• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Masamune-kun's Revenge Anime's English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I might give this show a watch since the cast and crew looks pretty good. I liked Emily Neves script work for Yona of the Dawn so i think she'll doa good job here.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh shit Alexis Tipton's first full fledged directorial debut (she was assistant director for Love Live Sunshine)! Congrats, I look forward to it!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Are they gonna censor/rewrite characters in this show like they did with Dragon Maid?
CaRoss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Are they gonna censor/rewrite characters in this show like they did with Dragon Maid?

What do you mean by this? After spending a lot of time listening to some of Funimation's writers and directors discuss the process of how they put together the dub scripts and performances for their shows, I would be really surprised if they actually "censored" anything.

As to the rewriting characters, this actually happens all the time and is just a part of Funimation's dubbing process.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Jesus lady, try to have SOME faith in America (or at least the half that isn't waving around racist Trump-related symbols everywhere they go).

And to answer your question, Funimation never does that, and if they did they wouldn't have the resources of another year or so.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Are people still on about that? It was one line. They will most likely change it once the home release comes out, and besides its not like it changes the entire context of the show seeing as the preceeding line was Tohru saying she was attracted to Kobayashi sexually.

This is the same company (and the same writer in Jamie Marchi) that wrote the script for Yurikuma. I doubt they are trying to erase anything.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Are people still on about that? It was one line. They will most likely change it once the home release comes out, and besides its not like it changes the entire context of the show seeing as the preceeding line was Tohru saying she was attracted to Kobayashi sexually.

This is the same company (and the same writer in Jamie Marchi) that wrote the script for Yurikuma. I doubt they are trying to erase anything.

And It was one line that didn't even change the scene, it just made Kobayashi sound vague in her opinion and as others have said in other comment threads the line was almost worse in Japanese where she says "But I'm a women" at least in the English she said "I'm not into girls"

WHICH WE'VE BEEN GIVEN ZERO INDICATION IF KOBAYASHI ACTUALLY IS GAY OR NOT!

At least in the English line she acknowledges that Thoru is into girls but she's not, in the Japanese she all but pushes away any love because they're both girls. People have blown that line so far out of proportion it's almost laughable.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I was already hoping this would get a dub, but to see that Alexis is directing?? Now this I have to see!
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Ignoring the apparent controversy about a completely different show and unnecessary political commentary, I'm feeling really skeptical about this dub cast. I can't hear Morgan Garrett as Aki or Justin Briner as Kojuurou, especially since the latter's supposed to look and sound like a trap. Congrats to Ms. Tipton directing but the first episode will need to really impress me to switch.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Ignoring the apparent controversy about a completely different show and unnecessary political commentary, I'm feeling really skeptical about this dub cast. I can't hear Morgan Garrett as Aki or Justin Briner as Kojuurou, especially since the latter's supposed to look and sound like a trap. Congrats to Ms. Tipton directing but the first episode will need to really impress me to switch.

I'm not sure about Morgan as Aki either but I suppose I'll have to hear it to know for sure.

Totally agree on Justin Briner though, he can do a girly voice, but it's to boyish. I'm surprised they didn't have a girl do the voice instead.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Totally agree on Justin Briner though, he can do a girly voice, but it's to boyish. I'm surprised they didn't have a girl do the voice instead.

Funimation has already shown that they're amenable to that idea. They cast Lindsay Seidel as Nagisa in Assassination Classroom after all. This must be just a weird decision on their part. Won't know until the dub actually launches though.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
I was already hoping this would get a dub, but to see that Alexis is directing?? Now this I have to see!

One good thing about them dubbing so many shows at once is that opportunities for experienced actors to step into directing has expanded greatly. Plus, Funimation seems to assign them as an assistant director at least once beforehand.
Vannil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't quite agree with the casting of Monica Rial as Yoshino Koiwai as the character is more quiet and low pitched than Monica's usual high pitch voice. Yes, I know Monica Rial does lower pitched voices, such as Tomo from WataMote (which was great), but again, I only have some reservations since she is not very well known for lower, more quite voices. Otherwise I am super excited fro the dub and hope it does well.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
I don't quite agree with the casting of Monica Rial as Yoshino Koiwai as the character is more quiet and low pitched than Monica's usual high pitch voice. Yes, I know Monica Rial does lower pitched voices, such as Tomo from WataMote (which was great), but again, I only have some reservations since she is not very well known for lower, more quite voices. Otherwise I am super excited fro the dub and hope it does well.

You seem to have forgotten about Michiko&Hatchin, Burst Angel, Fairy Tail(Demon Mirajane), Summer Wars, even Bulma to an extent. It's fair to say you greatly underestimate Monica's ability.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
So just saw Episode 1.

Morgan Garret is surprisingly good at Aki, a pleasent surprise. Josh Grelle is in usual Protaganist voice mode. The rest of the cast is fine, Caitlin Glass is really good as the class rep.

The only drawback is Justin Briner as Kojuurou he's fine as a high pitched boy, but he doesn't feel girly enough for the role
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2