Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Masamune-kun's Revenge


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lemonchest



Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Posts: 1401
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
So I'm guessing by the end he'll either have realized that obsessing over getting his revenge on her isn't worth it & move on, or he'll fall for her all over again? Though knowing anime, more likely it'll go nowhere but always look like it's about to so you keep wanting more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ICO44



Joined: 28 Aug 2015
Posts: 47
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I watched 2 eps of this show and I think Im going to drop this. so far everything about this show is boring. dull story, dull visuals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Treeborn



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 577
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
ICO44 wrote:
dull visuals.


How so? Like, as opposed to what sort of animation style for this genre? I actually find the visuals quite pleasant, so I'm curious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ICO44



Joined: 28 Aug 2015
Posts: 47
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
ICO44 wrote:
dull visuals.


How so? Like, as opposed to what sort of animation style for this genre? I actually find the visuals quite pleasant, so I'm curious.


For me personally i find the character design really boring and very typical and background art looks noting special.

If u look at show like scum's wish there is distinct look to the character design and I really like how they frame some shots like manga panel. it gives the show unique look to it but
Masamuhe-Kun's Revenge other hand looks really dull by comparison.

But don't take it as fact, it just how i felt after watching the first two eps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bwcbwc



Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 57
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
This show is giving me something of a Toradora vibe. There's already some foreshadowing when Masamune mentions that he almost fell for her. They both have shells around their true personalities that deserve to be broken.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chaos Wings



Joined: 05 May 2015
Posts: 111
Location: Your guess is as good as mine?!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I've actually been enjoying this series quite a lot so far, more so than I was expecting especially after reading the preview guide. When I first heard about its premise it definitely sounded interesting and quite unique with the potential to be a lot of fun.

Going by everyone's general thoughts in the guide however the show seems to have garnered a more negative response, most specifically concerning the characters. They may not be instantly likable (for obvious reasons it is a revenge story after all), but I don't think they are actively hateable either. Aki's antics may not be very nice, even so I can still see the funny side of her grandiose rejection methods (remembering this is anime, not real-life). Masamune himself comes across as an interesting protag (a cut above the usual) with his heavy doses of narcissism and cynical outlook towards peer social groups. I'd view him as a more popular and petty minded version Hachiman Hikigaya all things considered. He's got a personality though, which itself appears ripe for some decent introspection as the series moves forward in any event.

Overall I'd say most of the characters come across as intriguing and layered, there's definitely a general tone that their inner & outer personalities are fairly contradictory. They all feel like they have their own things going on that don't seem to stem from the standard motivations. Which is why I hope this story manages to reach some sort of conclusion or good stopping point otherwise it could be one of the more frustrating kind of non-endings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Treeborn



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 577
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
@ICO44 Oh, I see, I see. I thought you were referring strictly to the character designs, but you're talking about the use of pillow shots and other framework that's used in a way that emphasizes what the characters are saying and feeling; the directing, basically. While I disagree that the character designs are bland, I will agree that the directing is somewhat simplistic.

Unfortunately, given the material, I don't think much can be done about that. Its not dramatic enough for those long sullen shots, and it's not wacky enough for flashy stuff either. Still, as the reviewer said, there does seem to be potential for some dramatic twists brewing in the first three episodes, and I think that's the reason I'm enjoying the series as much as I am. I'm hopeful.

A few of the characters are lacking in depth, but some, like Yoshino, seem to have stuff going on that I'm hoping is fleshed out into something meaningful. Makabe also seems to have that quality, though not as much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zztop



Joined: 28 Aug 2014
Posts: 305
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
I've actually been enjoying this series quite a lot so far, more so than I was expecting especially after reading the preview guide. When I first heard about its premise it definitely sounded interesting and quite unique with the potential to be a lot of fun...

Which is why I hope this story manages to reach some sort of conclusion or good stopping point otherwise it could be one of the more frustrating kind of non-endings.


The recent manga chapter covered a climatic event in an arc where spoiler[Masamune admitted to Aki that he was the real fatty from their childhood (there was a fake Masamune lookalike whom Aki was getting smitten with - plus the fake was a fat girl dressed like a boy).] The next chapter's slated to be a side story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiibi



Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3738
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I think all the characters are quite likable and I don't agree with the review saying they are "inconsistent".

Sure, Aki has no problem boldly rejecting the boys at her school because she knows them. She does all her research and then rejects them. She's not afraid of them.

The creepy otaku freaked her out because he's a total stranger she knows nothing about, creepy, and likely twice her age. Most teenaged girls would try to escape (unless you're Taiga Aisaka and just intimidate your "fan" lol). Also, I found it cute how she hid behind Makabe like "KYA SAVE ME!" xD

As for Yoshino being cruel, she's probably a sadist. She keeps using Makabe's nickname that he hates and she's well aware he hates it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6540
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She claims that she wants to take Aki down a peg for her own good, but I'm not buying that; you wouldn't play a cruel joke on your master like convincing her that a cosplay outfit is proper attire for a first date if that's all you intended.

After this episode, I'm thinking that Yoshino's endgame is breaking Aki out of her shell, rather than revenge. Enlisting Masamune's help and redirecting his revenge energies are part of it.

The fact that she could convince her that cosplay is proper first date etiquette means that this really was her first date, ever. Obviously Aki's shell is pretty thick or she would've picked up the lie just from being around other people who have a normal social life, or even watch tv or movies or play dating sims, which apparently are also not part of Aki's life (she rented a whole theater to avoid other people and didn't know it was a horror movie). So I think this was Yoshino's way of getting her to depend on someone else for a change (someone she can't order around anyway), and opening her eyes a bit to the real world outside her well-controlled comfort zone. Extreme measures were necessary.

That's not saying Yoshino isn't a little bit evil (who isn't?), but I believe her when she says her plan is to help Aki, not hurt her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
getchman
He started itHe started it


Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 8404
Location: Bedford, NH
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
so, the scene with Aki quizzing Makabe, what was up with the last one. Was that some sort of bizarre humor, in which case it worked, because it thought it was hilarious, or a mistranslation of what Aki asked?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Chiibi



Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3738
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
so, the scene with Aki quizzing Makabe, what was up with the last one. Was that some sort of bizarre humor, in which case it worked, because it thought it was hilarious, or a mistranslation of what Aki asked?


It was indeed hilarious....but I'd have to rewatch it to figure out if there's a translation error.

.........someone could beat me to it. Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 14898
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
After this episode, I'm thinking that Yoshino's endgame is breaking Aki out of her shell, rather than revenge. Enlisting Masamune's help and redirecting his revenge energies are part of it.

I agree with your description later in this post about the kind of shell Aki may be in. However, I have a hard time believing that someone who's trying to rattle a person with an old nickname they're trying to keep secret is being that altruistic. (Though I supposed she might have intended it as some kind of blackmail?) Further, Yoshino has struck me from the beginning more as a long-suffering servant than one who's absolutely devoted (which is the much more common scenario here). And I can't see someone like that going to that extent to help their master unless there was something in it for them - sport, perhaps? Entertainment value, maybe?

Chibi wrote:

Sure, Aki has no problem boldly rejecting the boys at her school because she knows them. She does all her research and then rejects them. She's not afraid of them.

The creepy otaku freaked her out because he's a total stranger she knows nothing about, creepy, and likely twice her age.

Seems plausible. We'll wait and see if there are enough scenes in future episodes to support this further.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6540
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And I can't see someone like that going to that extent to help their master unless there was something in it for them - sport, perhaps? Entertainment value, maybe?

I think she's getting that entertainment from snarking on Masamune with the nickname. Like I said, she's a little bit evil. As for what she gets out of this in the end, maybe a friend instead of a master?

As for the lengths she's willing to go, Masamune's illness was shown not to be her doing, but Aki's fever keeping her home from the test sure was convenient, wasn't it...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuza



Joined: 15 Jan 2017
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:23 am Reply with quote
Read the manga a while back and just got more and more pissed off. I liked the cute character designs but pretty much every character is mean-spirited or just stupid.

The writing is also cliche and unfocused. It keeps going in different directions and doesn't even tease the relationship right. Main couple don't really have chemistry, she's just a standard bitchy tsundere with a fragile ego and he's pretty much the same just not rich and sheltered.

On a side note why is it so many light novel protagonists are either a generic, useless everyman or a conceited asshole? It's like they tried so hard not to make a character who was boring that they just reversed the self-deprecation rather than try to understand human emotion. Narcissistic protagonists aren't entertaining when they're just as shallow as the useless "normal" ones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group