't agree with this enough. It's not so much people defending the show, it's more like if you are critical of it, please use the right terms (eg., "I don't like the style and how it goes off model" and not "it is such low budget animation").

I think Konosuba takes advantage of the tempo and levity of the story and imbue it in the animation, even if it does look derp it is hilariously so (as intended).
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Just an FYI, a certain blog, probably Sakugablog, maybe Crunchyroll, will have an interview with Koichi Kikuta(the character designer of Konosuba), courtesy of Frog-kun, that should dispel a few of these misinformed comments. Mostly fallacies like that the design and animation of Konosuba is the result of laziness, poor scheduling, a low budget, or generally shoddy workmanship. It's not. It's all intentional.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't really watch Konosuba but I like the anime's art style. Way more character and personality to it than the light novel's style in my opinion. And the animation is really nice, as far as I've seen. zrnzle500's examples are really good ones. If you take a proper look at Konosuba, I think you'd find that most of it is the opposite of lazy.

But I can understand people who are upset with the style change. Heck, I'm still peeved at SHAFT changing the Zaregoto art style. It's all just personal preference.

And the derp faces, I can understand some people not liking it. Personally I'm a big fan of DEEN and their weird faces, because I personally feel it heightens the scene & animation. It's not like people in real life look gorgeous every second so why should anime characters? Though, actual off model laziness is another matter, of course...
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
It's weird when a general topic like this one is suddenly narrowed down to a discussion about a single show. Those of us who have never watched Konosuba are left out in the cold. Is there nothing else to say on the subject of anime art styles?
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
It's weird when a general topic like this one is suddenly narrowed down to a discussion about a single show. Those of us who have never watched Konosuba are left out in the cold. Is there nothing else to say on the subject of anime art styles?

Did you have something in mind to talk about? I imagine people would be open to talking about any other shows that are relevant. This question just specifically mentioned Konosuba, and since it's airing right now, and its art and animation is controversial, a lot of conversation around it naturally happens. For the last week on my Facebook, there has been at least one or two threads per day, lamenting the "bad animation" in Konosuba. A lot of people aren't taking it well.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
It completely baffles me that one of the biggest sources of Konosuba's humor and charm, the derpy visuals, is actually legitimately an issue for some people. Especially now, of all times. ??? The first season, I suppose if you wanna be frank, had wonky animation as well. Why are we now honing in on this like it's some big deal? If having bad animation means getting actually expressive characters and a boatload of endless new meme reaction images with each new episode, I'm fine with that. Imagine if we held every cartoon up to this arbitrary standard of always having to stay on model that anime fans tend to. It directly works against the basis of most visual humor.

Also, "out for Deen's head?" That would imply that people were actually expecting it to look amazing in the first place. Ultimately I could hardly care, because the show itself is freaking hilarious.

Chiibi wrote:
But yeah, I wouldn't touch Ping Pong with a ten-foot pole. Ew.

Too bad, you're missing out on a great show. Also, implying that Ping Pong's animation was a result of laziness. Makes me laugh. And kind of sad. I guess creative and unique art styles in anime will always turn of those who are just looking for that textbook "anime" look. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that, I suppose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2