• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does The Same Title Get Translated Differently For Anime Vs Manga Releases?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:

If you think translation pays poorly, you may want to research it more. It can be quite lucrative depending on what project you take on. Those novels you buy? Yeah, that costs a hell of a lot to translate. $8000 for a volume on the low end of the spectrum for character count and $12,000 on the high end (based on a 200,000 character volume that is). There's no reason to help out the next translator if you're only working on one volume... why? That's a contract you don't have to make money on.

When I was talking to Ed Chavez recently he said that they paid the Kizumonogatari translator over $50k for his work on that. And that it took him just a little over 6 months, if I remember right. that's not bad at all. And now that guy has a long stream of future Monogatari and Nisioisin works to work on.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
When I was talking to Ed Chavez recently he said that they paid the Kizumonogatari translator over $50k for his work on that. And that it took him just a little over 6 months, if I remember right. that's not bad at all. And now that guy has a long stream of future Monogatari and Nisioisin works to work on.

I'm honestly surprised that he would divulge that amount. I guess it all depends on whether they locked him into a packaged deal or not too. Sometimes if translators are guaranteed a string of work then they'll knock the cost down a bit... Either way, since that novel retails for about $14, Vertical would have to move over 3500 units alone just to pay the translator. That doesn't include editing, layout and printing. I guess that's also why he said (if memory serves me) that they don't have a huge cash revenue. This is why it's vital for fans to go out and purchase things!
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

I'm honestly surprised that he would divulge that amount. I guess it all depends on whether they locked him into a packaged deal or not too. Sometimes if translators are guaranteed a string of work then they'll knock the cost down a bit... Either way, since that novel retails for about $14, Vertical would have to move over 3500 units alone just to pay the translator. That doesn't include editing, layout and printing. I guess that's also why he said (if memory serves me) that they don't have a huge cash revenue. This is why it's vital for fans to go out and purchase things!

He noted that it was above market value for the work, admittedly. Which I imagine might partly be due to how wordy and difficult NisioIsin prose can be? Maybe? I wouldn't really know if that kind of payment adjustment happens. But yeah, he didn't give me exact numbers, just that ballpark estimate, which I thought was pretty substantial. When the guy was translating Kizu I don't think they knew whether or not more Monogatari was coming either. So he was probably paid for the single work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5