• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does The Same Title Get Translated Differently For Anime Vs Manga Releases?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peno

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
zensunni wrote:
everyone KNOWS that the "L" sound isn't natural in Japanese

I know you're being facetious here, but I really hate this argument that "Japanese doesn't have Ls, only Rs." Anglocentrism at its best, really. There is not a perfect, direct correlation between the English alphabet and the sounds used in Japanese.

The entire reason the R/L debate exists is because sometimes it sounds closer to a R, sometimes it sounds closer to a L, depending on both the speaker and the listener. To shoehorn it into always being an R is to willfully ignore the fact that... as another commentor eloquently said, "Translation is a hard job."

O yeah, R/L confusions. That's what happened to Castle in the Sky in my country. While English versions, correct me if I am wrong, were consistent in translating the head of a pirates as Dola, and fan translations in my country followed that pattern, the eventual dub (as well as official DVD subs, both done by the same translator) decided to use the name Dora, for some reason. Believe it or not, there were people who disregard the dub (which was great, IMO the best Ghibli movie dub ever done here) just because of this one name, which was spelled differently in official translation than previous fan translations or English version. I think they would be safer if they translated from English version, instead of Japanese one, because that way, they would be consistent with fan translations. But then again, they would be criticized by others (or maybe even by the same people) that they did not translate from Japanese, as previously happened to some other anime in my country. Yeah, translating is pain.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And there are still those who insist on Arucard (Dracura? Would he then be Brad Tepes?)...

I remember Crispin Freeman mentioning once that the dub staff basically had to fight tooth-and-nail to be able to use the correct name there. Whatever production committee representatives they were in contact with kept insisting on Arucard, and when they brought up the name-reversal, the response was something like, "Exactly, from Dracura!" I feel like my immediate response would have been to find the thickest, heaviest Bram Stoker edition I could get my hands on and shove it straight in their face.

There was a follow up to that in a commentary for Hellsing Ultimate. Apparently, both sides of the argument also ended up at some event with Hirano, so the dub staff decided to ask him since they weren't convinced that he was ever consulted before. Hirano's answer was something along the lines of thinking it was better to defer to the English speakers on that one.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
But also, why does everyone translate 巨人 as "Titans". Shouldn't it really be something like "giant"?

The proper word would be eoten. But the author wanted "Titan" as the translation, even though it introduces irrelevant connotations of Greek mythological references.

Is that related to the Francisco Goya "Titan paintings" rumor stuff? I remember many people claiming that they were related, and they do look very similar, and the name makes the connection seem even more likely, but I don't know if there has been any official proof of it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
With the AoT anime, the most appropriate use of the Greek Titan angle was Eren lifting that boulder in that one episode. This is similar to Atlas.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:59 am Reply with quote
Deynard21 wrote:
Oh yes because that's a big problem. They should think about why manga called Shingeki no Kyojin is translated into Attack on Titan when in one of the newest chapters 進撃の巨人 is translated into "Attacker Titan" not Attack on Titan Rolling Eyes

If I recall correctly, "Attack on Titan" is one of those phrases where someone high-up (might have been Hajime Isayama himself, but I'm not sure) said that the title MUST be that, no exceptions, no negotiations. I have no doubt that every company involved in adapting it into English has asked to change the title to something that more accurately describes the series and less describes a battle on Saturn's largest moon.

We had series in the past like this too, like Encouragement of Climb, To-Love-Ru, Chrno Crusade, and Erementar Gelade, where someone with a lot of power set these titles in stone and refused any suggestions to fix them to something more meaningful (or with correct spelling). Makes me wonder if they think they know better English than they actually do--seems to be the case with To-Love-Ru (thanks for everything, Julie Newmar), under the insane logic of it being a pun on two English words ("trouble" and "love") and thus people fluent in English should understand it. (No, they won't.)

Bastille wrote:
Seriously though, which of the three would you pay more attention to? "Attack on Titan", "Attacker Titan", or "Vanguard Titan". AoT may be an awkward title due to the name drop aspect but it does work well as the series title from a marketing perspective.

The problem is that the title is misleading. I've seen people do more direct translations of the title into stuff like "Attack of the Titans," "Invasion of the Titans," and "Advancement of the Titans," which are all dramatic-sounding and actually describe the premise.

EnigmaticSky wrote:
The other thing is that often times there just isn't a direct translation, whether it be for a title or dialogue. That way you either end up with wordy explanations of the original word from the other language, or words that are "close enough." Also you can sometimes ask 10 different translators to translate the same dialogue and get 10 different translations, for the reasons I just mentioned. I mean just look at how -san is handled. You sometimes get people replacing it with Mr., but if schoolmates are talking you wouldn't say "Hey Mr. Xyz, ready for class to start?" You sometimes keep the -san suffix and assume your audience knows how it works, you sometimes just drop it, and sometimes they just put the person's first name even if the character said their last since in most English speaking countries in that context they would have said their first name. And that's just names, think about how many words have similar meanings in English, or how you would rearrange longer sentences to have a more natural flow since Japanese and English grammar are so different.

Translation is a hard job.

I think it was part of your point, but any line of dialogue longer than "Yes" or the like can be translated many different ways (and, depending on the context, even "Yes" could potentially be translated many different ways too).

Everyone I've met who wonders or complains why translators can't independently agree on one thing is monolingual. They don't treat it as a creative process, but more like a substitution cipher, as if each word has an exact match into any language. (This isn't to belittle anyone who's monolingual, but it is a mindset that bugs me because of how incorrect it is.)

The way I see it, translating something from one language to another, and it can be anything, is analogous to an artist looking at a picture of a rose and asked to make a cubist painting of it. You could assign ten artists the same task, and you'll get ten cubist images of the same rose, but they'll all look noticeably different from each other. It'll be an astonishing coincidence for two artists to show you identical-looking paintings (or one of the artists peeked at the other artist's finished work), just as it'd be an astonishing coincidence for two translators to produce the exact same set of sentences.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
May I present one of my favourite "official" translations: I Wanting strengthen most in the worlds.

Yeah, I would not watch or read something called that (maybe except for laughs). It'll make me think the entire series would be in equally shoddy English.

zensunni wrote:
Yep! My favorite, though it isn't about a title, is the whole argument about whether the main female character of Spice and Wolf is "Holo" or "Horo". You will still see people calling her Horo on message boards because that is what the fan translations called her when the first translations came out and, everyone KNOWS that the "L" sound isn't natural in Japanese so it wouldn't be that. There were all kinds of arguments about a word that had the meaning of wolf in the language of the Ainu people or something like that being similar as well. This persisted ever AFTER the Spice and Wolf II anime came out with the clear picture on the screen of Holo signing her name and spelling it in clear, cursive letters H O L O. In the original Japanese language version... (My favorite argument was that nobody ever complained about Lawrence being Rawrence...)

You also have the people who would rather spell out every syllable even when the name is in katakana and is clearly meant to use foreign words. There are a handful of Pokémon fans who, for instance, call Scyther not Strike, but Sutoraiku. They won't call Flygon as Flygon, but Furaigon. They drive me nuts! I can't tell if they think they're being more accurate and true to the Japanese, or if they just prefer things to sound as Japanese as possible.

Amaranth Sparrow wrote:
Something else to consider, at least where dubs are concerned, is lip-synching. Lip-syncing often requires brevity that a full, proper translation of the Japanese cannot convey.

For example, in Naruto, Pain has an ability called Chibaku Tensei (地爆天星). A proper literal translation, since its phrased as a yojijukugo (four-character idiom), would be something poetic like, "Earthly Devastation, Heavenly Formation."

A whopping 12 syllables compared to five syllables in the original Japanese. And thus in the dub, it becomes abridged to "Planetary Devastation," which is still pretty long.

Likewise his Shinra Tensei (Omnipresent God, Heavenly Subjugation) becomes "Almighty Push" and Bansho Ten'in (All Creation, Heavenly Attraction) becomes "Universal Pull," which in my opinion are two of the best, most concise translations I've seen in anything.

I'd like to give an example that annoys me and is similar to the above: Kimimaro's technique, 早蕨の舞 (Sawarabi no Mai), which is officially translated as "Bracken Dance" and, for some reason, the fan translations agree on "Dance of the Seedling Fern." Obviously, "Bracken Dance" fits much closer, and it refers to the specific species of fern, Pteridium aquilinium (though oddly, it's much shorter than the Japanese phrase). But the fan phrase annoys me on another level: I hope I'm not being pedantic here, but there is no such thing as a seedling fern because ferns grow from spores. Admittedly, "Dance of the Sporophyte Fern" sounds worse, but they could've used adjectives like "young" or "sprouting."

(Note: I don't know any Japanese. But I know enough about botany to be bugged with calling a young fern a "seedling.")

jenny10-11 wrote:
It always makes me laugh when the nit-picky translation people say "this long, cumbersome sentence is more correct than this sentence which flows easily and conveys the same meaning."

The split is between those who view a translated work in reference with the original text or speech, and those who view a translated work as a standalone piece. Rarely do the two groups agree, but the latter is so much more populous and wider in scope.

xScar wrote:
Because that isn't the literal translation.
"Attack of the Titans" would be the reverse 巨人の進撃, while the actual title is 進撃の巨人 (The Attacker('s) Titan, the Vanguard('s) Titan, etc.)

What does that mean? That the attacker/vanguard has a titan?

samuelp wrote:
The question wasn't about why 1 translation is better or chosen over another, it was about why different mediums can get different translations for the title.

The root of it, I'm seeing, is that the person who asked, in both examples, identified one phrase as correct and implied the other is incorrect. Now, I don't know enough about those examples to speak any further, but it created the impression of "one phrase is correct and the others are all wrong."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
I'm probably wrong, but I don't think the の in 進撃の巨人 is used as a possessive. I think it's used to qualify 巨人, as in the kind of Titan it is, like an Attack Titan (similar to the construction "attack dog"). This use of の is also seen in titles like Ao no Exorcist/Ao no Futsumashi (Blue Exorcist, not Exorcist's Blue) and Tonari no Totoro ((My) Neighbor Totoro, not Totoro's Neighbor).

The problem is that, as a title, Attack Titan doesn't make much sense or give enough information, so it sounds odd in English. They should've just gone with Attack of the 50 Foot Cannibals or Titanado!. Wink
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
An example of where the various translations can be justifiably frustrated is AoT's Eren's last name. Heck, on his AoT Wiki page, they polled contributors as to how the name should be spelled on there: Jäger, Jaeger or Yeager? Yeager was the result and this is also the spelling the manga-ka uses.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm probably wrong, but I don't think the の in 進撃の巨人 is used as a possessive. I think it's used to qualify 巨人, as in the kind of Titan it is, like an Attack Titan (similar to the construction "attack dog"). This use of の is also seen in titles like Ao no Exorcist/Ao no Futsumashi (Blue Exorcist, not Exorcist's Blue) and Tonari no Totoro ((My) Neighbor Totoro, not Totoro's Neighbor).

You're mixing up the order of the possession in those examples. In Tonari no Tototo, it would be more accurate to say The(My) Neighbor's Totoro, in the example of Ao no Exorcist, it would be Blue Exorcist, pretty literally. The way that the "possessive" aspect of の works is that whatever comes first is the quality of what comes second, or the owner of what comes second. An additional example would be Gin no Saji. Silver is possessing the spoon, or is the quality of the spoon. Blue is the quality of the Exorcist, The Neighbor is possessing Totoro, etc.
So for the example of Shingeki no Kyojin, the Shingeki(rage, attack, etc) is the quality of the Kyojin(giant, titan). Personally, I think the most concise and natural sounding translation is something like The Raging Titan, but I don't think it's a great name for a series.

Quote:
Titanado!. Wink

I like it!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
You're mixing up the order of the possession in those examples. In Tonari no Tototo, it would be more accurate to say The(My) Neighbor's Totoro, in the example of Ao no Exorcist, it would be Blue Exorcist, pretty literally. The way that the "possessive" aspect of の works is that whatever comes first is the quality of what comes second, or the owner of what comes second. An additional example would be Gin no Saji. Silver is possessing the spoon, or is the quality of the spoon. Blue is the quality of the Exorcist, The Neighbor is possessing Totoro, etc.
So for the example of Shingeki no Kyojin, the Shingeki(rage, attack, etc) is the quality of the Kyojin(giant, titan). Personally, I think the most concise and natural sounding translation is something like The Raging Titan, but I don't think it's a great name for a series.

"The Raging Titan." I like that one. It sounds natural and dramatic.

The word "Attack" has kind of lost its punch (no pun intended) over the decades with being used on everything and for a variety of purposes, with "Attack of the..." becoming one with mid-20th century B-movies. An attack could be on the levels of planet-destroying lasers, or it could just be an angry customer punching someone at a store. To me, the phrase "Titan Attack" doesn't really visualize much for me, nor does it sound that big a deal. "The Raging Titan," to me conveys a giant who's lost control and guided by its emotions and frustrations. In addition, the word "Titan" flows into the word "Attack," causing it to be spoken quickly. However, you have to pause a bit between "Raging" and "Titan," which makes it sound bigger and grander.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
My favorite case has got to be Asobi ni Ikuyo, which got three different English titles: "Bombshells from the Sky" as the simulcast's subtitle, "Cat Planet Cuties" for Funimation's release, and the more literal "Let's Go Play" for the manga.
Of course, the anti-industry crowd that doesn't understand the whole "anime is a business" thing loves to seize on examples like this to say, "Look how incompetent these 'professional' translators are, they thought Asobi ni iku yo meant Cat Planet Cuties!" Yes, there sadly are people who think this way Rolling Eyes
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Of course, the anti-industry crowd that doesn't understand the whole "anime is a business" thing loves to seize on examples like this to say, "Look how incompetent these 'professional' translators are, they thought Asobi ni iku yo meant Cat Planet Cuties!" Yes, there sadly are people who think like this Rolling Eyes

Just wondering if something got lost in translation there? After all that 'user' works as editor at Animage. Perhaps you should have had that exchange in Japanese...
partially

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

yup, and you still did not mention how no matter what you do, someone always gets angry.

Exactly. I sympathize with the person asking the question, but phrasing things as "the right translation" or the wrong translation is misguided. There is rarely just one right translation. It depends on context and a lot of other various things.

While you are correct, you also miss a point that I think is important, and really needs to be improved. That is that although and because there are different ways to phrase things in translation, it is especially important to have a GLOSSARY! When you work on something make a note of translations for terms and also SHARE IT. At the same time if there is already work done on a particular title, (e.g. translating a manga that is already a translated anime, or vice versa) contact the translator for that project and ask if they made their own glossary, or watch/read it and make your own.

And unless something is very inaccurate that has previously been published, don't change it in the future just to make it "better", leave it as it was despite any pride you may feel. Too often I see simple terms that should be part of a glossary constantly change. A glossary for any project should be pretty extensive, not the 10 term list you sometimes find in the back of some books. As for titles, well that is more a business decision than a translator one, so I won't comment on them.

Anyway, pet peeve and a bit of a rant out of the way. I come from a background in academic work editorial, where there should be (and sometimes there is) more diligence in such things. I do realize that poor pay makes a difference. Some translators need to realise that actually getting into the practice of making such things actually saves their time in the long run. And keeping glossaries to yourself if you have made them, is just silly!
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that does seem like a problem when it comes to Attack on Titan.
Attack of the Titans would have made more sense. Sure it might not sound very unique but it does fit the series like it should.

Another one for me is of course, when Kannazuki no Miko is English translated, instead of "Priestesses of the Godless Month", its "Destiny of the Shrine Maiden" or sometimes "Destiny of Shrine Maiden"!
The hell is up with that? They should have just renamed it "Unmei no Miko".
Or here's my preferred English title: "October's Shrine Maidens."
Short, sweet, and to the point.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

yup, and you still did not mention how no matter what you do, someone always gets angry.

Exactly. I sympathize with the person asking the question, but phrasing things as "the right translation" or the wrong translation is misguided. There is rarely just one right translation. It depends on context and a lot of other various things.

While you are correct, you also miss a point that I think is important, and really needs to be improved. That is that although and because there are different ways to phrase things in translation, it is especially important to have a GLOSSARY! When you work on something make a note of translations for terms and also SHARE IT. At the same time if there is already work done on a particular title, (e.g. translating a manga that is already a translated anime, or vice versa) contact the translator for that project and ask if they made their own glossary, or watch/read it and make your own.

And unless something is very inaccurate that has previously been published, don't change it in the future just to make it "better", leave it as it was despite any pride you may feel. Too often I see simple terms that should be part of a glossary constantly change. A glossary for any project should be pretty extensive, not the 10 term list you sometimes find in the back of some books. As for titles, well that is more a business decision than a translator one, so I won't comment on them.

Anyway, pet peeve and a bit of a rant out of the way. I come from a background in academic work editorial, where there should be (and sometimes there is) more diligence in such things. I do realize that poor pay makes a difference. Some translators need to realise that actually getting into the practice of making such things actually saves their time in the long run. And keeping glossaries to yourself if you have made them, is just silly!

I totally understand where you are coming from. I only take issue with the fact that the asker referred to certain translations as "right" versus other wrong translations.
For what it's worth, the issue is once again that they aren't able to communicate with the other publisher, in most cases, for licensing reasons, time reasons, and legal reasons. So it's not really possible for there to be a universal glossary for these things. Communication needs to be better on both sides, but you can only do so much. And I would not blame the translator for most things. They are very often just doing what they are told to do by the licensor, especially in the case of titles and specific terms or names that are questionable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5