• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Makoto Shinkai Credits Korean Studios for Role in Producing Japanese Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the Japanese were concerned with consent *zing*
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

Yeah, that was a strange part of his statement. There's probably a translation error there...
That said, I'm honestly and sincerely impressed that Makoto Shinkai made this gesture of international friendship and acknowledged Korean animators and studios that work on anime. It would be nice to see more co-creative collaborations between Japan and Korea--Korea has one of the best, most innovative comic industries in the world now, and I'd love to see some of them animated. (I have a feeling that due to the high quality of both its comics & animation, it'll be better received than recent Chinese/Japanese anime projects).
Cheers to all efforts to bring cultural understanding in incredibly divisive times.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

Yeah, that was a strange part of his statement. There's probably a translation error there...
Yup. 納得 can be a hard word to translate, with possible meanings ranging from "making sense of something" to "accepting something as the way things should be". "Consent" can be it, but certainly not in this case, and the subject confusion facilitated by the particle は doesn't help. I'd go with something like "I can't make sense of the country Japan, but I do like its culture" or "I can't agree with the nation of Korea, but I do like its films". Basically he's saying that you don't have to be fully on board with another country's worldview and/or historical narratives in order to appreciate certain aspects of its cultural output, and from that you can build human connections.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

Yup. 納得 can be a hard word to translate, with possible meanings ranging from "making sense of something" to "accepting something as the way things should be". "Consent" can be it, but certainly not in this case, and the subject confusion facilitated by the particle は doesn't help. I'd go with something like "I can't make sense of the country Japan, but I do like its culture" or "I can't agree with the nation of Korea, but I do like its films". Basically he's saying that you don't have to be fully on board with another country's worldview and/or historical narratives in order to appreciate certain aspects of its cultural output, and from that you can build human connections.

^I was just about to say the same thing.

Difficult grammar and word choices or not, I think it should be obvious that "consent" makes zero sense in this context, neither in Japanese nor in English... never mind that the English sentence itself makes no sense. It's like the translator didn't even try to understand what Shinkai said, they just put some words after each other and called it a day.

(I've been saying this for a while but the translation quality of these articles is often ridiculous, especially for a website like ANN which has the tagline "The Internet's Most Trusted Anime News Source". Don't they have QA at ANN?)
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
That's a cool thing to say, especially considering how overlooked the korean animators are in Japan. I wasn't really interested in Your Name until now but something about these statements maybe convinced me of giving it a chance.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:03 am Reply with quote
t is nice that he acknowledges the help, especially with those rocky Korean-Japanese ties in the past few decades.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1