• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heads up on Best Buy anime price reductions...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
These are for in-store. Probably can get the same online through the BB website but I doubt most people go to BB to order online!
My memory might NOT be exact but generally speaking most titles saw reductions of anywhere from $5 to $15 off what they were LAST week.

I'm PO'd about the price reduction on Escaflowne (V1)so I'm taking my set back and getting the $8 price back one way or another! I bought that set 3 days ago...!

Here's the highlights
Code Geass and Escaflowne go first since some people are into the retro-thing and might not be interested in the collector's sets... I sure as hell wasn't after browsing and being VERY unimpressed by the extras. (The only Funi LE I felt was moderately worth it was the Haruhi Suzumiya set which I found at a competitive price online.) Funimation shouldn't bother with LE's unless they at least toss something in like soundtracks and artbooks. I card decks are a joke personally.

Code Geass vol 1 and 2 -- down to $32.99
Escaflowne Vol 1 and 2 -- down to $26.99

Ghost in the Shell 25th anniversay BD was $6.99 I think?
Ghost in the Shell the new movie (follow-up to Ghost in the Shell: Arise OVA series) $16.99
I'm sure Ghost in the Shel: Arise has been marked down but lately I think the price has been hovering around $24.99... -- again, don't quite me. I really didn't pay attention to that set today.

Porco Rosso BD marked down to $24.99
I think Nausicaa BD was $12.99
Whisper of the Heart $17.99

If you're missing Ghibli BD's, you might want to start closing up on them.
I have a feeling the license Disney has for the US will expire any time now... We're well past the brief love affair the American entertainment biz had with Studio Ghibli.

Assassination Classroom. I want say $25 or $30 for either set... They're marked down the same.

A lot of the Funimation stuff from the past six months was marked down to this range.

They also have a sale on ALL the currently released Sailor Moon BD sets. First two starter sets (chipboards) are $37.99, parts two for SM and SMR are $33.99... I thought Sailor Moon S was $44.99 and Sailor Moon Crystal was $47.99 but don't quote me... Check for yourself.
They DID mark down the prices more from last week. These SM sets have been on sale for about a month... I wouldn't count on them being on sale for much longer!

The average for most of the BD's I saw on shelf had to be between $20 and $25 which is NOT bad for anime...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Some low prices are showing online. Most Disney Ghiblis are at $13 each, with "regular" prices at $15, some still more expensive.

I wouldn't worry so much about Disney dropping any licenses real soon. Ify ou look further into BB's sales it looks they are just part of a larger Disney markdown.

BestBuy.com has good free shipping levels and send to store options.

Don't know if this monster link will work....
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?cp=1&searchType=search&_dyncharset=UTF-8&ks=960&sc=Global&list=y&usc=All%20Categories&type=page&id=pcat17071&iht=n&seeAll=&browsedCategory=abcat0600000&st=categoryid%24abcat0600000&qp=null%5Ecurrentoffers_facet%3DCurrent%20Offers~On%20Sale%5Ecategory_facet%3DMovies%20%26%20TV%20Shows~cat02015%5Esubgenre_facet%3DSubgenre~Anime
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
Heads up, Amazon has been price matching (or is it BB that is price matching?) many of those same titles. Some of these have been going on for more than a few days. Here's a sample:

Ghost in the Shell 25th $6.99
GITS: The New Movie $16.99
GITS: Arise Borders 1&2 $17.99

Ghibli Movies like Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, The Wind Rises, Anrrietty, are all at $12.99.

The Ghibli movies are a good deal wherever you get them. They often hover in the $20-30 range, especially if they have been released in the last year or two.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh, thanks for the heads-up on Ghibli. I've been waiting ages for some of these to have a decent sale. This one's gonna hurt the ol' wallet. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
If Disney's Ghibli license lapses, then GKids and Cinedigm will probably pick up the slack on the home vid rights. Though, if I recall, Disney still had a stake in future Ghibli productions.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If Disney's Ghibli license lapses, then GKids and Cinedigm will probably pick up the slack on the home vid rights. Though, if I recall, Disney still had a stake in future Ghibli productions.

Yeah, they provide "seed" money to produce these movies -- even at $60 million budget for later Ghibli movies they were STILL cheaper to produce than Disney's own movies!!! -- but that doesn't mean they're obligated to release the movies on home video anywhere. They did that in Japan through their own home video label (Buena Vista-Japanese division?) but skipped at least 4-5 Ghibli films because they don't fit into the "branding" Disney wants to express in the US!!!

That mentality drives me nuts... The people who run Disney now don't know WHAT their company is anymore, or what they own! They're such PC knut-knicks and control freaks that it's not funny anymore!

They won't even release most of their old stuff anymore... The only Disney collectors that exist as far as they're concerned are the kids born after 1996!!!! Of course, they ignoring all the people who grew up on Disney pre-Eisner and anybody else who's interested in the animated shorts and films produced during Walt Disney's era. Their releases of their classic films on Blu ray for the most part have been a colossal joke!

I'd frankly be glad to see another company pick up Ghibli releases and treat them better than Disney treats its own films!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1