• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Prime Minister Shinzō Abe Supports Loosening Restrictions on Foreigners Working in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's good to hear.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Make it easier for me to become a permanent resident in the future. Thanks to the president.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I hope they provide some in-country schooling opportunities if I want to move while still in the process of learning the language. The area I live in Florida doesn't offer classroom Japanese language classes at any of the colleges and I would prefer not to learn through online courses. I work better in classroom settings. If Japan offered English-speaking courses to learn Japanese after moving to the country, it would make things alot easier for me to choose to move now versus when I'm old and grey.

Correct me if I'm wrong on the above though Cool
Karlz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I really hope the Diet block this like they already did in the past, I understand that I will be cursed by those who actually believe a deeply monocultural society like Japan embracing foreign unskilled immigrants is a good idea, but I just find this awful for Japan in general and people who support this having absolute no clue of the bad aspects of the impact that such measure will make in a country that it's not used to multiculturalism (it's different if we're talking about the US, which was a nation build by immigrants).
I really don't want to see Japan becoming the mess that it's Sweden or Germany now.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Ahh. . . ya know. Their economy has been in a bad spot for a while, but it doesn't seem like it was really until recently that it sounds like it took most of a shift/hit to the work force side of that. Which is understandable, maybe?

I'm curious about this, and I've been meaning to study Japanese again. . . I'll definitely be doing some research.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Japan having more foreigners living and working in their country is always a good thing. Wink
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
azips wrote:
I really hope the Diet block this like they already did in the past, I understand that I will be cursed by those who actually believe a deeply monocultural society like Japan embracing foreign unskilled immigrants is a good idea, but I just find this awful for Japan in general and people who support this having absolute no clue of the bad aspects of the impact that such measure will make in a country that it's not used to multiculturalism (it's different if we're talking about the US, which was a nation build by immigrants).
I really don't want to see Japan becoming the mess that it's Sweden or Germany now.

Well, they'll have to eventually learn.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Please, all this means is that the LDP is going to open the doors to abuse more Indonesian maids, and/or letting a few more people from the Philippines work for slave labor/black company nurses in training is all. Rolling Eyes

I agree with azips on this. For those who actually live in Japan, outside of the rare few of us who are not here working under JET program or teaching English for a small black cram school, the majority of foreigners working here are from any number of small ASEAN nations working ungodly number or hours per week for slave labor wages. I'm sure the LDP will sell this off as trying to get highly educated people from first world nations, but mark my words in a couple years when the all is said and done, the numbers of well educated, highly skilled sought after foreigners working in Japan will not have changed.

This is not the first time the LDP has claimed on loosening immigration requirements. Koizumi has done this a few times as well. Just like the LDP claim to allow more asylum seekers in too as we near the 2020 Olympics too. Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
azips wrote:

Japan is going to have no choice but to continue liberalizing its restrictions on foreigners working in the country. Demographics is destiny. If you don't have enough of your own people to fill certain positions, you have to bring them in. Sucks for Japan, I guess. They'll have to learn to be a 21st century country instead of one that lives in the past when it was actually possible to be hermetically sealed.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
This is a good initiative. Despite being associated with reactionary and nationalistic attitudes, a vice of parties like the ironically named Liberal Democratic Party, Shinzō Abe has a pragmatic streak that overrides that. He's promoted 'womenomics', an attempt to increase the extent, acceptance and opportunities for women in commerce, for similar reasons. (The economic participation of women tends to be lower in the 'sick men' of Europe like Italy and Spain than in Germany) A country that sees the ratio of working-age to retired or elderly people fall will stagnate and fail. This is clear in Japan and is also happening in Europe. Strong infusions of immigrants into the United States are key to why it hasn't suffered this fate as severely and have always been its strength. I'm half Pennsylvania Dutch and a quarter Irish. White as I am now, Benjamin Franklin sneered at my father's people and a whole party, the aptly nick-named Know Nothings, congealed, like leftover bacon fat, against my mother's father's people. Nobody'd bat an eye at us now, but America wasn't always so congenial to my progenitors, yet it wouldn't have as far without them.

Unless the Japanese government can somehow force every Japanese woman into marrying, then having three children, bringing new people into Japan is the only way to revivify the country's economy. There will probably be problems as the share of these New Japanese rises, but despite what the moral vanity and amoral bigotry of the old dying Japanese will compel them to think, the problems will not be failures of assimilation by the New Japanese, but failures of acceptance by the old. Like all privileged, favored and pampered peoples, they will assume that they deserve every good thing while blaming others who are different and unfamiliar for anything that goes wrong, because they have no resilience and no have never been held meaningfully accountable. Japan could prefer slow death in uniformity, which is probably appealing to those who are rather near to death themselves and can see no further, but those are not now so intimate with the grim reaper might ultimately not appreciate their nearsighted, angry efforts.

If human nations can do no better than vicious, angry tribes scrabbling mean and low in the dirt, hating anything than demands, or even just recommends, higher causes or principles of them, then they deserve to die there unloved and resented.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
azips wrote:

Germany and Sweden's problem is generally caused by Muslim/Middle Eastern immigrants. I'm not familiar with Japan's immigration demographics outside of other Asian countries and Brazil. Are there interest from the same group of people Sweden and Germany have in being in Japan?
omoikane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
azips wrote:

Not sure if serious--I'm sure Sweden and Germany are glad they're not the mess that Japan is in.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
Unless they figure out a way to get people to have more babies there, this is pretty much the only option going forward. You can't survive as a mono-cultural country if you don't have enough people to support your own society and economy.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:18 am Reply with quote
This might be interesting, Japan is hurting for laborers and there are plenty. Though the question now resides whom the Japanese population will tolerate more? American laborers or Chinese?

SaitoHajime101 wrote:
I hope they provide some in-country schooling opportunities if I want to move while still in the process of learning the language. The area I live in Florida doesn't offer classroom Japanese language classes at any of the colleges and I would prefer not to learn through online courses. I work better in classroom settings. If Japan offered English-speaking courses to learn Japanese after moving to the country, it would make things alot easier for me to choose to move now versus when I'm old and grey.

Correct me if I'm wrong on the above though Cool

It's not just Florida but most of the schools in the US due to the fact that it's a popular language, unlike Spanish or French. But you can request a self-study, though the proficiency test will be far more difficult than that of a normal class.

azips wrote:

Depends whom they let in, but it's inevitable the Japanese culture will shift no matter whom they let in. But as I said above, it's all but likely to be either North American or Chinese laborers. They have ancient ties to the Chinese culture and lately seem to be growing closer. And their modern culture and economics is more attuned to the West, where American culture has had quite the influence.

So will the Japanese begin the influx by hiring cheap Chinese laborers? Or will the upcoming trade talks with the US could lead to unemployed American laborers moving to Japan? (Or maybe even Japanese businessmen opening factories like in the 80s?)

Only time will tell.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
"Shortened" wait time depends on your situation. You have to reside ten years in Japan if you're single before you can apply. However you can apply if you've been on a Japanese spouse visa after three years. You also have to make a minimum of 3 million yen a year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3