• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sengoku Basara: End of Judgement

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so Starmyu gets blu-ray but Sekaiichi Hatsukoi is dvd only? WTF Funimation??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lupica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Nice review James Smile

As a card-carrying member of the community of game fans and history buffs (literally, I'm in the series' official fan club) I was happy to see you taking such a balanced view of End of Judgement. It's been panned by many fans for not being a proper follow up to the gorgeous previous seasons so I think you (unintentionally) went in with exactly the right idea and treated it as a standalone show out to entertain as best it could. I love the combination of silliness and drama but understand many don't; it was therefore most pleasant to read a review by someone who kept such an open mind. I recommend the original anime (separate continuity to this one) if you want to try a little more in the 'like Sengoku Musou, but crazier' category.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Particularly, I'm a huge fan of Battle Spirits and Spider Riders.

Quote:
As for Spider Riders, I also purchased the R2s. (They never even finished releasing this show on R1, and it was dub-only). I even got the first season box signed by Yuu Asakawa.

I haven't seen that name in years. Whatever happened to Spider Riders anyway? It certainly was unique as far as kids shows went.

You're so lucky, I missed my chance to go to AX and meet her. I always wanted to ask her about her performance as Rondo in Eternal Sonata (especially since she voiced some of her battle lines in English).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone actually tell James that End of Judgement is the third Sengoku Basara anime? I'm actually surprised he was able to enjoy it without knowledge of the previous two seasons, but a lot of the character interactions -especially the bits with Date Masamune and Sanada Yukimura- must have been completely lost to him. I'd even say EoJ is the weakest entry to the Sengoku Basara franchise (maybe rivaled by the Last Party movie, which is basically a condensed version of this third season) and I'd reccomment if you enjoyed End of Judgement, going in blind, that you might get more fun from watching the other two seasons.
Lupica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
It's not the third Sengoku Basara anime though. It's a completely separate adaptation based on the game Sengoku Basara 3, whereas the old anime were based (incredibly loosely) on the previous games before having to make things up to coincide with SB3 due to deviating too much from canon. There are enough massive plot holes to drive a bus through if you take EoJ as a sequel of any kind to the previous adaptations. Dead characters are suddenly alive again. Relationships are all remixed. Entire factions have upped and vanished for no apparent reason, and everyone is using different moves.

I think watching them as separate projects is a far better experience.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Lupica wrote:
It's not the third Sengoku Basara anime though. It's a completely separate adaptation based on the game Sengoku Basara 3, whereas the old anime were based (incredibly loosely) on the previous games before having to make things up to coincide with SB3 due to deviating too much from canon. There are enough massive plot holes to drive a bus through if you take EoJ as a sequel of any kind to the previous adaptations. Dead characters are suddenly alive again. Relationships are all remixed. Entire factions have upped and vanished for no apparent reason, and everyone is using different moves.

I think watching them as separate projects is a far better experience.

I was going to ask about this. I loved the over-the-top fun of seasons 1 and 2 and even The Last Party, so I was wondering if it was worth it to check out this new incarnation.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Oh, so Starmyu gets blu-ray but Sekaiichi Hatsukoi is dvd only? WTF Funimation??

i'm more flabbergasted that their getting the sub only treatment while the free! series got an english dub. have a bad feeling that funi might be going down the same boat as ADV films cause this trend of sub only releases is the exact same thing adv and media blasters did after releasing lots of HYB (both sub and dub) versions over the years.

Quote:
We've seen a lot of Gundam titles come out on disc in the US in recent years, from the classics to the more obscure stuff.

unfortunately those have been massive hits and misses since most of them got the sub only treatment. while most of these are very very old, i can get that, but some of them should have been considered to receive a dub. turn a gundam is one primarly example. the same with Double Zeta ,victory and recongusita in g. but the worst treatment they did with the franchise is what they did to build fighters/try. giving it a sub only release was one thing, but to give it the CCS treatment and use the horrendous animax asia dub was downright lazyness if nothing else. i would rather have any series be given the sub only treatment than to have that series be plastered by its animax asia version which in is pretty much the eastern version of 4kids.

and speaking of which, dont even bother getting the dvd versions of YGO Arv V. considering that crunchyroll is streaming the series, its a chance that those episodes will have official subs so just watch it there instead of getting the 4kmedia/konami version which is just an offshoot of 4kids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
rizuchan wrote:

i'm more flabbergasted that their getting the sub only treatment while the free! series got an english dub.

There's absolutely no comparison between the popularity of Free! and that of Starmyu. Of course Free! got a dub. I'm surprised Starmyu got a release at all. Can hardly blame them for not throwing their money away dubbing it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
Interesting that at least some of Lisa's shelves are arranged by publisher; there's a definite shelf for Geneon, ADV, and Bandai, with some others being mixed.

rizuchan wrote:
Not that I know anything about the relative quality of these shows, but at first glance, I'd blame Kadokawa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1