Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Resident Evil 7


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Themaster20000



Joined: 05 Aug 2014
Posts: 670
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
RE7 looks great from the few hours I saw of it.The atmosphere was great,I can't say I was scared though (then again I never found the series to be all that scary anyway).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prime_pm



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Posts: 1942
Location: Under Your Bed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Finally a real Resident Evil game I can get behind instead of just reading the story's Wiki page. I am so sick of everyone sticking their tongues up RE4's asshole. The controls were awful with the camera always behind you at ALL times. With all 6's faults at least they let you free roam.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Themaster20000



Joined: 05 Aug 2014
Posts: 670
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Finally a real Resident Evil game I can get behind instead of just reading the story's Wiki page. I am so sick of everyone sticking their tongues up RE4's asshole. The controls were awful with the camera always behind you at ALL times. With all 6's faults at least they let you free roam.


You gotta keep in mind with RE4 that it was the first game of it's type at the time,so of course the controls have aged,compared to similar games like Dead Space.Not sure what you mean with RE6 letting you free roam,since the game was pretty damn linear in what you do (not sure how that would make better anyway since the game is a trainwreck in just about every department).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 3834
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
With Berseria, KH 2.8, DQVIII and Next Order, January is a very good month for RPGs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Thacker



Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 536
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the folks who made the decision “Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken.” I don't really know what that means, but I'm desperate for that phrase to enter the common vernacular.


Makes sense.

Galapagosian - Refers to a Japanese buzzword from a few years ago of "Galapagos syndrome" and ガラパゴス化 (Galapagosization) referring to local products, offshoots, and evolutionary branches that are advanced and successful in their local (Japanese) environment but aren't successful globally. The original example was the advanced Japanese 3G feature phones, with all sorts of cool features not found outside Japan, but didn't catch on and were eventually superseded by the iPhone and Android. By saying that DOAX3 couldn't survive outside Asia and not even trying, they were exhibiting "Galápagos-thinking."

Lolita Complexed - Team Ninja and DOA have always been about adult, full-figured women, as opposed to the lolicons that many in Japan prefer

Chicken - too cowardly to release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Afezeria



Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 507
Location: Malaysia, Kuantan.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Resident Evil 7 is a great game, haven't personally played it but I did see the entire walkthrough. With that said, I'm pretty sick at people bashing Re 6 all the time, acting as if their opinion worth so much of a gold that they insisted on mocking the game every chance they got. I have no idea how it could be a trainwreck in every way when the gameplay is fun enough to keep you going and it has a lot of personal replay value, plus garnered a ton of sales. But sure, just because it veered more toward being an action shooter, in comparison from being what it is supposed to be back then decades ago, it's gotta be freakin bad, right? Everyone in this world should hated the hell out of it, right? What a load of nonsense. Resident Evil 6 has been released for so long but people still can't let it go, being no more childish than they could be. Dislike it, keep it out of the bound and focused on getting at what you've desired. But guess that's what the feeling of hatred would do to everyone, stripped away into revealing what they've really are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prime_pm



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Posts: 1942
Location: Under Your Bed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Finally a real Resident Evil game I can get behind instead of just reading the story's Wiki page. I am so sick of everyone sticking their tongues up RE4's asshole. The controls were awful with the camera always behind you at ALL times. With all 6's faults at least they let you free roam.


You gotta keep in mind with RE4 that it was the first game of it's type at the time,so of course the controls have aged,compared to similar games like Dead Space.Not sure what you mean with RE6 letting you free roam,since the game was pretty damn linear in what you do (not sure how that would make better anyway since the game is a trainwreck in just about every department).


I meant the controls. In RE4 it felt like a tank at times with the camera always behind you, whereas in 6 you could turn right by pushing right and whatnot. At least in Dead Space it had the feel of a sci-fi horror movie while RE4 became more and more like an action flick as the game progressed. Also, no escort missions, at least if I remember the first game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 2572
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
The controls were awful


No they weren't

prime_pm wrote:

I meant the controls. In RE4 it felt like a tank at times with the camera always behind you,


You mean just as the games that preceded it felt tankish but with fixed camera angles that could sometimes in tandem work against you?

Afezeria wrote:
when the gameplay is fun enough to keep you going


Sure if you don't mind that awful section with Chris and Piers in the humvee and the jet due to awkward controls, some enemies and bosses feeling like bullet sponges, & Ada's campaign coming off as janky due to the fact the entire game was designed around co-op which isn't apart of her's for some reason.

Afezeria wrote:
Everyone in this world should hated the hell out of it, right? What a load of nonsense. Resident Evil 6 has been released for so long but people still can't let it go, being no more childish than they could be. Dislike it, keep it out of the bound and focused on getting at what you've desired. But guess that's what the feeling of hatred would do to everyone, stripped away into revealing what they've really are.


The hate and contempt while overblown somewhat for 6 isn't as undeserved in certain respects as Resident Evil 5.

"WHY CAN'T I PLAY AS JILL?"


Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chester McCool



Joined: 06 Jan 2016
Posts: 79
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
7 commits the cardinal sin of no good waifus, which is sacrelegious for an RE game. At least 6 had Sherry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kicksville



Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 318
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:02 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
With that said, I'm pretty sick at people bashing Re 6 all the time, acting as if their opinion worth so much of a gold that they insisted on mocking the game every chance they got.

I feel you there, I've been reluctant to delve into too many comments about this one just cause I'm tired of yet another round of Resident Evil 6 Kicked My Puppy. I did think the upside to RE6's cold reception was that it felt like the kind of game they really only should do once - it felt complete and about as stuffed full of everything they could get out of it as possible. There's times when a developer may try to sidestep criticism of a previous game even while trying to change direction with the next one, but when they say they went as far as they could with the action aspect, I...actually don't think they're kidding. Buuut, even so, it's still a bummer seeing a game I enjoyed so much get beaten up everywhere like a Mad Gear flunky.

It has been a relief to hear 7 isn't like Beginning Hour, so I'll need to check it out soon. After I finish writing this super fluffy and adorable <3 Jake x Sherry <3 fanfic...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Themaster20000



Joined: 05 Aug 2014
Posts: 670
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Afezeria wrote:
With that said, I'm pretty sick at people bashing Re 6 all the time, acting as if their opinion worth so much of a gold that they insisted on mocking the game every chance they got.

I feel you there, I've been reluctant to delve into too many comments about this one just cause I'm tired of yet another round of Resident Evil 6 Kicked My Puppy. I did think the upside to RE6's cold reception was that it felt like the kind of game they really only should do once - it felt complete and about as stuffed full of everything they could get out of it as possible. There's times when a developer may try to sidestep criticism of a previous game even while trying to change direction with the next one, but when they say they went as far as they could with the action aspect, I...actually don't think they're kidding. Buuut, even so, it's still a bummer seeing a game I enjoyed so much get beaten up everywhere like a Mad Gear flunky.

It has been a relief to hear 7 isn't like Beginning Hour, so I'll need to check it out soon. After I finish writing this super fluffy and adorable <3 Jake x Sherry <3 fanfic...


I'd say the biggest issue people have with RE6,was it not knowing if it wanted to be a full-blown action game or survival horror.(this is obvious with how little ammo your giving,despite it being paced as an action game for the most part). They couldn't even get something simple as a decent cover system down! The inventory system was also a mess,considering you had scroll through the entire thing just to find the gun you wanted to swap to (it's baffling how it doesn't have something as simple as a quick select).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 2209
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
People go to Resident Evil for horror, or at the least, that tension of the unknown. It's why RE7: Texas Chainsaw Massacre seems to work so well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Stuart Smith



Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 1072
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
While it's nice to hear 7 goes back to the survival horror roots of the early games, the first person perspective is a real turn-off.

-Stuart Smith
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 2572
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
People go to Resident Evil for horror, or at the least, that tension of the unknown. It's why RE7: Texas Chainsaw Massacre seems to work so well.


Don't think that's why people flocked to Resident Evil 4 or keep flocking to the live action movies. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 2209
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Those films are less RE films and more "Paul Anderson glorifies his wife for two hours."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group