• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Interviews with Monster Girls

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
Key Wrote:
Quote:
Also, there are two big problems with her using some kind of harness to (literally!) keep her head on her shoulders.

There is also the question of where all that green fire would go. It might come out all around her head which would probably look rather odd. No telling what the effect would be if it went into her head. Remember she is sensitive to people interfering with the fire.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Also, there are two big problems with her using some kind of harness to (literally!) keep her head on her shoulders. One is that she wouldn't be able to turn her head and the other is that the harness would have to look like one of those kind of braces that they use to immobilize your neck. That wouldn't be any less distracting or conspicuous.

You're not thinking creatively enough. Smile Since its purpose wouldn't be to immobilize her, there's no reason it would have to be as conspicuous as a neck brace. It could be a single bar coming up behind her head, with her head supported in a rotatable frame, kinda like a hanging bird cage without the bars. She could turn her head with her hand, like she does now. If she was bothered by how people reacted to the frame, she could cover it up with a scarf or something. I think the issue of the flames coming out of her neck is probably unsolvable though, unless a scarf could contain that. Very Happy

Even if it looked the way you imagined, are you seriously telling me you'd be just as distracted by someone wearing a neck brace as someone holding their head in their hands? Yeah, ok...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Even if it looked the way you imagined, are you seriously telling me you'd be just as distracted by someone wearing a neck brace as someone holding their head in their hands? Yeah, ok...

Since they said there were only three dullahans worldwide, Machi is likely the only one in Japan. I'm still trying to imagine the reaction of other train passengers the time her head stayed with the grandparents. Not everyone gets to ride with an animate headless body. Did they leave her body standing in the entrance or did someone help it to a seat?

And yes, Machi would have well developed arm muscles. I've read that a head is fairly heavy (apparently about 10 or 11 pounds). I wonder why she doesn't use a harness when she is transiting to and from school so she doesn't drop it. I can see her trying to jog now.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think the 'cute girls doing cute things' genre is its own reward. Sometimes, that really is all you need, providing the girls are cute enough together. Smile
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:

Since they said there were only three dullahans worldwide, Machi is likely the only one in Japan. I'm still trying to imagine the reaction of other train passengers the time her head stayed with the grandparents. Not everyone gets to ride with an animate headless body. Did they leave her body standing in the entrance or did someone help it to a seat?

And yes, Machi would have well developed arm muscles. I've read that a head is fairly heavy (apparently about 10 or 11 pounds). I wonder why she doesn't use a harness when she is transiting to and from school so she doesn't drop it. I can see her trying to jog now.

Machi is the only dullahan in all of Japan, I believe they stated that in one of these latest episodes.

She doesn't use the harness (I think it was explained in the episodes as well? I don't remember) because it would be actually dizzying to have your head constantly moving up and down, carrying it with special care is key (Takahashi at one point says he is sorry for not taking that into account). All other parts of our body move up and down constantly, but we don't mind since our eyes are only in our face. If the neck didn't act as support of the head, we would get light headed just from walking.

A pole or something of that manner in her back wouldn't really do the same organic work as the neck. Also, I think Machi's flame is not very comfortable to touch, it's kind of a cold fire or something like that.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Also, I think Machi's flame is not very comfortable to touch, it's kind of a cold fire or something like that.

It was uncomfortable for her, since she commented on it being like touching on nerve endings or something like that. It doesn't hurt the one touching the flame, though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
A pole or something of that manner in her back wouldn't really do the same organic work as the neck.

Rig it up with Steadicam™ tech. Smile Also, people can get used to anything (see those experiments with glasses that transmit "upside down" images to your eyes). Really, if this were a real thing, there would be ways to make it work. The biggest obstacle, as I've said, is her flames, and I don't know enough about them to think of a way around it without her input. Smile

On another tangent, Alan45 brought up her eventful train ride, which got me wondering what her birth must've been like. What did her ultrasounds look like? If they didn't know beforehand, the doctors must've freaked when they delivered just her head at first. Shocked
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
On another tangent, Alan45 brought up her eventful train ride, which got me wondering what her birth must've been like. What did her ultrasounds look like? If they didn't know beforehand, the doctors must've freaked when they delivered just her head at first. Shocked

I think an episode at least partly focusing on a home visit for Machi, where Takanashi gets to talk to her parents, would be very interesting indeed, as no doubt he's wondered about that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
... what her birth must've been like. What did her ultrasounds look like? If they didn't know beforehand, the doctors must've freaked when they delivered just her head at first. Shocked

I doubt there is anything about it in lore as Dullahan's kinda fall into the undead category (like vampires), but if you ask me, they would probably be like hags, born normally with no hint at birth, then one night while she sleeps her coldfire apears and burns her neck away (probably painlessly since it is no longer a part of her) and when she wakes up she suddenly realizes she is looking at her body. I mean, a floating head inside the womb for months does not mean feasible without causing constant harm.

I wonder if Machi could learn ecolocation to move her body even when her head is away, alebit it might be difficult to walk (or even stand) since our sense of balance is inside our ears and walking is the "act of constantly falling down without reaching the floor".
robbhammack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

I wonder if Machi could learn ecolocation to move her body even when her head is away, alebit it might be difficult to walk (or even stand) since our sense of balance is inside our ears and walking is the "act of constantly falling down without reaching the floor".

And what part of her headless body can hear, assuming she can snap her fingers or something to make the sounds? IIRC, in the manga,spoiler[ it's stated that there is a wormhole connecting her head and body, and putting a camera down her throat acts exactly as it does on anyone else, with no sign that there is a gap between her head and body. indeed, even when she goes walkabout with Takenashi, we see that for her, it FEELS as though her body is still a part of her, and she reacts to everything that affects it.] I can't imagine how it would feel to have my head disconnected, but still feel as if it isn't, but she grew up with it and it feels totally normal for her, which could partially explain how she balances her body normally.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
robbhammack wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

And what part of her headless body can hear, assuming she can snap her fingers or something to make the sounds? IIRC, in the mangaspoiler[, it's stated that there is a wormhole connecting her head and body, and putting a camera down her throat acts exactly as it does on anyone else, with no sign that there is a gap between her head and body.] indeed, even when she goes walkabout with Takenashi, we see that for her, it FEELS as though her body is still a part of her, and she reacts to everything that affects it. I can't imagine how it would feel to have my head disconnected, but still feel as if it isn't, but she grew up with it and it feels totally normal for her, which could partially explain how she balances her body normally.

That's literally a spoiler, the anime hasn't covered that, so add a spoiler for your comment. Maybe they will adapt that chapter eventually, maybe not, but it's better to leave that as is.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

That's literally a spoiler, the anime hasn't covered that, so add a spoiler for your comment. Maybe they will adapt that chapter eventually, maybe not, but it's better to leave that as is.

Well the preview showed the professor from those chapters, so I would assume we go into that next episode.

And @ robbhammack, seriously, you need to put spoiler tags in.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
As mentioned robbhammack please use spoiler tags for source material not yet covered in the anime. We don't want shows ruined for people who have not read the manga.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Well, that was entertaining enough for me. Smile I dunno, the ghost story would probably have been scarier if not for Machi's wide-eyed, smiling head being what was chasing them. Very Happy Hmm, was the headless body Sensei's?

And the moment they mentioned her sweater vest, I knew exactly why she keeps in on. I also don't think see-through sweating is the entire reason.

If Yuki can generate cold air from negative emotions, you'd think, "OMG it's hot, I'm gonna die!" would do the trick.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 9

Well, that was entertaining enough for me. Smile I dunno, the ghost story would probably have been scarier if not for Machi's wide-eyed, smiling head being what was chasing them. Very Happy

Since what were seeing was based on Yuki and Hikari's imaginations, I more think the issue was that stories about disembodied heads just aren't scary anymore when you know someone in real life whose head isn't physically attached to her body.

Anyway, I'm having enough fun with this one that it could go on with this kind of stuff for the rest of the season and I'd still consider it amongst my top four for the season. (And that a series that I adore this much is being relegated to the #4 spot is a sign of how strong I think this season is on the whole.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12