• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thing X is not meant for you and your Western sensibilities, Gaijin!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I have to agree with Parse Error, here. It seemed to me that in the Monster Girls thread, you were carrying on an argument in your head as opposed to having a discussion about the points I was raising. That's why I was kind of surprised when I read your OP here and went, wait a minute, I agree with all this stuff. You have sort of changed the frame of reference for some - not all, but some - of what you were contending in that thread.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
My point wasn't that everyone has the same likes and expectations.

It very well may not have been, and certainly wasn't if what you really meant to say was something more along the lines of what you posted here. What I was pointing out is that regardless of intent, your initial wording which caused things to go in this direction did imply that they do, or at least ought to. To be exact:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I have a pretty strong, "sigh, that's anime for ya" filter.

And that's the problem Blood-, you shouldn't have to. But anime producers know we have these filters so they often don't care to do better.

Whether it's East versus West, otaku versus non-otaku, connoisseur versus philistine, or whichever labels one agrees with, what you were suggesting there is that anime producers rarely put in enough effort in general, as opposed to them putting too much effort into pleasing people whose preferences differ from yours and Blood-'s. That's what was originally being refuted, and it's hard to see it as a misunderstanding when you clearly stated that nobody should need to ignore certain aspects of shows that are aimed at an audience they're not part of, because the producers should simply "do better" instead.

I think you are confusing two distinct issues. Also, your confusion still has no bearing on the ultimate point I am making.

I have made this clear again and again so I honestly don't understand the confusion.

The first issue is in regard to an entire genre or subgenre of anime. So, for example, we know that harem anime exists. This is a broad genre or subgenre. People like harem anime due to their personal or individual tastes. I have explicitly stated (including in that thread -sometimes people just choose NOT to read things) that I am fine with people liking the harem genre, and that i have also enjoyed some of those shows, but that I don't like it when someone says it's not a harem when it really is. So there was simply no issue presented by me about that particular fetish being below mine or Blood''s standards on a whole.

Again, as I noted above, this point still has no bearing on my main point because I am complaining about people saying that the fetish is inherent to "Japanese Sensibilities." But if you want to go off topic fine. I can obviously point to explicit statements in both this thread and that thread where i stated without ambiguity that people having these fetishes as their own personal tastes is perfectly fine and that I even shared in their enjoyment in some instances. So you are demonstrably wrong on that point.

The second issue is in regard to execution, where I was stating that I was dismayed about cretain aspects of the execution of the harem concept there. Some of that is my personal preference, but it also includes things that I believe to be objectively bad. Megiddo pointed out some of them in a prior post and I agreed. I assume that Blood''s reference to "that's anime for ya" was also a reference to the things he thought were objectively bad with the execution of the show, but you can ask him.

Again, my position articulated in this thread still stands. Whether or not execution of a harem concept is objectively good or bad has NOTHING to do with ethnic sensibilities unless you can present me with proof of how current Japanese cultural norms properly accept harems. Oh wait, they dont! Japanese people engage in monogamous relationships/marriages to the same extent we do! So again, this "Japanese sensibilities" argument is a no go.

So we've established that whichever point you were trying to make doesn't have any bearing on my main issue. But either way, when I spoke to Bloods comment on filters I wasn't criticising personal tastes in genres, I was saying that the execution is bad (I believe in addition to Megiddo's points I was also feeling like the writing was manipulative) and I think anime producers do know that they can get away with bad execution. You would have to agree unless you think the majority of anime getting put out each year is just awesome.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
@ CK - my "sigh, that's anime for ya" was not, as you thought, a comment on a show's execution. It was a comment about how anime will go to conceptual areas that make me (and others) uncomfortable. Like having a female student kiss a teacher and that teacher doesn't point out the inappropriateness of it or when a female student confesses she has a crush on a teacher and another teacher appears to condone it.

So when you said that I shouldn't have to have that kind of filter, I thought you were talking on the conceptual level, but if I understand you correctly from what you've written above, you were talking about execution of a concept, not the concept itself.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I am fine with people liking the harem genre (...). So there was simply no issue presented by me about that particular fetish being below mine or Blood''s standards on a whole.

Please note that I am not Vaisaga, with whom you were discussing harems earlier in this thread. The only thing I took exception to was the portion that I quoted, between you and Blood-.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
But either way, when I spoke to Bloods comment on filters I wasn't criticising personal tastes in genres, I was saying that the execution is bad

I thought it was abundantly clear that Blood- was referring to the students flirting with their teacher and his subsequent failure to adequately rebuff them not being sufficiently discouraged, as that was why people were expressing discomfort, so I interpreted your response to him accordingly.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ CK - my "sigh, that's anime for ya" was not, as you thought, a comment on a show's execution. It was a comment about how anime will go to conceptual areas that make me (and others) uncomfortable. Like having a female student kiss a teacher and that teacher doesn't point out the inappropriateness of it or when a female student confesses she has a crush on a teacher and another teacher appears to condone it.

So when you said that I shouldn't have to have that kind of filter, I thought you were talking on the conceptual level, but if I understand you correctly from what you've written above, you were talking about execution of a concept, not the concept itself.

Perhaps we disagree about whether those are merely conceptual points or execution points. For me, those are points of character development, internal logic and writing. We are seeing for example the MC's development. On the one hand, he is initiallY presented as a perfectly above-board, innocent guy who has no prurient interests in his underage all-female students and simply wants to "study" them. Yet, one of them kisses him and he doesn't firmly establish the red line that we are lead to believe was being established. Is he really just an innocent "studier" of naive, underage monster girls? Or is he a repressed lech? Who knows!!! Then we have succubus woman, who spends all of her time in a track suit to make absolute certain nothing untoward happens because she just cares that much about the well being of those around her. Yet, one of her under age students confesses romantic interest in their much older male teacher (who also happens to be the guy "studying them") and she's like, well damn you're lucky girl how do I get in on some of this.

We have two situations of inconsistent character development going on here, both clearly in the service of advancing the writer's personal kinks. I think that is sloppy execution. If you want to call it just "content" then I guess you can but I don't see how the inconsistencies can be ignored. And I think that was pointed out by others in the thread too.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
On the one hand, he is initiallY presented as a perfectly above-board, innocent guy who has no prurient interests in his underage all-female students and simply wants to "study" them. Yet, one of them kisses him and he doesn't firmly establish the red line that we are lead to believe was being established.

If something's aiming for realism, then absolutely such an act with an educator should have resulted in no less than a stern lecture, but we are talking about an escapist fantasy monster girl show here. Considering this context, whether an adult male tolerating a kiss on the cheek from a teenage girl is indicative of prurient interest is a cultural issue, just not a strictly "Japan versus elsewhere" one, as it can even vary within the same country depending on the region and generation. Anywhere I've ever been, and at least among people the same age as or older than me, simply ignoring it would considered the wisest thing to do, because an adult telling someone that age to not do something is the same as encouraging them to do it or worse. The standards would of course still be different for teachers, but once again we are dealing with fantastic fiction here, so there's no clear reason why the rules of this imaginary world have to be the same as ours.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
On the one hand, he is initiallY presented as a perfectly above-board, innocent guy who has no prurient interests in his underage all-female students and simply wants to "study" them. Yet, one of them kisses him and he doesn't firmly establish the red line that we are lead to believe was being established.

If something's aiming for realism, then absolutely such an act with an educator should have resulted in no less than a stern lecture, but we are talking about an escapist fantasy monster girl show here. Considering this context, whether an adult male tolerating a kiss on the cheek from a teenage girl is indicative of prurient interest is a cultural issue, just not a strictly "Japan versus elsewhere" one, as it can even vary within the same country depending on the region and generation. Anywhere I've ever been, and at least among people the same age as or older than me, simply ignoring it would considered the wisest thing to do, because an adult telling someone that age to not do something is the same as encouraging them to do it or worse. The standards would of course still be different for teachers, but once again we are dealing with fantastic fiction here, so there's no clear reason why the rules of this imaginary world have to be the same as ours.

No, there is no scenario in either Western or Japanese society where a grown ass man would go on a "date " with an underage girl and she kisses him and it's just totally normal. Maybe in some third world countries where child sex slavery is alowwed, but not U.S. or Japan so don't try that one. And in any scenario where that would be considered illicit, it is ABSOLUTELY incumbent on the adult to say NO. If they are a teacher, or otherwise in a position of authority, even more so. That's reality yea. Now if people wanna fetish about that, that's different. To each their own. But don't present this guy as if he's just an innocent academic who has no untoward interests if he's then going to be engaging in that kind of stuff. That's inconsistent, and I think manipulative.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
No, there is no scenario in either Western or Japanese society where a grown ass man would go on a "date " with an underage girl and she kisses him and it's just totally normal.

Unless I missed something, you're combining two totally separate and innocuous events in order to make it sound like one extended, more insidious one. The kiss on the cheek was just something that a different character did suddenly and unexpectedly, and what people are so upset about is that he did not yell at her for it afterward, nevermind that even if the mores in his fictional universe dictated the same reaction as in ours, he might have just been too shocked to do so. That defense wouldn't work for the succubus teacher though, but all she really knows is that a student has a crush on a teacher, which is hardly unusual.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Maybe in some third world countries where child sex slavery is allowed

See, this is exactly what is so ridiculous about this subject, is that here you are already equating these silly, harmless things in a cartoon with real-world child sex slavery. All I was talking about above is tweens and teens being innocently flirtatious as they can sometimes be and which is what we see here in this show, not child prostitution, molestation, sex trafficking, or anything of that nature.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Well I was reacting to you indicating it was totally normal for adults to accept flirtation including kisses from underage individuals as long as they aren't a teacher. That's whY I mentioned prostitution because those places are where it WOULD be normal. But it's not some normalized cultural thing in the U.S. or Japan. The fact that kids have crushes is one thing. It's still incumbent on adults to act responsibly. And yes, as a teacher who claims to be engaging in innocent non-prurient "study" of underage girls, I think he has a bit higher standard to hew to for his character to have any amount of logical consistency in his development.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Well I was reacting to you indicating it was totally normal for adults to accept flirtation including kisses from underage individuals as long as they aren't a teacher.

It depends on what you mean by "accept." To a certain extent, you do have to put up with it, because they say and do things you cannot possibly prevent, short of knocking them out with a good hard punch or swift kick anytime they happen to enter the same room, which is not exactly acceptable either. Obviously if "accept" means saying, "please do that again," then no that is definitely not what I'm talking about at all.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
In Interviews with Monster Girls, Hikari kissed the teacher on the cheek. That was to tease him, to get a reaction out of him, to embarrass him. Instead, the teacher's reaction was very mild which was to show Hikari that her attempt failed which embarrassed Hikari instead. It's not that he was "ok" with it. He instead showed Hikari that such an attempt was ineffective, that Hikari is too immature to perplex him that way. So, in a way, he did set boundaries.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
In this context, by not saying "No, and don't do that again" he accepted.

Cam0 wrote:
In Interviews with Monster Girls, Hikari kissed the teacher on the cheek. That was to tease him, to get a reaction out of him, to embarrass him. Instead, the teacher's reaction was very mild which was to show Hikari that her attempt failed which embarrassed Hikari instead. It's not that he was "ok" with it. He instead showed Hikari that such an attempt was ineffective, that Hikari is too immature to perplex him that way. So, in a way, he did set boundaries.

So as long as he doesn't get a big boner and grope her it's okay? I don't know exactly what this whole "get a rise out of him" is supposed to imply, but I think this position doesn't work anyway. Again, if we are talking about some kind of cultural norms relevant to the topic of this thread, an adult saying a child was coming on to them is like, never going to be accepted :0
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
@ CK - I guess I wasn't following the Monster Girl thread terribly closely because I did not notice/did not pick up on that you or anybody else was casting the kiss or confession in an execution light as opposed to conceptual. But now that you have clarified for me, I can say, no I don't see those as examples of poor character development. faulty internal logic or bad writing.

What I get from the MC so far is that he is an inquisitive person from a scientific standpoint, but perhaps not so swift on interpreting social situations. To wit, he seems afflicted by the same disease that seems to afflict 99.9 per cent of all anime males: he can't recognize when a female digs him. With the students he may actually have an excuse in that it may not occur to him that young girls would have a crush on a male teacher of his age. With Sakie the Succubus, she's probably going to have to wrap her legs around his neck before a clue drops.

As for Sakie not commenting on Kyoko's crush on a male teacher, I actually think that's pretty good writing because 1) it is a surprising reaction 2) yet, given the context, it kind of makes sense. The standard way for Sakie to react would have been to be jealous and to exhibit that jealousy by harrumphing to Kyoko that it is inappropriate for her to have those kind of feelings for a teacher. Alternatively, the other expected reaction would be to be genuinely appalled, jealousy or no, and earnestly urge Kyoko to suppress those kinds of feelings. Instead, Sakie chose not to treat Kyoko as a child (even though conceptually this would have been appropriate and the right thing to do) and having recoginzed that she herself may have feelings for Sensei, acts sympathetically. They have a discussion of how just because adults appear to be mature and together, that's a facade. Sakie's reaction to Kyoko fits in with that concept: she didn't react in an "adult" way, which I think is interesting. Maybe you consider writing where you can accurately predict how a character will react in any situation given what you know about that character as "good" writing, but I don't. I think that would be rote writing. Lazy or unexplainable character behaviour is bad writing, but surprising behaviour that, once you think about it, has its own sort of logic is good writing.

edit: just read cam0's intepretation of MC and the kiss and I find it very persuasive.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ CK - I guess I wasn't following the Monster Girl thread terribly closely because I did not notice/did not pick up on that you or anybody else was casting the kiss or confession in an execution light as opposed to conceptual. But now that you have clarified for me, I can say, no I don't see those as examples of poor character development. faulty internal logic or bad writing.

Okay, I'll just accept that we disagree on this. But yea, I just wanted to clarify since it seemed to be implied that I was broadly attacking the personal preference of people enjoying harem as a genre.

Quote:
What I get from the MC so far is that he is an inquisitive person from a scientific standpoint, but perhaps not so swift on interpreting social situations. To wit, he seems afflicted by the same disease that seems to afflict 99.9 per cent of all anime males: he can't recognize when a female digs him. With the students he may actually have an excuse in that it may not occur to him that young girls would have a crush on a male teacher of his age. With Sakie the Succubus, she's probably going to have to wrap her legs around his neck before a clue drops.

I'll give you that anime males often follow this archetype, but it is something I see as poor writing when it becomes a bit over the top, which I think is the case here IF we are going to assume that our MC is just too slow to figure out that these girls are crushing on him.

Quote:
As for Sakie not commenting on Kyoko's crush on a male teacher, I actually think that's pretty good writing because 1) it is a surprising reaction 2) yet, given the context, it kind of makes sense. The standard way for Sakie to react would have been to be jealous and to exhibit that jealousy by harrumphing to Kyoko that it is inappropriate for her to have those kind of feelings for a teacher. Alternatively, the other expected reaction would be to be genuinely appalled, jealousy or no, and earnestly urge Kyoko to suppress those kinds of feelings. Instead, Sakie chose not to treat Kyoko as a child (even though conceptually this would have been appropriate and the right thing to do) and having recoginzed that she herself may have feelings for Sensei, acts sympathetically. They have a discussion of how just because adults appear to be mature and together, that's a facade. Sakie's reaction to Kyoko fits in with that concept: she didn't react in an "adult" way, which I think is interesting. Maybe you consider writing where you can accurately predict how a character will react in any situation given what you know about that character as "good" writing, but I don't. I think that would be rote writing. Lazy or unexplainable character behaviour is bad writing, but surprising behaviour that, once you think about it, has its own sort of logic is good writing.

Okay its a good explanation of your thoughts on this and I can see how you come to that conclusion, but she is a child. I mean, yea its good to sometimes treat kids as adults when you are discussing something of serious import that the kid needs to get. But I don't think it makes sense for this particular fellow teacher to be treating these girls as adults in their romantic endeavors with their adult male teacher.

Also, since I didn't thank you earlier for welcoming me back, thanks Wink
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sakie's reaction to Kyoko fits in with that concept: she didn't react in an "adult" way, which I think is interesting.

Thinking back to that conversation, I could see why she would react the way she did. She's never been in an actual relationship so she realizes she's naive and immature in that area, and the guy they're both interested in is also has a fairly considerable lead in age over her as well. In a moral sense, relationship experience or not there's still a big difference between the two characters due to other factors such as overall life experience and biological development of the brain, but from Sakie's perspective she feels like she's in the same boat as Kyoko.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4