• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Saga of Tanya the Evil

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
(note that my knowledge of this series because of the manga chapters I had read is exhausted as the anime is now ahead of the two manga chapters I had read, so this is just speculation, not spoilers)

but, fitting this in the meta of isekai webnovels, is god really god or is god indeed a being X that is able to travelbetween universes/drop people in them ? we have gotten lots of being like that in some series, while the usual summon spells also fit that narrative in isekai.

and the thign about the mc beinga little kid, is that, well, in the isekai-reincarnation subgenre,knowledge of the modern world tends to give reincarnators a huge advantage in the fantasy world, unless the plot deliberately is playing dumb regarding that or at least finds a way to justify itself (mc is really dumb or mc has amnesia), so this just fits the mold.

actually, going by the first promotino materials I tought this series was even more standar isekai, with the empire being the mao's army, so this being a ww1 spoof was a surprise for me.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
So good to know that i'm not alone Smile

I'm really impressed by the sound design and the fights.They really elevate the show imo.
Well directed and cool looking scenes that have a lot of fun times to be had by someone who is easily excited like me Anime hyper
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
So, not crazy as others have pointed out with the frog-like looking girls. It is a little distracting considering the other character designs. I'm also a little fatigued out of Alt History stories having read and watched a fair amount over the last 35 years or so. I also don't like the music of the OP, if it can even be called that.

On the other hand, I'm having a real fun time with the show in a schadenfreude kind of way. Tanya/middle manager is crappy as a person and seeing things not go exactly her way is where the humor comes in. Hell even the god not getting what he expects is cause for some smirks from me. I'm enjoying the show playing a little with the whole "there are no atheists in fox-holes" idea. Its interesting because Tanya can be considered rigid and dogmatic to her worldview, but at the same time she is being individualistic in not conforming to what the god wants from her and what would be expected. So far, she is the nail that refuses to be hammered down (by god). And the god in spite of his lamenting the lack of empathy and worship among modern people is a bit of a jealous and vengeful god. It almost feels old testament-like.

The show is juggling not only Tanya's actions during the backdrop of war, but also pitting her against opponents in the military establishment and a petty god. I think its doing a pretty good job so far handling all of that. Can they maintain this to the end? And where are they going to take this relationship between Tanya and god? Its what keeps me coming back and right now its been my most anticipated show week to week.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Also it's scary how similar the appeal of this and Umineko are.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I disagree wholly with Theron that this show has been serious. I'd have bailed on a serious treatment of this material, but this is one of the funniest shows of the season. In fact, this season has a lot of shows that are approaching comedy in a pretty unique (to anime) way.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
So, not crazy as others have pointed out with the frog-like looking girls. It is a little distracting considering the other character designs. I'm also a little fatigued out of Alt History stories having read and watched a fair amount over the last 35 years or so. I also don't like the music of the OP, if it can even be called that.

if you consider all isekai shows as just going to past alt/earth bu not being alt history (if only by sake fo being isekai) then this one just happened to be after the renaissance instead of either modern times or middle ages like usual. so that way this is not alt history earht like izetta o code geass, but just a "more modern" isekai.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I disagree wholly with Theron that this show has been serious. I'd have bailed on a serious treatment of this material, but this is one of the funniest shows of the season. In fact, this season has a lot of shows that are approaching comedy in a pretty unique (to anime) way.

The closest thing I can see fitting that description is Mayoiga. I don't see this show going for the same thing Mayoiga is going for at all.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

I'll agree that, in retrospect, this may have more humor in it than I gave it credit for, but one of the funniest of the season when you have titles like Konosuba, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Gabriel Dropout, and (to a lesser extent) Interviews with Monster Girls? I'm trying to remember the last anime season that was as loaded with worthwhile comedies.

Some of the other points that others have been bringing up about the Being X/Tanya dynamic are things that I'll definitely be looking at and talking about more in upcoming episode reviews. Right now I'm very curious to see how far the series goes with its philosophical bent, as that's not a common thing you see in series like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I would highly recommend this series to fans of Black Lagoon, very similar feel and action though the background art isn't quite as good and while Black Lagoon was meditative on its adult themes this is more Philosophy of religion through empirical experience.

Music even sounds very similar to Black Lagoon.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Whether this show has any legitimacy with me will depend wholly on whether it's religious aspects have a subtle treatment or are ridiculously overplayed. It's very rare to see anime deal with religion with any real complexity, and most recent anime that I have seen dealing with it did a particularly poor job.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
I would highly recommend this series to fans of Black Lagoon, very similar feel and action though the background art isn't quite as good and while Black Lagoon was meditative on its adult themes this is more Philosophy of religion through empirical experience.

Dunno if you can call Black Lagoon meditative Very Happy
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Having an adult as main character is rather refreshing, the loli body wasn't necessary but I like that they were committed enough to the setting to actually have him start from birth and have to age rather than just plopping him down already as an adult.

While it is a convenient excuse for having a loli soldier, it is how reincarnation traditionally works, rather than appearing fully formed or taking over some random person's body. It also neatly sidesteps the usual body/genderswap drama of "how do I use a toilet??!" since instruction comes as part of the package.

I can't help wondering at what point she became capable of talking and whether she had to deliberately hold back, whether she had to learn the language of this country from scratch and whether she was taught this world's version of Latin or whether she picked that up in her original world and it happens to be compatible?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I would say that it is pretty comedy, but not in the wacky way that comedy comes about, instead it is all in an ironic way. Man is set to “ruin” the life of another, instead has his life cut short by that man. Man meets omni-present being, man denies its existence and mocks it, man becomes a little girl in warzone. Girl wants to be safe, girl joins the army for the best chance. Little girl looks weak and not threatening, little girl becomes a military power and dangerous. Girl thinks doing necessary fighting will look enough to pass without getting much attention, and gets branded a war her. She has a been posted somewhere safe, posting has incredibly dangerous technology. Being X explains he tried to probe his point by little interference, starts to interfere quite a bit showing pettiness and a lack of patience unfitting for what one would expect of an all-powerful or wise god claimed to be. Sending soldiers to what looks like a safe area was purposeful to get them killed, and her sending a subordinate to officer training to look like a leader who cares about her troops, is really actually selfish.

The show is steeped in ironic comedy, only highlighted whenever we see her in her uniforms or other clothes that would look adorable without the context that can make it kind of ironic. Tanya’s big eyed look looking less moe and more like a frog could be more irony of even these oft cute or attractive traits come across as kind of off-putting. The Lost Village was mentioned earlier as seeming maybe some similar feelings, and just as a seemingly terrible horror could be a comedy, how this show plays with a kind of purposely amoral military force and soldier might be why.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
OwlBiceps wrote:
Also it's scary how similar the appeal of this and Umineko are.

I beg to differ, as the appeal of Umineko is waaay too meta for this series. Umineko also has too much diversity in its writing and themes to have said similarities as "THE appeal" of the story, there's just too much stuff on it tbh

Though Youjo Senki also has some quite interesting ways of presenting its content and intelectual conflicts between characters, this is like, one out of very few similarities in both, not exactly what I would call the "attention grabber" of neither.

Big fan of both series in here, and, having read up to volume 6 of Youjo Senki, I must say one thing it definitely differs completely of Umineko, is that the latter has a lot of heart in every single chapter, regardless at how you first read said scene as (tons of Foreshadowing and Rule of Symbolism literally everywhere), since they don't really seem like it, while Youjo Senki is... well, the complete opposite at most of the points lol (which to me is THE selling point other than the heavy military stuff and themes, as it really focuses a lot in the "War is Hell" aspect, especially with that kind of unexpected protagonist).

Last edited by danpmss on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
I heard a lot of good things about the light novel but never got around to reading it, and then decided to just check out the anime to see what's up. I saw a lot of negative reviews of the first episode, but I also remember prison school getting a lot of negative reviews of its first episode that that anime was easily one of my top 3 that season.

Glad to see that the show is turning out strong, going to jump into it next week as I'm still catching up with other series, and then I'll be able to binge 3-4 episodes at once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15