• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fuuka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natalie_Black

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
nx6 wrote:
danpmss wrote:

Heck, Hibike! Euphonium was like a good K-On, if anything I would recommend that instead *salty tears for wasting my time with that series and getting frustrated over any attention or praise K-On gains since then*

Happy to hear this. I generally enjoyed K-On! (even if it wasn't as music-focused as I would like), and I haven't yet but want to check out Hibike Euphonium.

It's more or less like...

Invert the ammount of time dedicated to "cute girls doing cute things" and "actual music related content" in K-On!, and what you get is Hibike! Euphonium, also better written overall.

I think BanG Dream! looks more like K-On! than Hibike! Euphonium.
Actually what I most enjoyed about Hibike! Euphonium was photography! Loved colors at the afternoon, reflexes at night...

About Fuuka, yeah I'm still here!! Plot is getting pretty boring for me (forgetting about music, I won't talk about that anymore because at this point you change music with cooking and plot still be unaffected). At this point we are not getting anything we haven't seen many many times before, so hopefully this arc will end fast, every week is getting harder to watch.

Although I didn't expect the famous girl to confess on live TV, either I am surprised... they had to fill two chapters with something. She wasn't very smart doing so... but she is a teen in an anime... so I guess she can be forgiven.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
A public service announcement for those who wish to avoid spoilers:

Be aware that Episode 8 represents a wild divergence from the source material, and as a result a lot of manga fans are starting to take to the internet and express their displeasure with the changes to the story's trajectory.

There will probably be a LOT of spoiler-riffic discussions on social media over the next few days, so heads up.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Any manga fans watching the show? How long until... You know...

Crap like THAT is the reason I hate 'sequel' or manga that takes place in the same world. I hope it swerves even farther from the source. I may actually watch it then.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
No my dear, nobody's going to mind this. I think Fuuka's universal disliked. Any amount of cuts on her screen time are a god sent.

They did skip an arc, but oh well. As long as that still happens to whom it did, i'll be happy.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
No my dear, nobody's going to mind this. I think Fuuka's universal disliked. Any amount of cuts on her screen time are a god sent.

They did skip an arc, but oh well. As long as that still happens to whom it did, i'll be happy.

Considering the pace, if they slowed just a little bit more and added bits more of original material(which they seem to be doing), they might aim to stop just before 'that'. Honestly, if they got that far, I'm doubtful they'd have the time to sort that mess out. It IS single-cour after all...

Also, to Gabriella, good luck avoiding spoilers for this in near future. If you somehow do, do check out the manga storyline after this is over to know what everyone was fretting over...
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
My biggest problem with the show's deviation from the source material was that it felt like padding, which is unnecessary when a show is over 100 chapters behind the manga.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Whoa whoa whoa, if this trainwreck doesn't go peak meme then there's literally no point to its existence. Even if Koyuki is busti-err, cuter than Fuuka she can't win.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
danpmss wrote:
Just wanted to point out there were way better examples (and as you pointed out Beck, I thought it was nearly offensive even consider K-On on pair with it).

Yeah, Beck is one of those shows that my friends who were in bands back in college have consistently recommended to me when they first find out I'm into anime, usually in the form of, "have you heard of this show, Beck? It really captures the feeling of trying to make it as a musician!" I've never really met anyone who got into K-On because it was a show about music.

I got into K-On because it was a show about music.. Ritsu and Mio... meaning the original author... are fans of 60-70s era British rock and it shows throughout the series; It's a taste I happen to share.

"There are two kind of guitarists; Jeff Beck and everyone else."

Beck... the show? Bleck but I did manage to watch all of it. Good luck trying to figure out how a guy who taste In music was more along the line of slow rock ballads... and whose notable feature was he could sing in English... joined a harder rock group lead by a rapper. Sure, the episode long version of The Beatles "I've got a feeling" was good but it was his choice, not the band's. I don't think they'd play something so foreign and old. You know, British.

The dub changed the story to he could really sing which was an improvement to the plot but it utterly fails to explain why they kept the other guy around.

I am watching Bang Dreamz. I like it but it's a little Twinkle heavy.

But I'm still not watching Fuuka; I've been involved with enough Seo stories to know how much pain and anguish is involved and I want no part of it. Not from the characters but from the audience.
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Any manga fans watching the show? How long until... You know...

Crap like THAT is the reason I hate 'sequel' or manga that takes place in the same world. I hope it swerves even farther from the source. I may actually watch it then.

I can easily see the show committee deciding that the pivot point in the manga is too heavy for the anime, and coming up with an alternate story line. On the other hand, that event is probably the only reason I've kept with a story that is otherwise pretty cliche. The promos for the anime made it look like a harem story, so maybe that's the direction they're going.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
The better thing to do with this "Worst Version of a Nicholas Sparks story" anime series is to deviate from its source, of course. With the crappy as f--- developments that happen in the manga, the best they can do is to give everyone a better story than Kouji Seo. But of course, manga fans are so blid and stupid that they think is a bad idea. Reading the manga was a bad idea, specially when you take into account that is a series with music bands as its main attraction, and it makes you think (potential manga spoilers) spoiler[that there´s gonna be an interesting underdog music band story or interesting character drama in the music band.] Why couldn´t they continue Beck, or create an original story with this concept?

Added spoiler tags. As someone who hasn't read the manga, I wasn't certain what portion of this post was being reported. --willag
Fate_Tsukihime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Dropped since episode 2 because I don't wanna watch the same shit again
Quote:
"While this was definitely one of Fuuka's best episodes, the real big news is that this anime is starting to majorly diverge from its source material."

Alright, I'm back.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
But of course, manga fans are so blid and stupid that they think is a bad idea.

I guarantee you that no one who read the manga wants the anime to follow the manga out of genuine affection for the source material.

We just want memes, fam; memes that the anime swerving into Mediocre Romantic Dramedy #478 cannot provide.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:
But of course, manga fans are so blid and stupid that they think is a bad idea.

I guarantee you that no one who read the manga wants the anime to follow the manga out of genuine affection for the source material.

We just want memes, fam; memes that the anime swerving into Mediocre Romantic Dramedy #478 cannot provide.

Seconded.

That said, i still want some high octane action Wink
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
whoa, did characters from both Suzuka and A Town Where you Live make an appearance this episode?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
I'm two weeks behind, because I'm watching the simul-dub on Funimation, meaning I only watched episode 8 last night.

Do we know if this is one cour or two? If only one, it's got to be closing in on the end. But if there are 100+ manga chapters, one coeur seems like a severely abbreviated adaptation.

Also, I bought "Climber's High" off iTunes and, while looking on Wikipedia for titles of other songs at the episode 8 concert, mistakenly saw the Huge Spoiler about this series. So that kind of sucks for me, but word to the wise to avoid the Wikipedia page if you want to avoid spoilers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7