• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Izetta: The Last Witch Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
I'd say I largely agree with the review. The show was fun in some ways, but ultimately a bit disappointing. It had some wonky writing like spoiler[country's leaders speaking VERY LOUDLY about the country's greatest military secret out in the open].... I would've preferred if the show explored the setting more, but with only 12 episodes there wasn't a lot of time to work with.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
The big red flag for me when this original anime was announced was that Hiroyuki Yoshino was in charge of the scripts, and man some of his bad writing habits creeped up in this. Izetta wasn't unwatchable and I still enjoyed the spectacle, but I echo the same sentiments that it could have been SO MUCH MORE.

I think what really bugs me is that when's the next time someone will come up with an original anime starring female leads like these in a grand scope and accessible premise?
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Not trying to blame anyone, but why did so many people think that the series was going to be a yuri? Was it because of that one promo image (as seen in this review) of Izetta and Fine smiling at each other?

Quote:
There was room to develop more tension between them, as well as more backstory that could have been explored, but it just doesn't happen.

Yes, yes! Izetta and Fine's backstories should've been explored a lot more! Heck, I really think that episode 6 should've been a full flashback to Izetta's childhood instead of some bad, petty, pie filler. Really, there's still some things we don't know about Izetta. Like what happened to her parents? How did her grandmother die? How did she get separated from Fine and ended up getting sealed in a capsule where inside she was in deep sleep?
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
Not trying to blame anyone, but why did so many people think that the series was going to be a yuri? Was it because of that one promo image (as seen in this review) of Izetta and Fine smiling at each other?

That and other things like the closing image of the ED. I was watching an episode when my 25-yo daughter and a female friend were here. When the ED appeared, the friend said, "wow, is that gay!"

And it's not like the writers didn't push the yuri-baiting. The scenes in Fine's bedroom during the conference in episode seven could have been seen as just a strong friendship or something more.

I'd vote for Izetta as the most disappointing show of Fall, 2016, for all the reasons spelled out in the review.

Last edited by yuna49 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
Yep that review pretty much sums up my sentiments.

Izetta gave the impression it was going to be its own show, perhaps something unique or different. Episode 1 definitely created that illusion, it was interesting, dramatic and exciting, the rest of the series however was by the numbers guff. The trite slice of life inserts and completely pointless fan service just left me screaming into to my pillow.

"Biggest disappointment of the Season" is exactly what this show was for me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
I liked Izetta. It was an entertaining, solid and simple show. I never really saw this huge potential that the reviewer and the posters are talking about. If the show's writing had been in a caliber of a Madoka Magica for 10 episodes and then became shit in the last two episodes, I would have been mad.

Fortunately, I never let my wild imagination get the best of me and pretended that Izetta was going to be some kind of masterpiece. The first third of Izetta made it clear that it was going to be an entertaining and simplistic/shallow anime, and it delivered throughout its run.

Izetta: The Last Witch is a B anime series in my book.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Izetta but also agreed with the reviews, the first three episodes were some of the more entertaining episodes I've seen last season but after that, fanservice just shoves into my face every episode. Which is a shame because with the premise of WWII and magic, I had hoped it could be somewhat like Maria the Virgin Witch or Valkyria Chronicles. The inclusion of spoiler[Sophi and cloning feel way too rushed and anti-climatic, and I had some hope that the Emperor would be a more developed character not some power-hungry dictator. Oh year and the last episode sudden went DBZ lol]

Nonetheless, I liked Izetta for what it offered, the fairy tale was pretty good, and the mini manga came each week always makes me chuckle.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
while at first I was only thingking about ocmapring this show to kanazuki no miko for the yuri element, truly, izzeta in inferior in all aspects to miko in all aspects but production values, with the notalbe exception of the first episode being much more promising.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Never expected much from Izetta since it's a Japanese alt-WW2 story, which these days is a big warning sign that reads "we want to wank off to 20th century warfare but not be the bad guys." The real map of Europe with no effort alternate names for the countries (Thermidor? I bet they were laughing all night in the production office when they came up with that) didn't help, since Eylstadt being an alt-history Lichtenstein immediately made me think of the Duchy of Grand Fenwick, & Izetta is in a sense The Mouse That Roared with all the humour stripped out.

Was alright. Could have been better, but not with the people making it or the audience it was aimed at.
Natalie_Black

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
What I found weird is that it was pretty clear that they had a Germany spy, but any Elystad character thought about it.

I agree with the review. I was impressed with the first episodes, but I think the story told wasn't what I was expecting. There was a lot to explore and we got a story developed that I couldn't care less, that felt like filling.

Worse is the number of interesting characters wasted. At the end they remain plain, just like first episode.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Never expected much from Izetta since it's a Japanese alt-WW2 story, which these days is a big warning sign that reads "we want to wank off to 20th century warfare but not be the bad guys."...

And note that the war in Izetta ended the day before Pearl Harbour.

It was a disappointment for me also, and I'm something of a military/history buff. I was hoping that aspect to be be decoration on an otherwise complex story. We only got the decoration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Military buff reporting. Especially WW2-era.

I was at first interested in the progression of the lopsided conflict. She's got magic, how will she deal with guns? check. Planes? Check. Tanks and a full battle? Check. Aircraft carrier and Super Planes? Wow, check. Where are they gonna go? Holy crap full on steampunky Anti-Witch weapon? Nice. No no, can't have that its now just another Witch.

So the tactical side of combat eventually sputtered out into gibberish. This was no LoGH. We didn't get Smart people vs Smart people. It was idiots vs idiots and one side had a witch to compensate for numbers.

Like once the other witch entered combat I bailed on this show and I'm not looking back. I could just rewatch Zipang for some deeper revisionist warfare that's actually done better.

As the previous poster said, we only got the Decoration. There was no substance to the military meat, the character meat, the plot. Strong start, none of it stuck around.
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I felt this show was pretty decent throughout at least a solid C as the review suggests. Then there's that dumpster fire of a last episode. I don't feel like going over it in detail but really ruined the show for me.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
The big red flag for me when this original anime was announced was that Hiroyuki Yoshino was in charge of the scripts, and man some of his bad writing habits creeped up in this.
I have problem with this dude. He like to make earlier-was-good-but-now-turned-out-bad anime. See what he done to Guilty Crown. spoiler[Some female character was blackmailed and forced to have threesome sex. MC become crybaby and act like an asshole because heroine(?) died, totally destroyed MC personality we know since the beginning ]

My biggest complaint is when he make bad logic for plot convenient. Fine and Izetta ignored the unknown people who attacked Izetta, pretend nothing was happened. Lieutenant Jonas heard some confidential info from higher ups and they were talk loudly about it. And I hate he made Berkman who is a main antagonist a coward man who beg his life spared.

The ending is ok though. But this anime have great potential and they wasted it. I actually prefer Izetta died and Fine mourn on her grave.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Izetta is a prime example of what happens when you try to cram too much content into twelve episodes without a noticeable plan.

I pretty much agree completely with the review and the series was definitely the one with the strongest debut last fall; it was the front runner for my favourite series of the fall season and one of my top of the year up until episode 4 launched. However, it felt as if they didn't have a clear idea of where they wanted to take the story, or how they wanted to handle the characters.

They seemed to mix in too many different ideas that never seemed to stick, while missing out on the obvious strengths that the series had at the start. If they had put more emphasis on developing the central characters, while simultaneously exploring this alt.history WWII with magic (much like the Valkyria Chronicles games and anime, which accomplished much of what Izetta was also aiming for).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2