• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Switch Is Upon Us!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to my suggestions box being spammed with YouTubers pretending to be scared for money while they play Resident Evil 7 because I made the mistake of looking the game up once. As much as I hope the game will bomb the PewDiePie audience is going to eat it up.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Having Zelda alone (yes, even as a Wii U title as well) makes this launch infinitely better than most.

Well sure if you're a Zelda fan along with ignoring as you pointed out that BOTW is also launching on the WiiU. If not you're pretty much SOL.

Jayhosh wrote:
and this thing can play freaking SKYRIM! As far as portable gaming goes, that's pretty darn cool.

This would be a big deal.....if Skyrim hadn't came out all the way back in 2011.

Jayhosh wrote:
Nintendo consolidating their console and portable divisions can only be a good thing to allow the level of games to release at a steady flow, as opposed to with the Wii U and 3DS, where there would be large chunks of time with little to no noteworthy releases for one or the other.

....Which wasn't because Nintendo was publishing games for both systems but because with the WiiU Nintendo didn't know what the hell they were doing with regards to choosing which games to make, when to get them out, and even when to market them.
This isn't even getting into the WiiU's sparse lack of third party support.

Jayhosh wrote:
And with the aforementioned Japanese market being obsessed with high-end portable gaming, even if it fails in the west, I can easily see it doing better than at least the Gamecube due to sales in Japan.

....Even if it does well in Japan it potentially underperforming in the North American and European markets would still be a pretty big problem.

Jayhosh wrote:
Also, your second paragraph is just outright untrue. I'm not sure what fantasy world you guys are in, but Nintendo is not bleeding money in the way that you think they are

I didn't say anything about them hemorrhaging money. But you can't sit there with a straight face and tell me that if the Switch under performs just like the WiiU Nintendo is going to make another console since that would be the height of idiocy and desperation.

Jayhosh wrote:
(hell, Sony, who has far and away the most successful console of the past generation, is in much worse shape financially).

Yes do to having multiple different divisions that financially didn't pan out for them. Not because they're only investing a lot money into their gaming division and not making the money back.

Jayhosh wrote:
They sold 100+ million Wii U units

Eventhough that is true they only sold that much do to chasing after an audience they couldn't retain for the WiiU

Jayhosh wrote:
60+ million 3DS's.

I have no problem with the 3DS I'm talking about their console division which if you look at everything following the SNES has weirdly been trending downward with the exception of the Wii.

Jayhosh wrote:
They've made enough bank to be able to weather multiple failed consoles if they desire to.

But they're not since all their doing by investing money into consoles that are going to bomb is wasting money and their time.

Jayhosh wrote:
They have been for over a hundred years, and they're not about to just go third party and stop making hardware because they had one recent flop.

This "recent" flop was one of the two systems that succeeded the gamecube which itself was something of a flop.

Jayhosh wrote:
The 3DS is going to be dead in a year, and the Switch is intended to be its replacement.

Nintendo hasn't said this, has no reason to say it, so I'm just going to take this with skepticism. Plus I'm not of the mind Nintendo wasted a bunch of money with the New Nintendo 3DS only to kill it off after 4 years along with the 3DS line as whole.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Jayhosh wrote:
and this thing can play freaking SKYRIM! As far as portable gaming goes, that's pretty darn cool.

This would be a big deal.....if Skyrim hadn't came out all the way back in 2011.

Aren't they getting the Special Edition, though, which came out fairly late last year?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Skyrim is a timeless game, and it is aging well. I hope I live long enough to play the sequel.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Well sure if you're a Zelda fan along with ignoring as you pointed out that BOTW is also launching on the WiiU. If not you're pretty much SOL.

As you yourself make obvious, a lot of people didn't own a Wii U. It might as well be a brand new game to them. I know a lot of people who never owned one who are buying Switch almost entirely because of it. It's a legit system seller in that regard.

Quote:

The point is that you're playing a game as expansive and complex as Skyrim on a portable system. I know it's a five year old game.

Quote:
....Which wasn't because Nintendo was publishing games for both systems but because with the WiiU Nintendo didn't know what the hell they were doing with regards to choosing which games to make, when to get them out, and even when to market them.
This isn't even getting into the WiiU's sparse lack of third party support.

It WAS partially due to that. The point is, even if the Switch retains a low amount of third party support, it being Nintendo's sole platform to develop for will allow for more first party games to be produced at a faster rate.

Quote:
....Even if it does well in Japan it potentially underperforming in the North American and European markets would still be a pretty big problem.

Not so much if it ends up selling even half as well as the 3DS.

Quote:
I didn't say anything about them hemorrhaging money. But you can't sit there with a straight face and tell me that if the Switch under performs just like the WiiU Nintendo is going to make another console since that would be the height of idiocy and desperation.

Yes. I can. They've been doing it for decades. What people like you are doing is completely ignoring all of their recent successes while focusing heavily on their few failures. The Wii alone made sure that they were set for a very long time. Yes, it's true that nobody wants to see them continue to release poorly performing consoles until they go bankrupt 50 years from now, but I have high doubt that they would ever go third party. It's not in their MO. They are a toy company first and foremost.

Quote:
Yes do to having multiple different divisions that financially didn't pan out for them. Not because they're only investing a lot money into their gaming division and not making the money back.

It doesn't matter what the precise cause is. Their business as a whole has not been as profitable. The point is that it's innaccurate to claim that Nintendo is bleeding money, which you specifically may not have insinuated, but others here have.

Quote:
Eventhough that is true they only sold that much do to chasing after an audience they couldn't retain for the WiiU

What's your point? Money is money, regardless of the demographic responsible for it. Obviously the Wii U failed at attracting that same audience. Neither I or anyone else is arguing that.

Quote:
But they're not since all their doing by investing money into consoles that are going to bomb is wasting money and their time.

What? Aside from the Wii U, name a single business venture they've done in the last ten years that hasn't been successful in the long run. Not only that, but they also have some of the highest games purchased per system ratio of any of the other consoles. You're so sure of such an undefined circumstance.

Quote:
This "recent" flop was one of the two systems that succeeded the gamecube which itself was something of a flop.

The Gamecube was hardly a flop. Not the roaring success Nintendo expected it to be either, but it was no Virtual Boy. And again, the GBA was selling gangbusters right beside it. You talk about how their console business isn't as successful as their portable systems in the last 20 years, but that's exactly the point. The immense success of those aforementioned portable systems has more than kept them afloat, and will continue to for some time I'm sure. That's why the Switch's capability as a handheld is so crucial here.

Quote:
Nintendo hasn't said this, has no reason to say it, so I'm just going to take this with skepticism. Plus I'm not of the mind Nintendo wasted a bunch of money with the New Nintendo 3DS only to kill it off after 4 years along with the 3DS line as whole.

No, they haven't. But do you really think that isn't exactly the case? If it's supposed to be a hybrid system of which the one function is as a handheld, why would they continue to support the 3DS, or even develop an entirely new dedicated portable, thus defeating the entire point of the Switch? Yeah, they've said "oh yeah, we're definitely gonna continue supporting the 3DS alongside the Switch," but we saw how well that worked out with the Wii U. The 3DS is closing in on 6 years old since it launched, that's more than long enough for an average system's lifetime. The only reason they haven't completely buried the 3DS yet is because they know they can still squeeze some potential last minute sales and adopters for it before they do so.

And why is that hard for you to believe? The New 3DS was just a model revision. All systems get them, and it usually is later in their life cycles. Sure it had a few exclusive games, but that was more of a marketing facade than anything.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
I know a lot of people who never owned one who are buying Switch almost entirely because of it. It's a legit system seller in that regard.

Apparently people didn't wisen up with this after the PS3.

Jayhosh wrote:
The point is that you're playing a game as expansive and complex as Skyrim on a portable system.

I don't really see it being playable on a portable as a big deal, excusing the fact that it's a port of a 6 year old game, and when BOTW is doing the same exact thing of offering gamers an expansive and complex sandbox to play in.

Jayhosh wrote:
The point is, even if the Switch retains a low amount of third party support, it being Nintendo's sole platform to develop for will allow for more first party games to be produced at a faster rate.

Yes pretty much screwing over those who don't want to buy a Switch, potentially putting Nintendo in a awkward position if the Switch bombs, and disregarding the fact that they don't need to consolidate both divisions and their libraries to achieve that. As the production output of the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii against the production output of the Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, & DS showed they're easily capable of putting out first party titles at good clip.

Jayhosh wrote:
Not so much if it ends up selling even half as well as the 3DS.

Which we have no reason to assume will be the case at this juncture especially if you remember my previous comment about the sales of Nintendo's Consoles trending downward. And that's not even getting into the fact it would have to sell that 30.5/33.5 million at a much better clip than what the WiiU sold in the timeframe it had after launching in 2012.

Jayhosh wrote:
They've been doing it for decades.

They've been it doing it for decades because people have been buying their systems in considerable numbers in order to justify making new ones....not just doing it for the hell of it (or because they're flushed with cash). They do not want the Switch selling as weakly as the WiiU let alone the Gamecube.

Jayhosh wrote:
What people like you are doing is completely ignoring all of their recent successes

You mean the ones that have nothing to do with their console division and which I didn't ignore?

Jayhosh wrote:
while focusing heavily on their few failures.

Because some of those "few" failures that cropped up with the gamecube, wii, or wiiU are cropping up for the Switch.

Like their inability to establish a good online infrastructure for their devices. Selling accessories for ridiculous prices, Launching the system with a game that was originally exclusive to another console because they weren't confident it would sell very well on the system it was originally designed for.

Jayhosh wrote:
The Wii alone made sure that they were set for a very long time.

The Wii alone is part of why they're now desperately putting out the Switch a few years and a few months early.

Jayhosh wrote:
but I have high doubt that they would ever go third party.

This would be true if Super Mario Run and Miitomo weren't a thing. Those at least show they're willing to bring their properties to non-nintendo branded devices.

Jayhosh wrote:
It's not in their MO. They are a toy company first and foremost.

They're a video game company first and foremost and Nintendo likes rereleasing old stuff on new systems, they don't lose anything putting their old games on IOS or Android devices which as mentioned they're already doing or lose much by bringing newer stuff to whatever non Nintendo branded console they put out.

Jayhosh wrote:
The point is that it's innaccurate to claim that Nintendo is bleeding money,

Yes which as I mentioned I never said making this claim which is inaccurate itself a moot point. Even if others said it, it makes little sense to point it out to me since I don't care.

Jayhosh wrote:

What's your point? Money is money, regardless of the demographic responsible for it. Obviously the Wii U failed at attracting that same audience. Neither I or anyone else is arguing that.

That's my point you're insisting that the with the Wii making bank for Nintendo, Nintendo can just ignore the WiiU selling horribly and potentially the Switch doing the same and just keep putting out new consoles even if they do the exact same. Because apparently being flushed with cash means a company can keep doing the exact same pointless things expecting different results.

Jayhosh wrote:
What? Aside from the Wii U, name a single business venture they've done in the last ten years that hasn't been successful in the long run.

Why the last ten years specifically why not the last 25 or so?

Because of it we're simply supposed to look at their success from that same timeframe of 10 years, that still brings a few problems into focus.

Wii - having a myriad of problems like shovelware and continuing the process of Nintendo barely having any third party support.

3DS - Launch being a dud. Which lead to price-cutting and foisting GBA games on early adopters (which never became widely available after the fact.)

Amiibos - which have had a problem with stock shortages and certain figures being store exclusive.

Super Mario Run - needing constant internet connection and their stock dropping 7 points after release due to mixed reviews.

Yes these ventures (with the exception of the last) have paid off in the long term but they still had issues.

Jayhosh wrote:
You're so sure of such an undefined circumstance.

Much like you're sure with little more than a gut feeling the Switch is going to sell 30-33.5 million units?

Jayhosh wrote:
The Gamecube was hardly a flop.

The system sold 21 million units, the system that preceded it, the N64?

32 Million, I don't see how you can spin that as "hardly a flop".

Jayhosh wrote:
the GBA was selling gangbusters right beside it.

Yes it did by a much much larger and laughable margin.

Jayhosh wrote:
You talk about how their console business isn't as successful as their portable systems in the last 20 years, but that's exactly the point. The immense success of those aforementioned portable systems has more than kept them afloat, and will continue to for some time I'm sure.

....Then why are we supposed to pretend that the success of their handhelds will allow them to keep putting out consoles no one will buy if they can simply rely on their handhelds to allow them to rake in money.

Jayhosh wrote:
That's why the Switch's capability as a handheld is so crucial here.

It's a console with a secondary function as being used as a portable device. The only crucial thing that going to matter is if Nintendo and the companies that are going to be supporting the system can make the system worth getting. It's handheld capabilities aren't as important as that.

Jayhosh wrote:
why would they continue to support the 3DS,

Because as mentioned earlier they have zero reason to cannibalize the 3DS simply to make the Switch the only system they focus on.

Jayhosh wrote:
or even develop an entirely new dedicated portable, thus defeating the entire point of the Switch?

The Switch was designed primarily as a console that allows you to play your console games on the go which is not unlike what Sony attempted to do with Cross play functionality between the PS3/PS4 and Vita. Having the 3DS and Switch co-exist at the same time doesn't defeat "this" purpose you mention nor does it prevent Nintendo from releasing first party titles at a faster rate.

Jayhosh wrote:
but we saw how well that worked out with the Wii U.

Difference is the WiiU was deadweight that Nintendo couldn't wait to cut loose.

[quote="Jayhosh"]The 3DS is closing in on 6 years old since it launched, that's more than long enough for an average system's lifetime.

Well sure if you ignore the fact that Nintendo devices have inconsistent life spans. And that it took til 2001 for Nintendo to completely bury the Gameboy.

Jayhosh wrote:
The only reason they haven't completely buried the 3DS yet is because they know they can still squeeze some potential last minute sales and adopters for it before they do so.

That or the fact that while they're prone to stupid and hasty decisions Nintendo has enough sense to know not to put all their eggs in one basket.

Jayhosh wrote:
The New 3DS was just a model revision.

Yes one that was designed specifically to work with Amiibos and play exclusives games. Which means if they dump all the money they did into doing all that just to put the system out to pasture to elevate the Switch. That's another "stupid" decision in a long number of bad decisions Nintendo has made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3