• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
?????? wrote:
If someone doesn't realize Blue Exorcist isn't an action series by now then they are just delusional. Just because the main character has a sword and powers doesn't mean it's an action series,people don't get that, same thing happens with series like Noragami.

It still has a decent amount of action though, and so does Noragami, it's not like it's lacking in the action department. Nonetheless, both series are indeed based more on character development than anything else.

It had never crossed my mind to compare them, but Ao No Exorcist and Noragami are quite similar. In my opinion, Ao No Exorcist has more compelling character drama, but Noragami is darker and occassionaly has more original ideas. Both great series though.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
What could go wrong, you ask?????

YUKIO. Yukio could go very very wrong.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
While I was one of those complaining about the slow pace of the show (it hasn't been a BIG deal necessarily, I'm still a fan, but it was starting to grate), I'd actually argue that this episode did have a fair amount of action, in the story sense. The mini drama of Mamushi admitting her treachery to her allies and family then begging them to undo her mistake, the break-in by our exwire heroes, and especially Shiemi's big scene, were all forward motion cashing in on things the series previously set up, which was gratifying and exciting.

My problem with the series so far hasn't been that I just want more swords and 'splosions, it's that the pacing seemed off and that, at times, the show seemed so wrapped up in carefully setting up dominoes (and drawing out that process unnecessarily, at times) that I started worrying that they'd never get around to knocking them over in a satisfying way.

So while I think the set-up was a bit overlong and under-exciting, if the show executes on all that set-up as well as it did this week, we're going to have a really great final half of this series!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
So wait, Rin could just bust out of his inescapable cage any time he was feeling up to it?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Really, the cage that Rin was in was one he created on his own, and he wasn't able to break out of it by himself -- he needed help.

However, I still don't like Shiemi, and I doubt I ever will.
chaccide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
What reconciliation? Half of them didn't want to save him. I didn't think it was earned at all to be honest, except for Shiemi. The rest never came to terms with it. And supposedly Bon wasn't mad about what everyone else was, which seems untrue after the way he's been acting and more just a cheap way for the mangaka to deliver an upbeat surprise before battle.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Yukio is the worst part of this show for me right now. The last minutes with him shooting a bazillion magic bullets aimlessly around (does he really have that many to waste or is there a huge magic reserve inside his pants?) really tried my patience. Like the review said, the brother angst is such a cliche, and haven't we already been through this with these two? The rest of the episode was fun, and I was really glad to get back into the action.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
Yukio is the worst part of this show for me right now. The last minutes with him shooting a bazillion magic bullets aimlessly around (does he really have that many to waste or is there a huge magic reserve inside his pants?) really tried my patience. Like the review said, the brother angst is such a cliche, and haven't we already been through this with these two? The rest of the episode was fun, and I was really glad to get back into the action.

Having him brushing it off would also be a cliche. In the end, it's a pick your poison kind of situation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Was it just me, or did it seem like the evil aura or spores or whatever was spreading among the kids? First Yukio, who was admittedly confronted directly, then Renzo, then Izumo, all suddenly having doubts about why they're even there fighting. While each of their inner conflicts make sense and are expressed consistently with each character's personality, it seemed like a lot to pile on in one episode unless it's pointing to something larger going on. If not, then it feels like poor plotting.

And boy howdy, that one rock right there in the middle of everything sure was convenient, eh? Anyway, nice to see Nee back, but Kuro's still MVP to me.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved the BGM that began playing just as Rin was drawing his sword. I've always thought that track was cool, but combined with Rin's bad-assery, it becomes just that much more awesome.

I assume they'll end the season with the spoiler[group trip around Kyoto], but looking back at my manga, it seems like there's enough material for maybe 3 episodes. It'll be interesting to see how they condense the content into just 2.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
The music really did shine this episode. It was getting me pumped for all the action.

I really think the anime did a much better job with this portion of the arc than the manga, which just seemed to drag on and on to delay Run drawing his sword. The pacing here felt just right.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Just caught up with eps 9 & 10 yesterday, and I agree--this is top tier shonen anime, right up there with Noragami (and the two episodes were perfect back-to-back).
I'm loving all the character development and how it's all based so solidly in the characters' relationships and upbringing. Yukio, obviously, feels second tier to his more dynamic but less responsible older brother and struggles with an inferiority complex, but he's aware of it and able to be effective despite it, due to his training and discipline. The reveal that he wasn't just randomly shooting while overcome with emotion, but was carefully setting up an intricate magic circle to summon water demons to fight Todo was very well done. (If only that attack had a longer lasting effect--but then we get to see Yukio use leadership skills and brilliant strategy to trick Todo again, which was worth it!)
Ryuji's issues with his father are rooted in his by-the-book perfectionist personality, and the perception of his father as an alcoholic slacker. The fact that Karura, Tatsuma Suguro's fire demon familiar, literally required miscommunication and secrecy as a condition of their contract was a clever way to comment on the pain that secrets can cause family prelationships. I'm a bit confused on where the secrets are now, or rather, how Ryuji can use Karura openly if secrets and miscommunication are part of the deal. I hope Ryuji gets more time to apologize and have a heart-to-heart with his father before the arc ends.
Renzo's character and family issues are easy to understand. He's the second-to-youngest in a family with six kids and developed some of the more negative middle child traits, such as craving any kind of attention, even negative attention, as an individual--I bet he dyed his hair pink to stand out from his brothers (according to the wiki he has 2 sisters, including a younger one, but I don't remember seeing them). On top of that, he was given the burden of his elder brother sacrificing his life for him when he was a baby, which is a huge guilt trip to grow up with. I don't blame him for rejecting the heaviness of family expectations to put his own life on the line for others, or for wanting to break free from the role imposed by his birth order.
Izumo's background is explained in a later manga arc, but suffice it to say that there's a good reason she's on the tsun side of tsundere.
And Shiemi is given a good moment to shine by summoning Nee.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
*fingers crossed for season 3
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Yup, hopefully they make a third season!
kamui85

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:58 am Reply with quote
that final fight was kind of disappointing...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2