• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Japanese School Kids Carry Randoseru?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:42 am Reply with quote
computerandy9 wrote:
In Australia school bags are mandated by each school and will generally match the uniforms colours and have the logo on it. As far as I can remember all throughout school including primary school (elementary school) and secondary school (junior and senior high school) it was always backpacks. Backpacks were way more comfortable when travelling with heavy textbooks. I can't imagine using a satchel/ messenger bag for school.

Because of that it makes the bags used in Japan seem so interesting and unique from my perspective.

I'd phrase that as "less uncomfortable" rather than "more comfortable", given the sheer mass of those bloody textbooks.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Curious. From my own experiences, school bags would be replaced on a near-annual basis, mainly due to wear and tear along with the material consequences of bullying. That a child can typically use the same rucksack for many years is a testimony to schoolyard decorum.

I... still have two to three of my school bags. Not in perfect nick in any cases but serviceable. The back strap has broken on one mind, but it just sits in the bottom of my wardrobe with software discs in it.

I have a Randsel, albeit on the small side.. https://goo.gl/photos/yn3prH9iGomMueEp6
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Watching this week Kobayashi-san episode, I was surprised to learn how much these "Randoseru" cost !!!

I remember price of one of those designer Randoseru at JPOP Summit last year and their price was about the same as the anime's.

I like the simple design of the randoseru with its rain flap though.

Quote:
As for it being expensive, I don't really mind that because its better than changing backpack all the time due to the usual stock being too delicate. Had been forced to purchased a bag for my little sister last Saturday because the old one got damaged, and that was bought last December.

Kid's backpacks nowadays are cheaply made thus wear and tear happen faster. Living in the US, backpack on sale at beginning of school year is a ripoff on its own as it only costs about $5 to make it in oversea and retailers are charging $30 to $60 for the backpack. Not to mention they're not even water-proof. For parents who buy their kid's backpack every year, it adds up to $180 to $360 in 6 years.

I guess it's not much different from Japanese parents who buy only one backpack for the same amount of time. However for anyone who is environmentally conscious, buying cheap backpack every year is a waste on its own.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Kid's backpacks nowadays are cheaply made thus wear and tear happen faster. Living in the US, backpack on sale at beginning of school year is a ripoff on its own as it only costs about $5 to make it in oversea and retailers are charging $30 to $60 for the backpack. Not to mention they're not even water-proof. For parents who buy their kid's backpack every year, it adds up to $180 to $360 in 6 years.

I guess it's not much different from Japanese parents who buy only one backpack for the same amount of time. However for anyone who is environmentally conscious, buying cheap backpack every year is a waste on its own.

Well, you also have the fact that a lot of these kid's backpacks in the United States are licensed, with pictures of SpongeBob or Elsa or Dora the Explorer or Freddy Fazbear or someone else. Kids get into these franchises, and they get into it heavily, and they'll just as quickly move on. A kid in 4th grade who really wants a backpack with, say, Optimus Prime on it could be ashamed to have it by the time 5th grade begins.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2