• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Touhou Genso Wanderer PS4/Vita Game's Trailer Highlights Partner Characters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I hope that we eventually get an actual official Touhou game on a console, instead of just the fangames.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
That one girl was called a one-horned hermit yet the SD version and that anime cut-scene don't show a horn. What the heck?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
That one girl was called a one-horned hermit yet the SD version and that anime cut-scene don't show a horn. What the heck?

Kasen's character title is 片腕有角の仙人 ("The One-Armed, Horned Hermit") in the manga. It's a reference to the Noh play "One-horned Hermit" (一角仙人 Ikkaku Sennin), as well as this bit of backstory:

Quote:

Concerning the "one armed" in her title, her usual appearance is with two arms. However, when Reimu Hakurei seized her right arm, as if she was defeated by Reimu's grasping power, it bent flabbily, and in the gaps of the bandages leaked out some smoke. Combined with the instance when she seemed to be looking for an arm, Kasen has originally lost her right arm, so she might have possibly used a kind of sorcery to use bandages to help.

When this arm touched with Reimu's Yin-Yang Orb, the right arm responded violently and scattered away. The principles behind this unknown, but Kasen immediately reconstructed the annihilated right arm. As the yin-yang orb is the shintai of the shrine blessed with exterminating youkai, she said something the main point of which was that carelessly touching it is dangerous, and since Kasen is a youkai or similar to youkai, it can be thus seen that the power which Kasen uses to make her right arm is of such (youkai) power. In chapter 16, she states that if she stopped drinking from the "Ibaraki Box of a Hundred Medicines", her arm will rot.

Concerning the "horned" in her title, at least in the range of what can be seen, nothing horn-like can be confirmed. Since she has chignon caps that could possibly hide them, it is currently unknown if they really are there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1