• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Masamune-kun's Revenge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
neither Makabe nor Aki are strong or likable enough characters to be compelling

Strongly disagree with this. Especially Makabe.

Of course....I just dove into the manga and it's amazing in the latter half; anime adaptation just got the short end of the stick. Everyone who liked this show but is disappointed with no ship resolve should really really read the manga.

Because if you don't ship AkixMakabe now: spoiler[You WILL once you see the whole backstory of their childhood together. They're freaking adorable; there's nothing else for it.]

Other reasons to read this:

1. THIS DOESN'T GO HAREM AT ALL. It stays a triangle. And the author really comes up with some clever ways to introduce new girls without making them fall for Makabe. So the male audience still gets their fanservice....but that's all it really is.

2. Makabe Masamune is an EXCELLENT romcom protagonist. One of the very best I have seen. For one thing, he's his own person. He doesn't feel like a self-insert with a blank personality for otaku guys to project themselves on. Not every girl he meets falls head-over-heels for him, he's not indecisive or wishy-washy; rather, he's very strong-spirited. He has a fantastic personality; fabulously narcissistic dork (which makes him incredibly fun to watch and laugh at) On top of this, HE IS INTELLIGENT. He figures things out very quickly without them being spelled out for him. He will not hesitate to punch someone when they deserve to be punched. He's also delightfully devious. And despite all of this, he's still a human boy who can get his feelings hurt by cruel words and betrayal.

Basically, Masamune has just the right amount of flaws and strengths to be seen as a real teenager. And enough specific character traits to make him a unique individual.

3. Like most tsundere, Aki has a REALLY good reason for acting the way she does. Unlike more tsundere, she is not a violent girl. As a little kid, she was a complete sweetheart. You WILL pity her once you learn more about her. You will.

4. This manga doesn't drag on forever and ever with pointless filler. Nisekoi this is not.

5. There's not a single named character worth hating in this.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Strongly disagree with this. Especially Makabe.

Of course....I just dove into the manga and it's amazing in the latter half; anime adaptation just got the short end of the stick. Everyone who liked this show but is disappointed with no ship resolve should really really read the manga.

Because if you don't ship AkixMakabe now: spoiler[You WILL once you see the whole backstory of their childhood together. They're freaking adorable; there's nothing else for it.]

4. This manga doesn't drag on forever and ever with pointless filler. Nisekoi this is not.

5. There's not a single named character worth hating in this.

The problem with that is not everyone want to read the manga. (I myself prefer animation to manga personally)

Your points are true about the manga, (the anime was SO BORING I just read plot summaries only) but this is an adaptation and it has to be able to stand on it's own.

And while the anime hints at the later and better parts of the story, in the anime's current status of only 12 episodes (with no season 2 in sight) it just comes across as a generic and bland story filled with not-so-nice-people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5