• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: CHAOS;CHILD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
As someone who hasn't played the visual novel I"m enjoying the series, but could someone who has let me know if they're rushing through this like Chaos;Head? It seems to be better, but I would like to know without any spoilers.

Yes, it is extremely rushed. The anime is crap compared to the VN. If you're enjoying it, you'll absolutely love the VN. I go into more detail why in my previous comments, but you might feel they're spoilers. Actually, if you really don't want to spoil your experience with the VN, drop the anime right now. Believe me, you'll regret having been spoiled by the anime on everything that's gonna happen from now on.

Just think about this: Chaos;Child's common route is longer than the entirety of Steins;Gate. They gave S;G 24 episodes, but C;C only got 12.

#867655 wrote:
I don't understand people who say the plot twist come from no where, it is a mystery anime we will have all the element at the end. It was exactly the same in Steins;Gate ( many things was modified ad we undertood why far after ). And like in Steins;Gate ( again ) their is things people trust in the anime which are false ( doors are not opened by the hero for me and their is certainly other things they trust but false, in Steins;Gate : the sex changement, time is not a facter for send message )
So to judge this anime please wait the end.

I'll just say everything will make sense in the end.
Selipse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
DON'T WATCH EPISODE 8

If you're planning on reading the VN, ever, just drop the anime right now.

We're at the point of no return.

The anime just botched the biggest reveal of the game. I can't go into detail on why and how, since that'd be spoilers, but I'll just say for now that this happens in another route that unlocks after you've finished the main story.
I expected this to happen, but goddamnit.

Anyways, seems like the main route will be done in probably another 2 episodes.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:08 am Reply with quote
Judging from the recent development, I might want to inflict myself with self-induced amnesia if the VN ever gets translated to English.

I still can't believe why the production commitee decided that this could be one cour. It could've been the next Steins;Gate anime.
Selipse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Judging from the recent development, I might want to inflict myself with self-induced amnesia if the VN ever gets translated to English.

I still can't believe why the production commitee decided that this could be one cour. It could've been the next Steins;Gate anime.

There's been quite a lot of rumors and teasing that PQube is releasing it, maybe this year.

Yeah, it would've been the next S;G, probably even bigger. Goddammit, Chiyomaru.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:

There's been quite a lot of rumors and teasing that PQube is releasing it, maybe this year.

Yeah, it would've been the next S;G, probably even bigger. Goddammit, Chiyomaru.

Why did they think one cour was a good idea? That was why people hated Chaos;Head, it was too short!
Selipse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
The only things that's happened so far that was in a different route is Nono's reveal. Everything else happens in the main route, complete with Nono confronting Serika and all (of course, not with Senri's appearance).
But, yeah, there's definitely breathing time between reveals. The anime is just adapting at a crazy pace. (As I previously said, the main route is longer than the entirety of the Steins;Gate visual novel, so I believe Chaos;Child needed 24 episodes to adapt the main route only.)

I'm really not sure whether they'll even properly explain Serika and Takuru's backstory. Seems like all those visual-only flashbacks were there to get it over with. The main route will probably end next episode, leaving 2 episodes for True. So yeah, don't get your hopes up for some emotional aftermath. There's still plenty to go.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:

I'm really not sure whether they'll even properly explain Serika and Takuru's backstory. Seems like all those visual-only flashbacks were there to get it over with. The main route will probably end next episode, leaving 2 episodes for True. So yeah, don't get your hopes up for some emotional aftermath. There's still plenty to go.

If there's still more we don't know about the characters, I guess there're still some surprises we haven't known from the VN. That feels reassuring for some reason.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
As someone who hasn't played the visual novel I"m enjoying the series, but could someone who has let me know if they're rushing through this like Chaos;Head? It seems to be better, but I would like to know without any spoilers.
My experience with the Chaos;Child VN was limited to live twitch playthroughs, but I have played the Chaos;Head VN and watched the anime. It's somewhat hard to say - in Chaos;Head, the anime was just plot point after plot point, so as an adaptation the Chaos;Child anime is clearly better. But they are certainly rushing through things - early on, this meant skipping negative delusions, which was a shame, as those were always entertaining, but not integral at the time to the story, but now it has mixed reveals around and so on and cracks are beginning to open up. Overall, it'll still probably be better than Chaos;Head anime, but not by much when all is said and done.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

Why did they think one cour was a good idea? That was why people hated Chaos;Head, it was too short!

I've been wondering about that, too. I watched Chaos;Head after Steins;Gate, and I was initially surprised by how lackluster it seemed in comparison. Then I put some thought into why I felt this way, and realized that it felt like the series never had enough time to develop concepts or characters very well, which wasn't a problem for Steins;Gate. At that point, I realized blame largely rested with the obvious culprit of Chaos;Head being half the length. Needless to say, I wasn't too thrilled to find out that Child would only have 12 episodes since it seemed like they would walk into the same trap as before. Overall, I'd still say it is better than Head, but the same issues I had before are still there.
Selipse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow, the beginning of this episode was actually quite good, with those anime-original scenes. It would've been better if they hadn't revealed Serika's identity last episode, though. And the rest of the episode was still bad.
Takuru finally said 情弱! A central theme of the story and it's only mentioned until the third-to-last episode. Plus, the subs do away with any of its importance. Fantastic. (It's understandable, though. Can't really get its nuance across with how little it was mentioned.)

Well, next episode will definitely mark the end for the main route. Only one episode for True, huh? Well, it's not that long, anyways. It'll be in line with the pacing of the rest of the series.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
Dunno, why people hate pace and plot twists told us like that. I mean it's still fun. After watching all other SciAdv universe titles, i'm just really hungry for more story and protagonists fight against Comittee 300.
Selipse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote
So, they won't be able to actually adapt True. But there's no way they're not finding some way to cram some of the reveals into the next episode, otherwise there wouldn't be any point in doing that stupid Nono reveal.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
As long as the anime doesn't show all the cards the VN has, I'm good.

I'm really curious to play the game now. I'll be disappointed if by the time I get to play it, they've run out of reveals. Sad
Selipse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, funny you mention Hana. Yeah, she has no real purpose in the main story. Apparently Chiyomaru just forced the writer to include her in some way. The writer then solved it by making her a mute character. Laughing
She does have a route that explores her character, and, even though it's the most controversial since it doesn't really fit the themes of the novel, I absolutely love it.

Uki certainly has more of a purpose, mainly the mystery behind her that I mentioned earlier and her integrating into Takuru's family. Her route is also more thematically related to the main story, but I actually liked it the least.

Anyways, yeah, it was bad. The middle of the episode was reaaally badly done. The sound directing, the editing, the layouts, the animation... it was all a mess. The orchestral versions of Hijitsuzai Seishounen and Singularity were absolutely fantastic, though.

Also, now that's what I call a non-ending. It just ended right at the beginning of the True route.

There's still a bit more to reveal regarding the main story, and the themes really come to fruition during True, so there's still something more to get out of the novel if you just skip the OVA or whatever they're doing. Plus the heroine routes, of course (even though the greatest reveal in one of them was already spoiled).

I'll go back over the series and comparing where it went wrong in relation to the novel on the weekend. I especially want to go over Nono's case.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
@ Selipse - I'd appreciate that, actually. I don't intend to ever read the VN but I am curious about differences between it and the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3