• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Saga of Tanya the Evil

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
A little disappointed after the reveal of Anson Sioux's miraculous recovery and new mission that he "blows" his chance to take out Tanya (twice?) by hesitating. However, I'm not one to quibble, the action and ending drama are amazing. Indeed, how many times in history have politicians restrained the military in obtaining total victory only to have a new war happen a few years later? Patton/Russia, Schwartzkopf/Iraq as two contemporary examples. I'd guess this means we will get a second season where maybe we'll see Mary Sioux as the hero (?) unless they pull another Marvel and have Anson pop back up after pulling Tanya's number from Ep2. I doubt the writers are so dumb as to do that though...

The anime has replaced Mary(whom I feel has the better motivation to go ham on Tanya)with Anson.

No one died, Tanya's men were shown to be alive-a cop out that.So why would Anson be dead at this point since he has taken over Mary's story line.

Only reason things go South for the Empire after the fall of not-France,would be the archangels scheming to deal with the faithless not-Soviet Union-hence Mary becoming the 2nd apostle.

If the anime does get a 2nd season,and I hope it does-I expect at least a soft reset like Noragami .
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
Also the anime is very quickly burning through the LNs, episode 12 will conclude the anime's adaption of volume 3 and episode 11 has taken a bit of volume 4.

Leaves the rest of volume 4 through to vol 7 as of now-though the WN is completed.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
The anime has replaced Mary(whom I feel has the better motivation to go ham on Tanya)with Anson.

No one died, Tanya's men were shown to be alive-a cop out that.So why would Anson be dead at this point since he has taken over Mary's story line.

Only reason things go South for the Empire after the fall of not-France,would be the archangels scheming to deal with the faithless not-Soviet Union-hence Mary becoming the 2nd apostle.

If the anime does get a 2nd season,and I hope it does-I expect at least a soft reset like Noragami .

It didn't replace Mary with Anson(since he was always suppose to die at that part), I'm pretty sure the last episode will have Mary joining the army like it's written. Anson is dead and gone. He got stabbed in the heart, riddled with bullets, and blew up, he's done.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
Sorry for the 2-fer, but I can't get over the VA's for Tanya and Viktoriya in the last scene! Subtle and powerful, I can't wait to hear how Monica and Ms. Tirado do on the dub. Also the camera angles and cuts, close to perfect I think. Worth the wait and recap...
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
The only thing which kept me from giving this episode an A+ grade instead was that two minute replay at the beginning, as I'm absolutely confident that I haven't seen a better individual episode this season.

Nordhmmer wrote:
Also the anime is very quickly burning through the LNs, episode 12 will conclude the anime's adaption of volume 3 and episode 11 has taken a bit of volume 4.

I wouldn't classify covering three novels (and part of a 4th) as "very quickly." If you look at various LN adaptations over the past decade, three novels per season seems to be the average, with each novel equating to four episodes on average. Sure, there are cases which milk 6 or even 7 episodes out of a single LN (Spice and Wolf, The Devil is a Part-Timer!, and some arcs of SAO spring to mind) but there are just as many series which will only use 2-3 episodes each.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ronie Peterson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
The biggest mistake of the NUT Studio was wanting to start with an adaptation, not an original one. That's why things are as they are.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:

It didn't replace Mary with Anson(since he was always suppose to die at that part), I'm pretty sure the last episode will have Mary joining the army like it's written. Anson is dead and gone. He got stabbed in the heart, riddled with bullets, and blew up, he's done.

I'll not bet on him staying dead in this adaption, but we can hope Smile
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The only thing which kept me from giving this episode an A+ grade instead was that two minute replay at the beginning, as I'm absolutely confident that I haven't seen a better individual episode this season.

Nordhmmer wrote:

I wouldn't classify covering three novels (and part of a 4th) as "very quickly." If you look at various LN adaptations over the past decade, three novels per season seems to be the average, with each novel equating to four episodes on average. Sure, there are cases which milk 6 or even 7 episodes out of a single LN (Spice and Wolf, The Devil is a Part-Timer!, and some arcs of SAO spring to mind) but there are just as many series which will only use 2-3 episodes each.

'Magical Girl Raising Project' just recently managed to adapt the 1st vol into 12 episodes, I believe.

The anime adaption of 'Saga of Tanya the Evil' is leaving a fair bit out of the telling-Maybe it is just me but it really feels like this was not intended to be more than a one and done cour.

Edit: Yōjo Senki has only 7 volumes released as of now,sigh the wait Smile
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
So I guess I'm the only one really disappointed with Anson doing bugger all with his Being X influenced powers. Feels like a waste even to have that plot thread and then just be done with it after 5 minutes, with no satisfying conclusion nor any lasting effect.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
So I guess I'm the only one really disappointed with Anson doing bugger all with his Being X influenced powers. Feels like a waste even to have that plot thread and then just be done with it after 5 minutes, with no satisfying conclusion nor any lasting effect.

spoiler[it will have lasting effects, just not with Anson ]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
'Magical Girl Raising Project' just recently managed to adapt the 1st vol into 12 episodes, I believe.

I find that very hard to believe, unless there's a lot of original content mixed in.

Quote:
The anime adaption of 'Saga of Tanya the Evil' is leaving a fair bit out of the telling-Maybe it is just me but it really feels like this was not intended to be more than a one and done cour.

We'll see what they do with it next episode.

Also, a reminder that "leaving a fair bit out" does not by any means automatically equate to "bad adaptation." I'm not saying that you're doing that here, but it's an attitude I've seen all too often with both light novel and manga adaptations. Light novels in particular tend to overwrite on details, in my experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

I find that very hard to believe, unless there's a lot of original content mixed in.

It's not that hard to believe I remember people saying after Rokka Braves of the Six flowers ended that the anime only adapted one volume. There bound to be a few exceptions.
Key wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

We'll see what they do with it next episode.

Also, a reminder that "leaving a fair bit out" does not by any means automatically equate to "bad adaptation." I'm not saying that you're doing that here, but it's an attitude I've seen all too often with both light novel and manga adaptations. Light novels in particular tend to overwrite on details, in my experience.

There might be a season two because there appears to be a leaked episode count out. Take this with a grain of salt.It was leaked by the same people that leaked the twin star exorcists episode count though http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/03/17/chinese-service-lists-saga-of-tanya-anime-for-26-episodes.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

"leaving a fair bit out" Left out were the reasons why not-England was getting involved & Tanya's court martial and oh nevermind, lol cannot have everything.

Guess being slightly familiar with WN along with enjoying the LNs- I just get the feeling the pace of the anime's story telling sped up after episode six,and alot of it has to do with Anson lol I can only hope he is dead now.

Do not get me wrong I do look forward to watching the anime-just the pacing and story telling were for a 26 episode run Smile

Youjo Senki reminds me of Gate,as far as,the various different media adaptations each being slightly different.

Edit: sorry for rambling To add I think we will see Anson v Tanya in episode 12

One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:23 am Reply with quote
From Review wrote:
...we're treated to the series' grandest and most intense battle to date...
...One thing that this series has not indulged much before is genuine drama. Tanya's dismay, frustration, and anger at the opportunity she can see slipping away is palpable, and the scene where Viktoriya indirectly but firmly reminds her that she can no longer act on her own is beautifully handled...
These two were really standout elements that raised this episode over what was for me the last couple of ho-hum episodes. It was intense and Tanya's frustration was definitely palpable. An excellent job there, just wish there had been more of that throughout the season.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
This whole experience has definitely changed her from the salaryman she used to be. From what we saw of her former life, he just did his job and viewed his underlings as disposable tools. It would never have crossed his mind to joke around with them or try to raise their morale (even if it improved their performance), let alone give a damn about their lives. Tanya's still a practical, results-oriented hard-ass, but she's developed a bit of humanity somewhere along the way in this lifetime.
Good call and this was emphatically demonstrated with the rescue of one of her men this episode. The old salaryman may not have risked herself or instead would have tried to use her junior officer's predicament to her tactical advantage. My only real beef with this episode was that I felt that not all of her men should have survived. It was a little convenient and having Tanya deal with the death of some of her subordinates after developing a bond might have been interesting and again this might have shown how she changed from her salaryman persona. Still its a minor quibble.

While I really enjoyed the first opening episodes and felt a little let down by the middle I really wouldn't mind a second season if they would explore some of the characters a little more.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
What a brilliant climax (and cringy ending speech)! Seems Tanya and Zettour finally realize that instead of heading off a World War, they are creating it. There is no war that "ends war" when people behave according to their nature and don't reject irrationality. And Mary Sioux (Sue) is confirmed for those who saw it coming. Hope to see a second season...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15