• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you think is the best way to advertise anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, fan-made trailers seem to be better than most official ones. I think Funimation did a few good ones with the Rebuild of Evangelion trailers. Also their Mamoru Hosoda trailers aren't bad. Seems like when it's a feature film they put out more effort.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
@louis6578

Why would Funimation put a lot of effort into a trailer for a TV series? If they have the rights to the series all they need to do now is direct you to their website where you can watch the show itself. Movies are not as often streamed so they need more exposure by trailer.

@Chiibi

I remember that site. Early on I found a lot of graphics on a university site in Sweden. All those are gone now. Newtype's price was only part of the problem. ADV who published the US version got badly overextended and magazines in general have died. OTAKU USA is the only magazine left. I still subscribe to that, but its coverage is late and limited. They mostly do more manga reviews than I get here.

In answer to the basic question here, back before streaming I think the best advertisement was the sample DVDs that came with magazine and would have the first episode of several series. Now the best thing they can do is advertise on sites that attract anime watchers already. The big problem it recruiting new fans from the general public.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Adult Swim used to throw together some decent promos for their anime series, but they very rarely ever ran them outside the block they were advertising, which never made any sense to me.

This Bebop trailer is really excellent (1:50 if it doesn't jump to it. Keep watching for a nice Trigun spot too). They even managed to make Reign the Conqueror look good! Here's another grab bag of their anime promos.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Adult Swim used to throw together some decent promos for their anime series, but they very rarely ever ran them outside the block they were advertising, which never made any sense to me.

Oh yeah, I remember those! The Gundam Wing one was especially great. WHO IS THAT GUY'S VOICE? The guy's dramatic voice made everything sound amazing and badass. Anime hyper
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Best Inuyasha promo ever. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2