• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 6-Year-Old Idol Skips Kindergarten After TV Program Falsely Reports Boy She Likes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
And so we have another point of interest that would garner comments like how messed up Japan is and so on. Don't know what's what but personally, child idol seemed no different than other child entertainer across the world, and I'm pretty sure there are other child idol that isn't from Japan, that is if you wanna think that an idol is different from entertainer. Hell, there's a local program here (I have no idea whether it is still airing) that promoted childrens the age of 6 to join up and sing and dance on the stage, called "Bintang Kecil" or something. There's a lot of controversy surrounding that very show and I believe it may have been cancelled already but the point is, there's nothing special about Japan having a child idol when there are other countries with similar description. If those non-Japanese idol kids received nation wide fame and glamour, sure as hell everything that they were involved with would show up on paper and TV. Of course, their documentation isn't going to be written here afterall, since it's a website that focused on stuff from Japan.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:06 am Reply with quote
Two things I hate, Idol industry and Japanese TV in one article.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There is nothing inherently wrong with a group of people who sings and dances, there is just something wrong with how Japan's concept of them has warped to create these pieces of property who's only reason for existence is to make their fans happy. That sounds like a mind break hentai.

Thank you. Honestly, thank you!

There's a little thing in this world that the japanese entertainment industry has forgotten about as long as it comes to idols, and is referred to as "HUMAN F*CKING RIGHTS"! Seriously, what the hell is wrong with their justice system? Why has no court yet deemed those "idol" contracts, which have the condition that the one who signs must not engage into any kind of romantic and/or sexual relationship with other people, invalid??? (if anyone knows if there is indeed any court decision that defies that system please give me the link). Why have they yet to condemn the idol culture in general, as opposing to the fundamental human right of sexual freedom, for their fundamental premise is to treat people like objects??? Isn't that basically what a prostitution cartel does??? Why did Aya Hirano's career had to suffer a tremendous blow, only because she dared to act like a normal human being with a life outside of her work, and only because she voiced a popular anime character (Haruhi Suzumiya)??

Aaaand, the reason comes tooooo... MONEY. Seriously, the reason that idol culture is still a thing, is not as much as fullfilling fantasies as the tremendous amount of cash there is to be made out of it. No one would want to be an idol and be ripped off some of their basic human rights unless there was a HUUUUGE compensation to follow behind. The video with the shaved head and the begging speaks tones about this, and the amount of money idols make is usually enormous for just standing there and look pretty most of the time. So people just decide to suck it up for some time, make money and then get the hell out.

So, human rights are equal but some human rights are more equal than others I suppose? Like economic freedom is more important than sexual freedom?

And I disagree with those who say that this shouldn't be on the news. It sure damn well needs to be on the news, hoping that someday, someone will do something about this disgusting practice.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
This story[/url] reports that Ai-chan does indeed sing and dance and includes the comment
Quote:
Afterwards, they also interviewed fans and asked why they enjoy watching a little girl sing on stage. Some people said that with Ai-chan, they don’t have to worry about any kind of scandal ruining her image. Others said that it made them feel like parents themselves, rooting her on and hoping she does well.

Again, the difference is in the target audience. Everything I've seen about these child idols indicates that their "fans" are mostly adult men, and the fact that they allow for paid meet-and-greets, I think, is a bit ways telling that they're not advertising these little girls to other elementary school kids. Unless you're aware of some news that these idols are primarily the fans of school-children, in which case I'd like to know, but I haven't heard/seen anything along those lines.

I posted these before from the previous article some years back, but here they are again: photos from the Girlfriend elementary idol meet-and-greets. What alarmed me about the news coverage about the incident at the time was how there was only mention about how a single fan was acting overly aggressive --- the Japanese coverage didn't seem to be alarmed that all these adult men are crowding around and physically interacting with these little girls.

You can try to compare with the US industry, but I'm pretty sure this wouldn't fly here.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:58 am Reply with quote
I found the whole Girlfriends thing disgusting as well. All I was saying is I haven't seen any evidence that Ai-chan is being exploited in the same way.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Again, the difference is in the target audience. Everything I've seen about these child idols indicates that their "fans" are mostly adult men, and the fact that they allow for paid meet-and-greets, I think, is a bit ways telling that they're not advertising these little girls to other elementary school kids. Unless you're aware of some news that these idols are primarily the fans of school-children, in which case I'd like to know, but I haven't heard/seen anything along those lines.

I posted these before from the previous article some years back, but here they are again: photos from the Girlfriend elementary idol meet-and-greets. What alarmed me about the news coverage about the incident at the time was how there was only mention about how a single fan was acting overly aggressive --- the Japanese coverage didn't seem to be alarmed that all these adult men are crowding around and physically interacting with these little girls.

You can try to compare with the US industry, but I'm pretty sure this wouldn't fly here.

Certainly. The cultural differences are pretty apparent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
In terms of idols and thinIn terms of idols and things like beauty pageants, I think a person should be at least 16 or 17. While I am a free speech fan, such a practice happens here, I actually applaud if that free speech is stepped upon.gs like beauty pageants, I think a person should be at least 16 or 17. While I am a free speech fan, such a practice happens here, I actually applaud if that free speech is stepped upon.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
This story[/url] reports that Ai-chan does indeed sing and dance and includes the comment
Quote:
Afterwards, they also interviewed fans and asked why they enjoy watching a little girl sing on stage. Some people said that with Ai-chan, they don’t have to worry about any kind of scandal ruining her image. Others said that it made them feel like parents themselves, rooting her on and hoping she does well.

Yep, even stuff like Toddler's and Tiaras is geared towards concerned parents and older women who watch it for the cringe factor unlike what you see in Japan. The cringe brings the ratings, publicity and dollars.
Chardow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
It's just a cultural matter. You guys should get over it. There's no evidence this idol thing is bad for children. And in fact they just sing, act and participate in some TV shows. I'm certain a lot of little girls are dying to be idols in Japan. It's not that different than hollywood kids anyway. Ok, I get it, demographic stuff about their fans being most adult mans. But, do you guys think this is really relevant? It's not like they're raping them. I'm not certain, but I also think this twister+handshaking thing is very rare with younger idols. And isn't child sex abuse numbers in Japan really low?

I just think you guys overeact a little.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
Idol culture as a whole is odious enough, but this is just vomit-inducing.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Ok the gross discussion/comments on masturbation end now. Obviously some people did not listen to errinundra's previous warning. So more posts, and responses to those posts, were removed or edited. Also no more photos posted of grown men inappropriately taking photos with little kids. Keep it civil folks and for the love of god keep it clean. This is a sensitive subject as is and some of you are being way too tasteless and crass with your posts.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
This is f*cking gross, to be honest. Japan needs to get over this obsession with purity. Even if she did like someone, why does it matter? I know why fans think it matters, but it doesn't. It's like a bunch of mental 5 year olds don't want their toy to be taken from them.

If they're mentally 5 years old, then that explains why they'd be so attached to a 6-year-old's romantic life (or lack thereof, but it doesn't matter--the rumors have been started, and gossip is more powerful than the truth).

Fenrin wrote:
What I want to know is who is her mother? I'd imagine a former idol having a kid at a young age would've been a bit scandalous.

The other thing is that, according to this article, her mother started this mess in the first place by talking about boys at her school she might have liked. Surely, if she was an idol prior, she should know better to not blurt out things that could cause a scandal.

Lemonchest wrote:
Good thing the adult man was there to reassure other adult men that the rumors of her romantic involvement were greatly exaggerated.

I read that just before tossing out some trash and I couldn't stop laughing until I finished.

Suena wrote:
Why would anyone care who a six-year-old has a crush on? Why would they give out the (supposed) crush's name? That's messed up.

That's celebrity culture for you. They're the modern day pantheon of gods: People want to know every little bit about their lives. Followers worship them, and in return, the celebrities or gods provide them with what they want. If the worshipees don't do such, the followers get upset.

Hoppy800 wrote:
Those girls playing twister and in that bus picture anyone remember that nightmare? Those were junior idols. Ai-chan is not that at all and is a regular idol and there are a number of them in Japan and even China is starting to have them (and they're a bit younger). It's still uncommon to see regular child idols, but it might increase. Kids shouldn't be idols, keep it in fiction please, it's not good for them.

Agreed. These kids aren't old enough to fully understand what they're doing and the kind of trouble they could get into, and the parents, I feel, are irresponsible for short-sightedly seeing the potential benefits (money, fame, connections, social status) while dismissing the downsides (scandals like this, even if perpetuated by exaggerations and lies, and a lack of any real childhood). More so if the parents pressure their kids into the celebrity life at a young age.

Treating a child like an adult can be good, but this was the worst possible way it could've happened.

Blood- wrote:
Sure, it starts with skipping a day or two of kindergarten. Which naturally leads to hanging around the "wrong" crowd. Suddenly, your new boyfriend is a yanqui with bleached blonde hair and a nose ring. He offers you a cigarette. Flashforward a couple of years, you're a toothless meth-head holding up convenie stores. The inevitable arc of a Japanese child star.

You might be confusing that with Disney Channel girls.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Ok the gross discussion/comments on masturbation end now. Obviously some people did not listen to errinundra's previous warning. So more posts, and responses to those posts, were removed or edited. Also no more photos posted of grown men inappropriately taking photos with little kids. Keep it civil folks and for the love of god keep it clean. This is a sensitive subject as is and some of you are being way too tasteless and crass with your posts.

Is that why the photos weren't reported on in the original article the other year? Was ANN afraid to cover the full extent of what's happening to child idols because they wanted to be sensitive towards their viewership?

Certainly I would hope that, as a news resource, ANN wouldn't be afraid to expose their viewership to the harsher realities of the industry. But even more so, my fear is that in Japan people might not even THINK photos like that are inappropriate anymore. I would have hoped for the media to lambast the men in those photos and the child idol industry for what they're doing --- instead, the most we heard was that one man who was actively being aggressive at the meetups was banned by the idol company from future meet-and-greets. Where was the public outcry? Does anyone care what's happening to these kids?

The news in this article wasn't even about the horrifying fact that we're talking about a 6-year-old idol, but rather, that said idol was embarrassed by a news reporter who felt it was okay to ask her a question about boys she liked. The fact that this elementary-age idol industry is possibly becoming normalized in Japanese culture in the first place is what I find frightening. If the news outlets start to act like any of this is normal, I'll have lost my faith that much more in humanity.

In any case, if it's alright, I'll at least leave the link to the original news blog with the images here: http://lightrend.com/light/post-5125/ I certainly hope that ANN can shed more light on what's going on with this industry and Japan's public perception of it, because right now I can't help but be concerned about how this child idol industry is developing.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
It's developing like it always has. Japanese culture has been worshipping youth since after WW2, and some might say before then as well. Their post-war work ethic has shown them that the best part of their lives was when they were just children in school as after they graduated they either spend the rest of their lives as NEETS, housewives with maybe one child, or wage slaves(aka; salarymen) working themselves 80 to 100 hours every week to an early grave with few family contacts, or no family at all. This is no excuse for what has happened to this little girl, as her mother was probably raised the same way so it's not surprising she has forced her daughter down the same path. But I too feel sorry for that little boy whose name got leaked by that programme. Indeed he has been tramatised in two ways. Rejection and mass humiliation. Who's speaking for him in defense I wonder? If he were my son I'd been seeking a lawsuit for damages and compensation from the TV station and the producers with a demand for a public apology from both. Evil or Very Mad
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

Japan is not a fearmongering country like America is. The public does not get alarmed because to rational people there is no reason to be alarmed. Japan is a country where children are allowed to walk to school without parents supervision, and sees very little crime. Unlike America, Japan does not suspect every stranger they meet to be a potential threat and give into hysteria. The past few months have shown me just how hysterical and overreacting a lot of Americans can be. Have you considered the problem lies within you rather than Japan or the industry? The odds of you being the one true enlightened person to see the light where millions others cannot is highly unlikely

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5