• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Switch Is Upon Us!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised I haven't really heard any buzz on the Switch's potential to be a completely self-sufficient VR System. I don't think it could be a very powerful version of that kind of system, but when you consider the attention they placed into "HD Rumble" and the fact that the controllers have built-in detailed sensors it would make sense if it could be integrated with a few accessories and be turned into a walk-through room VR console minus all the wires of the vive. I am probably off-base by a mile, but the potential is there. Don't tell me you don't see a GearVR style set of goggles you snap the Switch screen into.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Because it was?

For some not all. They didn't just change up the gameplay in 4 simply because they wanted to do something different.

Lord Oink wrote:
Limited ammo is the point of survival horror.

As pointed out when playing on the default difficulties you pretty much had a healthy supply of ammo the fact that enemies would charge at you in a straight line with your aim being fixed by default making it near impossible to miss them, made running out of ammo difficult.

Lord Oink wrote:
Pick and choose your fights.

Yeah when part of the game's gimmick is backtracking to areas you've been in, choosing to stand and fight is a much better option especially since the fixed camera angles make it easy at times to run into the arms of a zombie.

Lord Oink wrote:
And the puzzles and item hunting were a big deal as well.

....Yeah I'm pretty sure in survival horrors the characters aren't solving weird puzzles to open doors or looking for herbs that can cure poison.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I wonder what the games are going to look like. It's almost like games are DL'd through the stores. I guess there might not be anymore games to buy for us.

Like, physically what are the games gonna look like? The switch uses cartridges, like the DS.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
^
Did you play the games on easy or something? You will literally run out of ammo in the very first section if you try to kill every enemy there in Resident Evil 3, especially on hard. You're supposed to run past them or use just enough ammo to knock them down. That last sentence sounds really close to "this video game is too video gamey" if we're going to complain about puzzles in video games. A big part of the puzzles was also inventory management. Balancing healing items, ammo, and other items.

The games never became mow every enemy down until 4 where some doors literally would not open until you kill every enemy and you had a traveling merchant selling weapons and ammo.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
It seems like this is nothing more than a pretty good gaming tablet that comes with a controller (which can be split into 2 mini-controllers for some games) that could compete with say the NVIDIA Shield (interesting since NVIDIA makes the Switch's processor) but trying to be a console and a replacement for the 3DS at the same time? I don't think so. When a product tries to be too many things it ends up potentially not being very good at any of them. 32GB internal storage upgradable with a card is OK for a tablet or hand-held but for a console it's pathetic. Based on it's size I don't really see it replacing the 3DS since the 3DS can fit in a pocket but the Switch certainly won't, especially not with the controller(s) attached.

Given that the presentation was pretty awful (even people who like the Switch are saying that) and the utter lack of games at launch it's easy to see why many online critics are wondering if this will flop like the WiiU did. I may possibly be in the market for a console (or three) in the near future but I doubt I would be buying a Switch-at least not for a while. I might look into getting a Wii or WiiU cheap after it comes out though, but I will almost certainly get a handheld (New 3DS XL most likely) first.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
It seems like this is nothing more than a pretty good gaming tablet that comes with a controller (which can be split into 2 mini-controllers for some games) that could compete with say the NVIDIA Shield (interesting since NVIDIA makes the Switch's processor) but trying to be a console and a replacement for the 3DS at the same time? I don't think so. When a product tries to be too many things it ends up potentially not being very good at any of them. 32GB internal storage upgradable with a card is OK for a tablet or hand-held but for a console it's pathetic. Based on it's size I don't really see it replacing the 3DS since the 3DS can fit in a pocket but the Switch certainly won't, especially not with the controller(s) attached.

Given that the presentation was pretty awful (even people who like the Switch are saying that) and the utter lack of games at launch it's easy to see why many online critics are wondering if this will flop like the WiiU did. I may possibly be in the market for a console (or three) in the near future but I doubt I would be buying a Switch-at least not for a while. I might look into getting a Wii or WiiU cheap after it comes out though, but I will almost certainly get a handheld (New 3DS XL most likely) first.

What makes that 32GB HD an even bigger joke, is that it has no usb ports, and only takes mirco SDXC cards for memory upgrade. Those things are relatively expensive, and that seems like a pretty gimped move, but I guess right up Nintendo's alley.

Also I cant believe the author tried to make an argument that a game free for only one month is somehow better than a game free all time or at least duration of the subscription. This just shows how unintelligent people are, it reminds of how Coke and Pepsi were able to put out 8 oz cans and able to sell them for more than 12 oz cans, because people were like hey thanks for limit our consumption of this sugary dreck. Here is an idea buy the 12 oz and pour out 4 oz, and its cheaper. Your lack of time management skills does not make a particularly great argument.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:28 am Reply with quote
That moment during the presentation when I realized I wanted everything about this console was amazing. (Except for paid online play...forgivable, I guess. Damn you for starting this trend, Microsoft.)

Snipperclips has been ignored largely because 1-2 Switch was featured in the press conference over it, but based off the gameplay I watched on YouTube it looks really fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:19 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
You will literally run out of ammo in the very first section if you try to kill every enemy there in Resident Evil 3, especially on hard.

I've played Resident Evil 3 and have seen it played enough times to know this isn't entirely true.

Lord Oink wrote:
You're supposed to run past them or use just enough ammo to knock them down.

Yeah on the game modes or difficulties where you have fixed ammo or some other handicap at play creating fake difficulty in the process.

Lord Oink wrote:
That last sentence sounds really close to "this video game is too video gamey"

You're the one who tried to explain what elements a survival horror typically has, all I did was simply use your own logic against itself.

Lord Oink wrote:
A big part of the puzzles was also inventory management. Balancing healing items, ammo, and other items.

Resident Evil 0 is probably the only game where this rings true. Being it was one of the few games where you couldn't store items in a trunk meaning you had to drop items in a room and then remember what room it was in.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
The games never became mow every enemy down until 4 where some doors literally would not open until you kill every enemy and you had a traveling merchant selling weapons and ammo.

Weapons, yes. Ammo, no. The only way you are technically buying ammo from any of the merchants is when you're upgrading the weapon clip capacity on a weapon that hasn't been reloaded. Far as I remember, you can't even buy grenades from him. I might be wrong about that, but I definitely remember that you can't buy ammo from him.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
I wonder what the games are going to look like. It's almost like games are DL'd through the stores. I guess there might not be anymore games to buy for us.

Like, physically what are the games gonna look like? The switch uses cartridges, like the DS.

Ah. Thank you for that update. Because when they first announced the Switch they never told you or showed you what the games were like. They just gave you this brief trailer of what the system does. But this does sound like an interesting concept. Because now you can have big titles on a cartridge that can be played anywhere. It's like they created a portable with the power of a big console. I think the Nintendo Switch is going to do far better than what the WiiU tried to do. But people still like portability.

Now I wonder if it will be backwards compatible with DS games. Like what the Super Game Boy did for the SNES. It's almost the same concept.

I may have to get intouch with some academic libraries that collect games and see if they are going with this technology as well. Because then the question would be should we create a backlog for DS games. As some academic libraries do collect them.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Barbobot wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Ah. Thank you for that update. Because when they first announced the Switch they never told you or showed you what the games were like. They just gave you this brief trailer of what the system does. But this does sound like an interesting concept. Because now you can have big titles on a cartridge that can be played anywhere. It's like they created a portable with the power of a big console. I think the Nintendo Switch is going to do far better than what the WiiU tried to do. But people still like portability.

Now I wonder if it will be backwards compatible with DS games. Like what the Super Game Boy did for the SNES. It's almost the same concept.

I may have to get intouch with some academic libraries that collect games and see if they are going with this technology as well. Because then the question would be should we create a backlog for DS games. As some academic libraries do collect them.

Unfortunately so far Nintendo has said it will not be backwards compatible at all. That means no controllers, no attachments, no games. They are working on porting over certain ones from the eshop, but you'll have to buy those separately.

Honestly, as someone who has owned every Nintendo console/handheld, the Switch is the biggest disappointment I have ever seen from Nintendo. I was beyond excited when it was first announced as it would be the best way for Nintendo to merge their successful handheld line, with their failing console line. But nope, Nintendo goes and makes stupid decision after stupid decision, making it the biggest money grubbing console release I have ever seen. $70 just for a pro controller?? No thanks. Backwards compatibility has always gotten me to purchase a Nintendo console at release because there were games to play (not to mention every other console they have released had more games at launch). Looks like I'll just be getting Breath of the Wild for Wii U.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
That's unfortunate. They already have a new system and they didn't follow what made the portable popular. Backwards compatibility has always been what sells Nintendo products. But I can see what fans want. Just came from a gaming site and read a few comments so I can see what folks want to see from Nintendo considering how much of a disappointment they've been for awhile. Not to mention they "....don't have an info at this time".

Now I gotta sit down read all these colleges and see what consoles they have and if they collect portables. But I'm curious to see what this system is going to offer down the line. Hopefully it won't be a flop like the WiiU. Talk about short lived.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I think the Nintendo Switch using cartridges instead of discs explain why it has no backwards compatibility for the WiiU, Wii, and/or GameCube.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Honestly, as someone who has owned every Nintendo console/handheld, the Switch is the biggest disappointment I have ever seen from Nintendo. I was beyond excited when it was first announced as it would be the best way for Nintendo to merge their successful handheld line, with their failing console line.

Here's the problem with this idea that many people still aren't getting. By merging their handheld line with their console line. Nintendo is essentially putting all their eggs into one basket when the reality is they have zero reason to do this and when the risk is simply to great.

They kill the 3DS line and bring it's games to the Switch what then happens if the Switch bombs?....We already know if that happens Nintendo isn't making consoles anymore but what of handhelds? They stop making those too?

TasteyCookie wrote:
But nope, Nintendo goes and makes stupid decision after stupid decision, making it the biggest money grubbing console release I have ever seen. $70 just for a pro controller??

Keep in mind that when they had the Wii the Nunchuck and Wiimote were sold as separate items which total together would set you back $50 something that wouldn't be too bad if A) Both aren't required for some games and B) The wiimote already has a problem with the fact that Nintendo never released an official charger for the wiimote which means you'd have to buy a third party battery pack and charger which combined with A means you're spending a substantial sum on three items you need to have.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Wii, and/or GameCube.

I don't think Nintendo ever considered making Wii and Gamecube games backwards compatible for the Switch. Especially when they can sell those games on the Eshop.

[quote="Chrno2"]That's unfortunate. They already have a new system and they didn't follow what made the portable popular. Backwards compatibility has always been what sells Nintendo products.[/quote[

...Not actually while backwards compatibility has been a recurring thing with Nintendo handhelds it's not really what's been the thing that's attracted people to any of their systems. Especially if you remember the SNES, N64, & Gamecube never had it but were still liked without it.

It's mostly been the lineup of the particular systems themselves that's pulled people in.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:36 am Reply with quote
The presentations had its ups a downs, but it definitely wasn't terrible. The main complaint that annoys me is:

"The launch is unimpressive."

Yeah. DUH. When was the last time you remember the launch of ANY game console being anything above "average?" It's like people can't even think back to the PS4 and Xbox One launches. They were pathetic! Consoles never have strong libraries right out of the gate. Having Zelda alone (yes, even as a Wii U title as well) makes this launch infinitely better than most.

OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:

But it's just as you said. If you consider the Switch to function mainly as a handheld, it's actually pretty impressive. Definitely moreso than the Vita. And that's the market that Nintendo can totally BANK on if all else fails. Even if the Switch absolutely tanks in the west, Japan's penchant towards high-powered portables such as the PS Vita bode very well for it. And the issue of the system's battery life is way over-exaggerated. 3-6 hours is literally the exact same as the 3DS people, and this thing can play freaking SKYRIM! As far as portable gaming goes, that's pretty darn cool.

CrownKlown wrote:
What makes that 32GB HD an even bigger joke, is that it has no usb ports, and only takes mirco SDXC cards for memory upgrade. Those things are relatively expensive, and that seems like a pretty gimped move, but I guess right up Nintendo's alley.

Again, as a portable, the storage isn't that bad, especially since using game cards instead of downloading all your games will likely make it so that you hardly need anything more than a 64gb card for 20 bucks. Also, it's been confirmed that you can hook up an external HD up to the dock.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Here's the problem with this idea that many people still aren't getting. By merging their handheld line with their console line. Nintendo is essentially putting all their eggs into one basket when the reality is they have zero reason to do this and when the risk is simply to great.

They kill the 3DS line and bring it's games to the Switch what then happens if the Switch bombs?....We already know if that happens Nintendo isn't making consoles anymore but what of handhelds? They stop making those too?

I don't think I quite understand this point. Nintendo consolidating their console and portable divisions can only be a good thing to allow the level of games to release at a steady flow, as opposed to with the Wii U and 3DS, where there would be large chunks of time with little to no noteworthy releases for one or the other. And with the aforementioned Japanese market being obsessed with high-end portable gaming, even if it fails in the west, I can easily see it doing better than at least the Gamecube due to sales in Japan. Also, your second paragraph is just outright untrue. I'm not sure what fantasy world you guys are in, but Nintendo is not bleeding money in the way that you think they are (hell, Sony, who has far and away the most successful console of the past generation, is in much worse shape financially). They sold 100+ million Wii U units, 60+ million 3DS's. and that Amiibo shit? Don't even get me started. They've made enough bank to be able to weather multiple failed consoles if they desire to. Not that anyone who's not a dick wants Nintendo to die a slow death, but I'm just saying its either that or a roaring success for the Switch. Either way, they're a toy company first and foremost when you get down to it. They have been for over a hundred years, and they're not about to just go third party and stop making hardware because they had one recent flop. Wii profits set them up for life basically. The 3DS is going to be dead in a year, and the Switch is intended to be its replacement. At least for now. It's not like the Wii U was really propping Nintendo up or anything anyway.

But yeah, those accessory prices are utterly extortionist!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3