• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which anime of today will be considered future classics?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Back in the 2000s when I was in my teen years, there were plenty of ongoing shows that I never really considered would be considered "classics" a decade in the future. Plenty of shows like FMA, Gurren Lagann, Naruto, Bleach, FLCL, Eureka Seven, Death Note and many others were still ongoing or relatively new at the time. Me and my social circle never thought far ahead and tried to see which anime would live the test of time and fandom interest.

So I wanted to make a fun little thread where we can make predictions on which current anime might be considered classics 10 years in the future? For the sake of variety, lets set 2010-2019 as the range, but it'll definitely be more fun if we work with current shows that aren't more than 2 years old.

Here are some of my picks of this decade's anime titles that I think will be brought up in the future as the shows defining this decade:
(do note that I have not seen all these shows, nor do I like some the picks - but my opinion of the show doesn't change the fact of how big it was within the community)

-Durarara - Will be labeled as unique storytelling and style
-Oriemo (my little sister can't be this cute) - Will be one of the more notable harems
-Steins;Gate - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-Fate Zero - Will be a highly regarded mature high quality story, a la Garden of Sinners
-Hunter x Hunter 2011- Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade
-SAO - Unfortunately will get the "Anime Classic" label
-Kuroko no Basket - Will be regarded as the best entry in the sport genre for this decade (along with that volleyball show)
-JoJo - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-The Nisemonogatori franchise - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-Kill la Kill - Will be the "gurren lagann" of this decade, but not as good
-Space Dandy - Will age well and reach the same status as "samurai champloo"
-Tokyo Ghoul - Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade
-Assassination Classroom - Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade
-One Punch Man - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-My Hero Academia - Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade
-Yuri On Ice - Will get the "Anime Classic" label

Those are my predictions as of Jan 2017. We still have about two years before this decade ends, and I'm sure we'll get at least a few more quality shows to put on this list. Also, similarly, some of these shows might be completely forgotten in two years and I'll take them off this list. It'll be fun to come back here in 10 years (if I can remember LOL) to check my predictions Laughing -- maybe I'll write them down..
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Great topic, but a request to others: avoid lists. Reasons please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

I think that it is selling Kill la Kill a little short to just say it is as a just worse one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5zjo573zlk

I think that Puella Magi Madoka Magica is most definitely something that will be a classic, it pretty much rewrote magical girls.

And I would like to see Re:Zero become a classic. Tts longer length with a story that can be relentless with strong production values, subversive characters, iconic moments and characters, I think maybe could work to cement it in the general audience's mind. But it will probably be up to whether it can get a dub to do so in West.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
Madoka and From the New World look like titles that will be remembered for a long time. Very powerful emotional experiences.

Besides those I believe that Space Battleship Yamato (2199) is also great but since it's a remake it will not register that highly. Still taken in isolation it's an amazing series.

I wouldn't think that series like Yuri on Ice will be remembered for a long time. They are good but nothing very special in my opinion. Haven't watched any 2016 series that felt like "classic" although Your Name is 2016 and that's something that might be regarded as a classic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
How popular is a classic?

If we're talking FMA/DBZ/One Piece/Death Note levels, where even casual and non-anime specific fans will view them, I think that One Punch Man, Attack on Titan, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and ESPECIALLY Hunter x Hunter 2011 will be known for a while as classics. And, of course, Dragon Ball Super.

If we're talking something like Code Geass, Elfen Lied, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, or Paranoia Agent levels, then... My Hero Academia, Re:Zero, Erased, Durarara, Steins;Gate, and Fate/Zero are popular enough to be considered that league.

This isn't a gauge of quality as much as staying popularity.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
^Definitely. There are two types of shows, classics (FMA, Death Note etc) and very good shows that simply didn't reach that level of mainstream popularity. I agree that OPM will be a classic and something like Drrr will simply be a "hidden gem" that everyone recommends for it's unique storytelling.

Shows like Madoka are definitely going to be remembered, and stuff like Re:ZERO will most likely be forgotten very soon, and then we have the in-between stuff like Yuri which can go either way, not sure if it'll last or be forgotten in the near future.
Night fox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that noone has mentioned Parasyte yet. I thought that series would be one of the more obvious contenders for the "Classic" label. It's an original take on the Sci-fi genre and has some really memorable scenes (image) and cool characters (Migi stands out ofc) - and if you don't like it, talk to the hand. Wink

Ialso agree that Madoka deserves all the popularity it gets - certainly because of its tragic take on the Magical Girl genre - but mostly due to its stunning and intense visuals that's literally candy to your eyes. Smile
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
How popular is a classic?

If we're talking FMA/DBZ/One Piece/Death Note levels, where even casual and non-anime specific fans will view them, I think that One Punch Man, Attack on Titan, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and ESPECIALLY Hunter x Hunter 2011 will be known for a while as classics. And, of course, Dragon Ball Super.

If we're talking something like Code Geass, Elfen Lied, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, or Paranoia Agent levels, then... My Hero Academia, Re:Zero, Erased, Durarara, Steins;Gate, and Fate/Zero are popular enough to be considered that league.

This isn't a gauge of quality as much as staying popularity.

So you are talking about staying popularity where? In the US/UK or in Japan? In Japan I guess series like Yamato 2199 and Space Brothers were the relatively most popular among the maisntream among new series which aired in the 2010s.

Attack on Titan is based on a manga that began in 2009 though so even if the show is popular in Japan it's popularity existed just as a commercial for the manga.

In Japan I guess the most popular manga which began to be serialized in the 2010s are Assassination Classroom, The Seven Deadly Sins, One Punch Man and Haikyū. And manga is much more popular than anime in Japan although all these were adapted into TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Back in the 2000s when I was in my teen years, there were plenty of ongoing shows that I never really considered would be considered "classics" a decade in the future. Plenty of shows like FMA, Gurren Lagann, Naruto, Bleach, FLCL, Eureka Seven, Death Note and many others were still ongoing or relatively new at the time. Me and my social circle never thought far ahead and tried to see which anime would live the test of time and fandom interest.

So I wanted to make a fun little thread where we can make predictions on which current anime might be considered classics 10 years in the future? For the sake of variety, lets set 2010-2019 as the range, but it'll definitely be more fun if we work with current shows that aren't more than 2 years old.

Here are some of my picks of this decade's anime titles that I think will be brought up in the future as the shows defining this decade:
(do note that I have not seen all these shows, nor do I like some the picks - but my opinion of the show doesn't change the fact of how big it was within the community)

-Durarara - Will be labeled as unique storytelling and style
-Oriemo (my little sister can't be this cute) - Will be one of the more notable harems
-Steins;Gate - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-Fate Zero - Will be a highly regarded mature high quality story, a la Garden of Sinners
-Hunter x Hunter 2011- Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade
-SAO - Unfortunately will get the "Anime Classic" label
-Kuroko no Basket - Will be regarded as the best entry in the sport genre for this decade (along with that volleyball show)
-JoJo - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-The Nisemonogatori franchise - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-Space Dandy - Will age well and reach the same status as "samurai champloo"
-Tokyo Ghoul - Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade
-Assassination Classroom - Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade
-One Punch Man - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-My Hero Academia - Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade
-Yuri On Ice - Will get the "Anime Classic" label

Those are my predictions as of Jan 2017. We still have about two years before this decade ends, and I'm sure we'll get at least a few more quality shows to put on this list. Also, similarly, some of these shows might be completely forgotten in two years and I'll take them off this list. It'll be fun to come back here in 10 years (if I can remember LOL) to check my predictions Laughing -- maybe I'll write them down..

I think you were being a bit too hard on the SAO thing. (The only one you referred to as "unfortunate")
I think despite the polarizing level it has, I'm sure it will still be regarded as a classic by many.
Just saying.
Again, you say you don't like some of the other shows, but I still think that.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
SAO has some great atmosphere in many scenes and very good production values and art. However, its has some severe problems in it's writing specially in the second part of the first season, which is the only season I watched. Overall, it's rather problematic show that had some moments of greatness mixed in with some very bad moments.

Overall my list of favorite shows from 2010-2016 includes shows like Shirobako, excellent take on the animation industry in Japan and Hunter x Hunter (2011), which is like the best Shounen show ever made.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
Anime is a funny thing.. I do watch and like a lot of it and very little is part of the main topic list. I have Steins;Gate on BD but it's pretty bad science fiction- I'm still trying to figure out how they sent an email to a pager and how that email/message changed a person's sex. And that's not even getting into the whole spoiler[digitizing a person's memory/personality to the size it can be an email attachment, how that can be unzipped and then uploaded through headphones or however it was done].

They should have stuck with bananas. It's a great emotional series, yes, but it is more fantasy than even Chaos;Head.

Oriemo will be remembered for its ending and total character derailment, not being a classic.

I'd say Shaft and its source creator ruined any chance of the Bakemonogatari franchise of ever being more than a momentary cult thing once they're done producing new content. Far too few characters for a series that long and it's never a good sign of how much research has to be done and kept at hand in order to just watch it in some kind of order in the first place. Durarara!!? I remember the first 24 but forgot the following 36 because nothing actually happens.

It's kind of impressive but not in a good way. But sadly none of this really matters.

What shows do I think will be remembered? In this present era of seasonal streaming, the ones that will get remembered will be the ones that don't go away. I'm curious to see if Attack on Titan will be as big of a hit or if its casual audience has already moved on.

But none of these shows will ever be as classic as the ones that reached that status on mass produced DVD. I'm a collector of most things and this old adage will always be true: Anything too lightly gained is too lightly esteemed. The only things keeping these streaming shows alive past their initial season is people talking about them and I don't see Yuri on Ice managing this feat for very long. *cough* Free

When this topic came up before, I was uncertain about anything past Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood but thanks to AoA, I'm not even certain about that one anymore.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Some of you need to realize. This isn't "Which anime deserve to be remembered?" This is "What anime will be remembered?" Popularity>Actual quality. Otherwise Rakugo, Fate/Zero, Anohana, and some other high quality works would be the priority of this topic.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Some of you need to realize. This isn't "Which anime deserve to be remembered?" This is "What anime will be remembered?" Popularity>Actual quality. Otherwise Rakugo, Fate/Zero, Anohana, and some other high quality works would be the priority of this topic.

You took the words right out of my mouth lol. Popular shows are not always the best ones, and the status of being a 'classic' is not attained through a quality story alone, there is a big chunk of fan appreciation and word of mouth. As such, anime that got the mainstream's attention are more likely to be remembered over a show that was actually high quality but never took off with the masses.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

You took the words right out of my mouth lol. Popular shows are not always the best ones, and the status of being a 'classic' is not attained through a quality story alone, there is a big chunk of fan appreciation and word of mouth. As such, anime that got the mainstream's attention are more likely to be remembered over a show that was actually high quality but never took off with the masses.

Exactly.

Let's dwell on the fact that Psycho Pass and Anohana are popular among anime fans, but Code Geass and Sword Art Online are popular among people who aren't particularly interested in anime. Quality does not equal popularity.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:41 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Quality does not equal popularity.

My wild success with the ladies sez otherwise.

*rimshot*

But yes, a true statement. It's the the reason people recognize the name Love Hina even though that piece of crap should have entered memory oblivion. My apologies to anybody who actually likes the show, but I really found it pretty dreadful (especially the dub - the only way I was able to finish the series ((this was in the days when if I physically owned a series I felt obligated to watch the entire thing no matter how much I was hating it - those days are over)) was switch to subs about halfway through the series.)

Anyway, I think the only title missing so far is Fairy Tail. I'm pretty sure it will endure well into the future even if no more episodes are ever made. Oh, and possibly Skip Beat! Even before the successful Kickstarter, it was a title that seemed to have a fairly decent level of awareness despite not having a physical North American release.

Just thought of two more possibles, especially among the ladies with whom I'm so popular: Ouran High School Club and the Hetalia franchise. I expect those names to continue to be bandied about in the years to come.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3