• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Saga of Tanya the Evil

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
[
I don't buy that. The show itself makes it clear that the new participants are acting out of fear: fear of a dominant Empire. The idea that they would be reluctant to attack simply because an armistice had been signed among the original combatants seems wildly improbable to me. Plus, there is the strong suggestion that Being X is pulling strings to make sure the Not-Europe war turns into a world war. Tanya and the Empire were screwed no matter what. The remaining Republican/Entente/others force in Not-Africa is an unimportant sideshow for what's coming.

Tanya & Rommel (yes Rommel is the commander of the two divisions) in North Africa are a "side-show".

The anime's adaption may not have made it clear, the not-United Kingdom is now also at war with the Empire.
Episode 12 finally killed off Anson(yay for being wrong) and brought Mary into the story-which leads to the not-US entering the War.

The anime's adaption has not show themspoiler[ but the archangels have decided that the not-Soviet Union is too faithless and needs a lesson].

So if the anime gets a second season the not-Soviet Union attacks the Empire,with support of not-British and not-US forces(Mary).

Keep in mind the Empire does not know that their war is endless at this point.

spoiler[ The Empire comes very close to winning the World War by the 7th volume-the anime ended on the 3rd volume.]

{Edit}: You need to use spoiler tags when referencing material from the manga that has not been covered in the anime. Do not discuss source material without them so people don't have things ruined. I added the extra spoiler tag needed. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
So I agree with you in that the Empire being at peace would have lessened the excuse of the other countries to go to war, and it also would have somewhat assuaged their fears if they saw an Empire shifting away from war.

This idea goes completely against the theme of episode as articulated by Tanya, herself. She notes that humankind continues to make the same mistake over and over: it starts wars to ostensibly bring peace, but all that happens is that it brings more war. I mean, she flat out says that. Not Britain was attacking the Empire even before the Republic fell. The show explicitly states that the other powers are converging on the Empire out of a fear that it has become too powerful. So there is ZERO evidence that if armistice had been signed that the other Powers would have gone, "aw, shucks, we really wanted an excuse to invade the Empire, but I guess we can't now. What a drag."

Let me amend that zero evidence comment. What I should say is that I can't remember seeing anything that lends credence to the "if armistice had been signed the other Powers wouldn't attack the Empire" theory. Maybe I missed something?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

This idea goes completely against the theme of episode as articulated by Tanya, herself. She notes that humankind continues to make the same mistake over and over: it starts wars to ostensibly bring peace, but all that happens is that it brings more war. I mean, she flat out says that. Not Britain was attacking the Empire even before the Republic fell. The show explicitly states that the other powers are converging on the Empire out of a fear that it has become too powerful. So there is ZERO evidence that if armistice had been signed that the other Powers would have gone, "aw, shucks, we really wanted an excuse to invade the Empire, but I guess we can't now. What a drag."

Let me amend that zero evidence comment. What I should say is that I can't remember seeing anything that lends credence to the "if armistice had been signed the other Powers wouldn't attack the Empire" theory. Maybe I missed something?

Tanya hastened not-United Kingdom full participation into the war-the anime left the skeleton of the storyline in,without the content.
Tanya's sinking of a not-British sub, her subsequent court martial, her attack on an unknown bunker( United Kingdoms) and the United Kingdoms's attempt to broker a peace,the last happening just before not-France's "Dunkirk".

Also you are forgetting that Tanya and the Empire have no real idea, that heavenly powers are directing the 'War'.

Such,for example, the angels discussing events on this alternate earth. Some happy that faith is up but others being worried that atheism is spreading in the not-Soviet Union.
Which leads into the events of vol 4 - 7.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Even with Being X influencing things, these nations still have to follow certain rules. Even if, the leaders of those nations are in a war mongering mode certain checkboxes still must be marked. Everything Tanya said was true, but you still need a cause or reason to go to war. You just can't say to your populace, well, not-Germany is too powerful, so we are going to invade them and kill their people. Not-Great Britain waited too long to officially ally with not-France.

If the Empire had dealt with the Republics fleeing army as Tanya wanted them to do, there would no longer be anyone for not-Britain to support. Not-Britain would have lost that excuse for entering the war. Now a new excuse would have to be crafted or arranged. This would have given the Empire some time at least.

Though none of what I said pertains to Russia. Who is ruling, is it the Czar, or have they had their communist revolution yet. Either way, that nation has a much more free hand in declaring war.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
I LOVE this series and I want MORE.

Mary Sioux...Mary Sioux...Mary...Sue? Mary Sue! Ohhh I nearly busted a gut at that! LOL Ohhh I hope it was intentional.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, TasTarkas, your arguments are all stemming merely from your opinion as opposed to taking things from the show. For example, you say "these nations still have to follow certain rules" while conveniently ignoring that Not-Britain has ALREADY attacked the Empire on a number of occasions before the Republic and the Entente collapsed. What rules was it following then?

The most I'd be willing to go along with is that if an armistice had been signed with the Republic, the other Powers may have been slowed for, say, a few weeks while they come up with a convenient casus belli. History shows us when countries are determined to go to war, finding a spark to light the powder keg is trivial.

Can you point to anything that was said or revealed IN THE SHOW that supports your theory as opposed to just stuff that you personally feel?
michizure

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Extremely late to the party, here -- binged the series before the movie comes out this week. Just have to say, though:

Fifteen pages of commentary here and another five with Nick Creamer's review, and no one called out the not-British mages for riding not-Harry Potter not-Quiddich brooms? Hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15