• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Will Be Last Nintendo Game for Wii U

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:55 am Reply with quote
one final "fudge you" to those who bought a Wii U thinking it was going to last(i.e.:me).
Yeah,fudge you too,Nintendo.Hopefully you go the way of Sega...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Something to point out here: Games for the Gamecube that are beloved today were not necessarily so when they first came out. The standout example is The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, which was very hated up to its release because people couldn't stand the art style, that Link looked so young, the long sailing between islands, that it took a long time for Link to get a decent sword, collecting Triforce Shards, and that this game is the permanent end of Ganondorf (at least in that timeline). F-Zero GX didn't sell that well either due to its low profile and ties to the dying arcade scene in the west. There was quite a strong hatedom for Super Mario Sunshine when it first came out due to its tropical theme permeating the entire game, the bright cheery colors (not unlike Wind Waker), the voice acting, the FLUDD mechanic, and it moving even further from the get-to-the-end signature style for the Super Mario games to the point where New Super Mario Bros. was made to appease those complainers. (Not that the NSMB games are bad either...though they did get stale after a while.) Mario Kart: Double Dash!! was disliked due to the massive changes to the physics such as removing the jump and the overall heavier feel of its steering, as well as the gross imbalance between characters.

I'd say about the only major Gamecube release from Nintendo that is very well-liked today that was just as well-liked when it first came out is Super Smash Bros. Melee. Possibly Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, but the Paper Mario fandom has never been a major one. Otherwise, the Gamecube was deemed as a failure of a system during its entire life too, compared unfavorably to the Nintendo 64 (which was, in turn, deemed a failure of a system compared to the Super Nintendo during its own time).

In any case, my point is that there will likely be some Wii U games that will be more liked in the future than they currently are. I don't know which ones they'll be, but there hasn't been a home system Nintendo's released yet without at least one game or franchise that became popular after the system was discontinued.

Jayhosh wrote:
Also, Nintendo's always made consoles with "gimmicks" (not an inherently bad term, btw). They're a toy company, after all. The Gamecube had a f*cking carrying handle on it people.

The NES itself was also a gimmicky system: It could support two controllers, had a Robotic Operating Buddy and a light gun, allowed save cartridges on the system, and used a D-pad instead of a joystick (to where Nintendo patented the + shape, though that has since expired).

People stop thinking of something as a gimmick when it becomes a staple of the medium, though that takes time. Yeah, the handle was not preserved, and neither were the tiny discs, but people have to remember that portable video gaming was once a gimmick.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote
While 10+ years of Japan producing the Wii and its variants is long, look at PlayStation. It and its variants have have been produced for over 22 years there. Good luck, Nintendo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2