• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Sailor Moon [2017-01-21]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
... her other post Sailor Moon series were cancelled, including the one about female aliens that transform into cockroaches.

One has to wonder...

Edit; Before I answer the survey, are catgirls considered monster girls?
KML777

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:52 am Reply with quote
This new poll is probably the hardest one yet.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:
... her other post Sailor Moon series were cancelled, including the one about female aliens that transform into cockroaches.

One has to wonder...

Edit; Before I answer the survey, are catgirls considered monster girls?

Yes they are. However they are referred to as Werecats. So says the Monster Girl Encyclopedia. Very Happy
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I am glad that Super S movie proposed by Ikuhara was not made because we might not have the wonderful Utena tv series.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I assumed everyone HAD to loaded in this show. Anime hyper Usagi's house is totally huge.

I didn't know about a lot of the other stuff. Interesting.

And

monster guys >>>>>> monster girls, imho. :p
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
There is only one answer for the new poll.

All of the above Very Happy
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee wrote:
Mamoru Chiba is seen driving an Alfa Romeo SZ in the anime series, although Takeuchi at one point drew him as Tuxedo Mask driving a Porsche 962 LM in one of the art books. Haruka Tenoh has a Ferrari 512M in some manga art work, as well as owning motorcycles, helicopters, and a race car.

But those Porsche and Ferrari models are not street-legal! I question how anyone can suspend their disbelief when reading this series...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
What's my favorite monster girl species?

*looks shamefully at self in mirror, sighs, marks 'All of the above'"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee wrote:
Her dad works as a newspaper photographer and Ami's mother is an accomplished physician. Mako lives in an apartment in the area, presumably financed by her parent's life insurance.

And Minako, we're later hinted, lives off of her successful Sailor V manga and game licenses, after an overseas exchange stint in England.
It's only Rei that works at her family's struggling shrine, which manages to get by despite her grandfather hitting on all the charm-buying schoolgirls.

Quote:
He imagined the film as a Sailor Uranus and Neptune standalone story where Uranus had to steal a talisman from Sailor Moon and Co. to awaken a sleeping Neptune in a place called "The End of the World." He also mentions a face-off rodeo scene with two Pegasuses. Ikuhara is weird.

Although that would explain how we got the U&N spinoff during the SuperS "Special" (partly to make up for U&N not appearing in the SuperS series), and if you watch it, yes, Ikuhara is STILL weird. Shocked
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
monster guys >>>>>> monster girls, imho. :p

I agree, but I'd say monster men! I want big powerful masculine creatures of darkness! :D
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I like how "all of the above" is at the top of the list. Razz

(Selected "arachne/spider woman", though.)
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I assumed everyone HAD to loaded in this show. Anime hyper Usagi's house is totally huge.

I think that both you and Lynzee are conflating not-broke, not-working class, middle class people with the wealthy.

Usagi's house is actually quite average sized, even for an expensive city; Expensive cities, such as Vancouver and Toronto, do not automatically relegate middle class people to apartments & crappy neighbourhoods and people are willing to pay higher prices than they would get elsewhere because they love the city and the area.

The show states that Mamoru comes from a rich family and lives in an expensive high-rise apartment (though the design for his apartment certainly does not support that), goes to a nice school (I can't remember if he's there on a scholarship, in whole or in part) and while this means he is probably living off of his inheritance, he is certainly not flush with money the way a very wealthy person is: Part-time jobs; A scene where Mamoru looks at his empty wallet because he has splurged on an expensive outfit for Usagi. We could chalk this up to fantasy or writing inconsistency or the writers intending to say Mamoru is steady, but cool, and is just that good at handling his money, but it's never quite clear.

The main girls are middle class: The series highlights this by having other characters in the story who ARE wealthy and the girls' reactions to that:

The girls gaze in wonder at the chalet of Yuuichiro's family.

Rei: " I didn't know you were a rich boy.. Uh, I mean, from a good family."
Usagi: *sotto voce* "Rei, I hear there are some weirdos amongst the rich."
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
To be fair to Naoko Takeuchi, I don't think there's any shame in being a one-hit wonder if that one hit is something which is astronomically popular in Japan and many other countries worldwide. Mangaka like Rumiko Takahashi who have had many different hit anime based upon their work are honestly few and far between and most mangaka, even ones that have had their manga adapted into one or two late night anime, can really only dream of having a single hit as enduring as Sailor Moon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:

The main girls are middle class

Ami Mizuno is not by any means middle class. There's a scene in the manga where they test their new sword on a piece of diamond jewelry at her huge home and the sword breaks it. The girls freak out, but she says it's fine because her mother has a bunch more.

As for Usagi: http://www.tuxedounmasked.com/2015/11/14/is-usagi-really-just-an-average-girl

Her dad's income doesn't work out for how expensive her house would have been worth in 1992 in Juban. The land that it takes up alone is worth ¥356.25 million to ¥465.32 million. The Tsukino family is based on Takeuchi's own, and even prior to her own success from Sailor Moon, she came from a wealthy family.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
I like how "all of the above" is at the top of the list. Razz

(Selected "arachne/spider woman", though.)

You have great taste. Wink

On that note, why is Nyarlathotep on that list? I thought that was a god from Lovecraft mythology.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3