• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Binge Benefits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
One day years ago when I was sick with a bad cold and couldn't really do anything else I watched an entire Last Exile marathon on TechTV (or maybe it was G4 by that point?).
It was a good show but I started getting pretty burned out towards the end and just watching for the sake of completion, and combined with the fact that I already felt like garbage I'm not left with any desire to re-watch it in the future.
I don't think I could ever marathon an entire series like that again, but if the story has a lot of momentum or suspense I like to watch in 2-3 episode chunks (approximately the length of a normal movie) if I have the option.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
The first time I was watching Ajin back when it started, watching it weekly resulted in me not feeling engaged, given that the series is slow-paced.

Now, with the second season complete, i marathoned the whole show and I feel like I watched a good quality thriller.

Maybe plot-heavy series, specially those slow-paced should be watched in a binge instead of weekly. I have more out of watching HunterxHunter in a binge than if I was watching it one episode at a time
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really a binge watcher. The extent of my binge is basically limited to however many episodes come on the disc, since I hate trying to remember where I left off if I stopped partway through. So it's typically 3- 7 episodes at a time unless it's one of those crazy 11-13 episodes super-compressed discs. I prefer to watch over the course of a few days and may do a second disc if it's only 3 episodes long, but don't like to do more than a couple hours at once. I rarely do more than 5 episodes in a row while streaming, and usually closer to 3.

Occasionally I leave Netflix or series on DVD running while cooking, though. For instance, I usually bake a few hundred cookies over the course of a couple days as Christmas gifts and I leave the TV on to listen and watch as I'm rolling out the dough and popping things in and out of the oven. I watched 14 episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in a row while baking this past Christmas all in one day. But I don't like to do that with animated fare since I like to devote my whole attention and see all the drawings as intended.
thenix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I can't binge watch anime. If I do it makes me dislike anime because I'm getting overloaded. Maybe it's ADD but I can't do a lot of the same thing all at one time at all. I have so many hobbies such as games/books/anime/drawing/model building etc and if I start only watching anime I start not doing any of my other hobbies.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
For me, binge watching is a rare and welcome opportunity, and I take advantage when I can. As a married man with a lot of professional after-hours demands, it's hard to find time to watch even a couple of episodes before bed. It often takes me two to three weeks to finish a 13-episode series.

Vacation is the time to binge, and I go after relatively long titles, Future Diary being the most recent. In a way, bingeing can be a blessing--with my catch-as-catch-can viewing habits, it's all too easy to forget small but critical details. Of course, YYMV! Wink

#Immie93 wrote:
I blame it on the first couple of episodes. Once you're hooked you spend the whole time saying "just one more and I'll finish there." Wrong.

I hear you! Laughing That was one of my late wife's favorite games...

"One more." (reaches for remote)
"Bed."
"One more."
"Bed. You have to go to work tomorrow."
"One more."

Wash, rinse, repeat.

And now, slowly but surely, the current Mrs. Dropout (see user name!) is catching the same bug... Very Happy

[Edit]: merged serial posts. Errinundra.

Last edited by Ouran High School Dropout on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I'm with Top Gun, Triltaison, and thenix in the binge watching camp. Back when I was a teenager, I used to make myself sit down and watch large swaths of a show in a sitting because I felt like I had to. The longest stretch I ever did was with 20 episodes of EVA, and, well, there's your reason why I used to hate this show. I didn't realize that what I was doing was making me hate shows, though, until I did it with the last fourth of G Gundam. I realized I just don't like sitting still that long; after doing anything for the length of time it takes to watch about five or six episodes of anime, I need to step away a do something else for a bit. Admittedly, that bit can stretch to be quite a while; I often have multi-year gaps from when I started watching a show to when I finished it. I've just accepted that's how I watch stuff. Occasionally, I will binge on quite a bit of a show, but that's usually either A: I'm watching something with people, or B: It's some lengthly shounen series.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
It depends on the show. With the more episodic anime, I'll watch it an episode or two at a time. But with the more continuous stories, I'll generally watch, if not the whole season, then at least until the end of the story arc. But since I usually only watch anime when it's out on DVD, it's easier to binge than not Confused

The last anime I binged was Blood Blockade Battlefront on New Years Eve. It kept me awake til midnight.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
The longest time I spent watching anime that I remember has to be when I watched the last 45 episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes in three days, 15 each one, and with a little rest each five because there would always be a point in which I was barely paying attention.

However, I think that when I rewatched Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho or Pokémon, it's likely that I could have watched 20 or so episodes in one sitting. I watched YYH around 9 times completely, and I've always done it very quickly.

I usually set myself a certain number of episodes to watch per day if I'm going to binge watch, depending on how long it is. If it's 12/13 episodes, 3 episodes a day is fine for me, for 24 or so, 4 a day, and for longer, it should be 5. Although sometimes it depends on the show, for example, when I watched Lain I realised I should go at a slower pace of 2 episodes a day, the same for Tatami Galaxy. I usually pick up the rhytm after just watching the first episode.

And now, for example, I'm watching Bakemonogatari along with the weekly review, and even if I watched it alone, I probably wouldn't want to watch more than one or two episodes a day, it's kind of pretty dense to just binge it up.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
The time to take a binge break for me is always when I look at the clock and think that I have enough time to finish a show or a disc. Binging should always be because a show is keeping me hooked after each episode.

I have thought about the fact that since these episodes come out weekly, that may have some bearing on how they are watched. Then again, there is so much coming out now that just keeping up on the new stuff I want to see feels like something of a mini-binge every night. It also doesn't help that sometimes I get smaller details between shows muddled, and binging keeps that from happening.

Also, as a note about that theater: Yeah, binging seems like a bad setup for that sort of thing. If people are looking to fill a couple of hours, they probably aren't going to do it by watching episodes 16-19 of a 24 episode show.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I do marathon anime because I hate waiting a whole week between episodes, but never in this kind of binge fashion. A really captivating series I'll watch up to eight episodes of in a day, but usually I average around four or so. Watch one episode, read some Twitter or other internet stuff, play a game, some household chores, watch another episode, etc. Gives you time to digest what's happening, but not so long that you get bored waiting or have forgotten what was going on.

I think binge-watching would make it hard to remember what you watched after a while. The same way studying a little every day is more effective than cramming the whole day before a test.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I tend to binge watch Naruto or Sailor Moon.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
About Voltron, it seems Pidge being trans/nonbinary had been confirmed as the voice actress herself liked this tweet and it's not like she likes every tweet;

https://twitter.com/DanielRPK/status/822539461556916224
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
About Voltron, it seems Pidge being trans/nonbinary had been confirmed as the voice actress herself liked this tweet and it's not like she likes every tweet;

This is a thread about binge-watching not Tumblr headcanon theories in kids cartoons.
Apashi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
This topic comes to my mind often. I have very strange watching habits compared to most fans. I almost never binge-watch anime. The only reason is I just don't like to. I'll do one or two episodes and then usually want to digest it. This means everyone (and every show usually) is perpetually ahead of me. I wouldn't recommend it actually haha. I also almost never follow seasons and tend to watch older stuff. It's hard to relate to my netflix-loving friends. I don't think I've ever watched more than 5 hours at a time in the 15+ years I've been into anime. The weird thing is I can spend half a day or more just reading manga or a book. Long ago I used to play games for a whole day too. Not sure why not anime.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Some shows are good to marathon, some aren't. I think people who only marathon-watch are missing out.

The people who watched Madoka and Evangelion as they aired, and talked and speculated with other fans will have memories and experiences unlike anyone else who waited to marathon it some weeks later.

Yet I also remember watching DBZ on bootleg VHS from Japan with all the commercials, spending an entire day eating nothing but pizza bites back in the 90's. Subtitled Anime? How rare! How novel!

How you consume anime reflects on your experience and enjoyment, so get a variety!

Also being older its VAAAASTLY harder to marathon/binge now. If I watch 6 episodes in a day of everything combined...I'd feel terrible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4