• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Prolific Screenwriter Mari Okada Writes Autobiography

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My father was caught having an affair and was divorced by my grandfather.

"was made to divorce [my mother] by my grandfather." (or even just "and my grandfather made him divorce [my mother].") Passive causative (祖父に離婚させられた) is always confusing and sometimes unnatural when put literally in English.

Interesting article, thanks for passing it along!
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Spoiler: It's full of angst.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
She should be named Mari "Prolific" Okada from the amount of times i need the damn word attached to her name <.<

Also, what the hell did i just read..?

Quote:
draw me boobs

Did she really ask someone to draw boobs for her or is this some sort of euphemism? O.o

Last edited by AksaraKishou on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I want to read this. It sounds utterly fascinating. I can easily see how these things translated into her works.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
She should be named Mari "Prolific" Okada from the amount of times i need the damn word attached to her name <.<

Quote:
draw me boobs

Did she really ask someone to draw boobs for her or is this some sort of euphemism? O.o

Or did she ask him to draw HER boobs? In other words, should that be "my" not "me"? (If it is me she might have something in common with the author of "My Lesbian experience with Loneliness."....)
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Does the main character die at the end?

Quote:
Once there was a fight and I commanded one of her boyfriends to draw me boobs.

Now that's a story!
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

Quote:
draw me boobs

Or did she ask him to draw HER boobs? In other words, should that be "my" not "me"? (If it is me she might have something in common with the author of "My Lesbian experience with Loneliness."....)

You can also change "draw" with "touch" or that "draw" might even be of the "draw your gun" kind. As in, once again, touch my boobs. Laughing
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Or did she ask him to draw HER boobs? In other words, should that be "my" not "me"?

Maybe it was Talk Like a Pirate Day. "Draw me boobs, you scallywag!"
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
zensunni wrote:
Or did she ask him to draw HER boobs? In other words, should that be "my" not "me"?

Maybe it was Talk Like a Pirate Day. "Draw me boobs, you scallywag!"

This is making me think her book would make a really good film or direct anime adaptation. Something like Scum's Wish or Flower's of Evil. A lonely girl living with a broken family, reaching out to her mother's lovers for affection, stops going to school, etc.. this sounds very much like a pretty heartwrenching drama.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

You can also change "draw" with "touch" or that "draw" might even be of the "draw your gun" kind. As in, once again, touch my boobs. Laughing

No, that you cannot. It is definitely paint/draw a picture of boobs, and the verb used cannot share meanings with touch or draw your sword. The "draw" for draw your sword is 引く (hiku), a very versatile verb that is used for many meanings of draw in English, such as "draw attention," "draw a sword," "draw interest," "draw back," "draw a card," "draw up a plan," and also a few things we can't use draw for in English, like "catch a cold" and "play a stringed instrument" (though you can "draw back the bow of a fiddle or violin," which is why the same verb can be used in Japanese. As an increasingly complicated aside, note that while you do use arguably the same verb hiku to play a piano or guitar, when writing it you use a different kanji, 弾く.) However, while it has all those "draws," it cannot mean "draw a picture."

Most of the other silly suggestions in this thread are, however, possible interpretations of 私はその彼の一人に「おっぱいの絵を書け!」と命令される。 It could, I suppose, be about her boobs, though the translation given in the article here meant me, as in "draw (for) me a picture of boobs!" (Note the very rough imperative mood.)
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
What influenced her work? Guess it's going to be a cynical, depressing and angsty book then.

Yeah, kind of bitter about IBO.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Most of the other silly suggestions in this thread are, however, possible interpretations of 私はその彼の一人に「おっぱいの絵を書け!」と命令される。 It could, I suppose, be about her boobs, though the translation given in the article here meant me, as in "draw (for) me a picture of boobs!" (Note the very rough imperative mood.)
The "rough imperative mood" is pretty common in reported speech, even when the actual request was polite (although the exclamation mark does imply that it wasn't). What's more notable is that the actual sentence doesn't say that she was the one who told her mother's boyfriend to draw a picture of boobs; she was ordered to draw a picture of boobs by him.

As for the book, should be an interesting read. Fans and critics do love armchair psychoanalysing Okada's past traumas, so it's only fair that she gets a say on it too.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
The "rough imperative mood" is pretty common in reported speech, even when the actual request was polite (although the exclamation mark does imply that it wasn't). What's more notable is that the actual sentence doesn't say that she was the one who told her mother's boyfriend to draw a picture of boobs; she was ordered to draw a picture of boobs by him.

As for the book, should be an interesting read. Fans and critics do love armchair psychoanalysing Okada's past traumas, so it's only fair that she gets a say on it too.

Yes, you're absolutely right that she was order to draw a picture of boobs by him, and that's the notable part. I came back to this thread just to correct that; glad you mentioned it already.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Her ordering him to draw boobs was weird, but the other way around is just creepy Confused. Hopefully if fulfilled it was done only in the most perfunctory manner.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Her ordering him to draw boobs was weird, but the other way around is just creepy Confused. Hopefully if fulfilled it was done only in the most perfunctory manner.

Draw me like one of your anime girls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2