• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Big Of A Deal Is Crunchyroll Reaching A Million Subscribers?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Quote:
As far as the Aniplex situation, you can argue either they HAVE a "monopoly" on their specific titles (no one else can sell them, thus they can set prices), I don't agree with that, but the argument COULD be made for any IP item. Or you can argue like you said, that they're offering more of a "premium" brand of an existing product, and thus charging a higher rate.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I've bought a number of Aniplex titles and they certainly are not offering a "premium" brand. I see nothing in their offerings that isn't present from other North American companies. Unless, you are considering the titles themselves to be the "premium", in which case you are going back to them having a monopoly on that title.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Unless, you are considering the titles themselves to be the "premium", in which case you are going back to them having a monopoly on that title.

By this logic ANY content producer has a "monopoly" on their content. You're not entirely wrong, but in the broader sense they don't because at the MACRO level consumers will move to another product if you overprice yours. The economic theory around monopolies is not intended to be parsed at the MICRO level of an individual brand or even moreso an individual CONSUMER. People having "brand loyalty" is not the same as a company having a monopoly. Likewise, me selling a single show does not give me control of the media market. Other people can entertain you with their own stories. If you would prefer to hear/watch/read MY stories, it means I've done a better job.

EDIT: tl;dr in SHORT, having a "monopoly" means you can control the MARKET, it is not really relevant to control of a single PRODUCT.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nobody else can even come close to getting that kind of revenue out of the international streaming market.

Not even Bilibili?
ew121

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="chronos02"][quote="mangamuscle"]
chronos02 wrote:

Plus, Spaniards do not like it one bit, it is often despised upon, and for a simple reason: only cheap soap operas have ever kept the latino dub when imported to Spain (also very old cartoons), which means, anything that uses latino spanish, spoken or written, will be sentenced by the public as a mediocre product, looked down upon, and most probably cast aside.

You could've saved the entire wall of text and put this instead.

The truth(and we all know it) is that Spaniards don't like Sudacas and think they are inferior, which includes their language. Simple as that.

The rest of your post is outright wrong because you're talking as if all Latin americans speak the same when they don't. Someone from Argentina will laugh at how Chileans speak and Chileans are RIGHT NEXT to Argentinians. In Colombia they use "usted" to talk to every person when usted is only used in formal situations or when talking to a teacher/older person everywhere else.

Mexicans sound especially weird to people in the south, and they're part of latin america too.

But to be fair, spaniard dubs/subs are seen as inferior in Latin America, of poor taste and inferior quality no matter the country, so it's not like it's a one-sides hate.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
^ I was also curious about this. I was wondering if he just forgot entirely about China, or if the numbers there weren't nearly as important as I remembered hearing. I heard the first episode of Twin Stars got 25 million views on Bilibili...

HeeroTX wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I'm with you on the majority of this argument, but I sit on the side that because of a publisher's sole ownership of a property in a specific territory, they have somewhat of a monopoly. I can still go outside of my region to get a legal copy of some of their products, which does help to mitigate that, but within the North American market, they do have a monopoly technically. No one else can sell those titles, like you said, so customers are entirely at their mercy as far as what price they want to sell it for and whether they want to release it at all.

True, but in the end this is a "brand" problem, rather than a fiscal "monopoly" issue. The recent EpiPen situation is more of a true MONOPOLY problem. They took over 90% of the market and then jacked up prices because "where else are you gonna go?" But any one anime title (or ALL anime really) is just one more form of entertainment. For comparison, if I want to see Beyonce in concert, it may cost several hundred dollars, or I can go see some indie band at the local club for $5 cover. Beyonce sets a higher price because she's built her "brand" and thus people will pay a premium for her variation. (let's take IP out for a moment, and people will still pay more to see a Beyonce concert rather than go to a "cover band" concert of the same music)

Technically, any IP owner has a "monopoly" on their IP, but its not really accurate because for that, the competitive market (in an economics sense) is not the individual product, but is instead the wider "media" market. I actually agree with an argument against perpetual IP, but purely from a "market theory" standpoint, I don't think it's fair to classify IP ownership as a true "monopoly" situation. In that sense it's no different from owning a house. If you really want my land, I can set a ridiculous price or not sell at all, but that's simply because I own it.

EDIT: While in the end it IS "all about the money" (because that's how the world works) "Intellectual Property" is not really about "property" it is about CONTROL. And the reason I don't think any one anime company will ever monopolize the "anime market" is because piracy assures they'll never really be able to have "control".

Okay, yeah, that makes sense. And is fair. They have a monopoly over a specific IP in some ways, but not over the market as a whole. The Beyonce comparison is helpful.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
@HeeroTX

OK, so Aniplex control over its titles is not a monopoly. However, call it what you want, if you want the show it is a distinction without a difference. If I want to own the Monogatari series I have to pay their price, deal in gray market disks from out side the country or do without. None of which is very appealing. With regard to those titles where they have taken back the license or never licensed and do not offer a home video release, the options are even more grim.

My primary point is that they are not offering a "premium" product unless you call the title the premium.

Piracy is not an option nor a form of competition, it is a crime.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

From the perspective of the company though, it DOES function as competition and is responsible for keeping prices down for the consumers.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

Possibly, possibly not. I'm sure most North American companies are aware that an X percentage price increase will result in Y percentage decrease in sales. They have to balance X against Y to see if they will make an increased profit. However, I doubt that they care whether the lost sales are due to piracy, a determination that the product isn't worth the price or inability to pay the increase price. A lost sale is a lost sale regardless.

I strongly suspect that the majority of people who currently pirate anime in North America are so anti-industry or dedicated to piracy that they wouldn't subscribe to Cruncyroll if it was only $1 a month or buy disks if they were $10 a cour. They always have an excuse. Of course there are some that are so clueless that they aren't aware they are watching a pirated source.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I strongly suspect that the majority of people who currently pirate anime in North America are so anti-industry or dedicated to piracy that they wouldn't subscribe to Cruncyroll if ...

I know for a fact that a holier than thou attitude only deters people from changing their habits.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

From the perspective of the company though, it DOES function as competition and is responsible for keeping prices down for the consumers.

It's only competition for a certain segment of population. There are still a lot of people that refuse to pirate shows, myself included. There is also a large chunk of the population that simply don't the technical know-how to use torrents, and those that avoid bootleg streaming sites over virus fears. Not to mention, a lot of us like the ease of using Hulu, CR, and other apps to stream to our TV. Pirate sites are more limited in their ability to compete with the ease that our current crop of streaming and On Demand services offer.

It's also impossible to gauge how much piracy contributes to keeping prices down, if it has any true affect at all. Aniplex has some very highly pirated shows, but seems to have not backed down from their higher price point. Sentai and Funimation have actually been releasing some fairly expensive collector's sets that actually cost more than the average release, though they do have a more niche audience.

CR, Funimation, Sentai, and the rest will never be able to fully compete with or destroy piracy. There will always be a segment of the consumer population that won't pay for their content, no matter the price point.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@leafy sea dragon

Possibly, possibly not. I'm sure most North American companies are aware that an X percentage price increase will result in Y percentage decrease in sales. They have to balance X against Y to see if they will make an increased profit. However, I doubt that they care whether the lost sales are due to piracy, a determination that the product isn't worth the price or inability to pay the increase price. A lost sale is a lost sale regardless.

I strongly suspect that the majority of people who currently pirate anime in North America are so anti-industry or dedicated to piracy that they wouldn't subscribe to Cruncyroll if it was only $1 a month or buy disks if they were $10 a cour. They always have an excuse. Of course there are some that are so clueless that they aren't aware they are watching a pirated source.

I do agree with the majority of what your saying here. However, I don't think the majority of the pirates are "anti-industry". There really are a large chunk of people that don't have the ability to pay the monthly fees, whether it be because of the cost or lack of a credit card, or even fear over online identity theft. As you yourself stated, a lot of people don't even realize they are streaming pirated content.

I do agree however, that there is a certain segment that won't pay, and do always have an excuse. I recently witnessed a "fan" come up with every excuse in the book for pirating BanG Dream, which is streaming on both Anime Network and CR. He refuses to pay for CR because of their "typo ridden subtitles", and refuses to pay for TAN because of their "hideous yellow subtitles". Of course, it was amusing when I learned the website he was streaming from was using a straight rip of the TAN stream, "hideous yellow subtitles" and all....lol
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the views among the anime fan community in the USA to Crunchyroll are mixed, but their decision to "go legit" in 2008--especially with the investment from TV Tokyo--proved to be a huge turning point in the availability of anime in the USA, especially by 2008 broadband Internet access became more and more available to consumers, which meant high-quality video streaming of anime.

Today, when you look at a chart of new shows from every 10-13 episode anime season starting in January, April, July, and October, you realize many of the shows are now available for subtitled simulcast here in the USA through Crunchyroll. As such, when Yuri on Ice became a cult hit in Japan, it was also appreciated by many fans here, too.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
CR, Funimation, Sentai, and the rest will never be able to fully compete with or destroy piracy. There will always be a segment of the consumer population that won't pay for their content, no matter the price point.

I think the sides we're taking boils down to what proportion of anime viewers are like that. Certainly, you believe fewer people do that than I do. I believe there are enough people like that to influence Crunchyroll's business decisions.

What I believe is that most people, when faced with a decision to make a purchase, or at least to consume something, will go towards the option in which the least amount of loss or the largest amount of gain, without any thought as to how the commodity they want to consume was obtained. To them, the piracy option is getting anime for free, and when something is free, that's really hard to top.

Essentially, they see Option A as free and with no ads (if they've found the right piracy site), and they see Option B as either paid or with ads, or both. It's that simple. It's no different than, say, if you're shopping for Coca-Cola, and you find Grocery Store A sells a 2-liter bottle for $1.99 and Grocery Store B sells a 2-liter bottle for $1.09. You probably don't think about if Grocery Store B obtained it differently. Coca-Cola is Coca-Cola. Same goes with options to view anime via Crunchyroll versus a pirating hub. I think most people don't care because they never think about how the anime is obtained, just that it's there and that one allows them to sacrifice less than the other.

For the record, I do not want to consume anime through illegal means, and it seems you don't either. That's good. But people who illeglaly consume anime that's widely available legitimately is still quite prevalent. (I have to switch between "Food Wars" and "Shokugeki no Soma" between people who want to converse with me about that series, depending on where they're getting it from, for instance. For every anime and manga series I get into, I have to familiarize myself with both the official terms and names and the fan-created terms and names because I know there'll always, ALWAYS, be at least one person I meet who's excited to chat but consumes it through fan translations.)

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
@dragonrider_cody The legitimate arguments that still exist for regularly pirating content are very limited in NA. You don't need a credit card to sign up for a free membership on Crunchyroll, you don't need any money for that either. And being afraid of identify theft is not a valid reason for that same reason. At this point, I think the majority of pirates here are anti-industry. They still will try to come up with reasons, like the outdated and irrational ones that you mentioned, but those are just half-hearted excuses. The real reason is simply that they don't want to do things legally or they've gotten into a bad habit and don't want to change.

mangamuscle wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
I strongly suspect that the majority of people who currently pirate anime in North America are so anti-industry or dedicated to piracy that they wouldn't subscribe to Cruncyroll if ...

I know for a fact that a holier than thou attitude only deters people from changing their habits.

What about that was holier than thou? He's just making a general statement about pirates having a typical thief mindset. You've lost this argument in many threads in the past man, you have no reasonable justification for your theft. Not having legal access is something we've already talked about too. We don't care about that.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
@dragonrider_cody The legitimate arguments that still exist for regularly pirating content are very limited in NA. You don't need a credit card to sign up for a free membership on Crunchyroll, you don't need any money for that either. And being afraid of identify theft is not a valid reason for that same reason. At this point, I think the majority of pirates here are anti-industry. They still will try to come up with reasons, like the outdated and irrational ones that you mentioned, but those are just half-hearted excuses. The real reason is simply that they don't want to do things legally or they've gotten into a bad habit and don't want to change.

I would argue there is a community aspect to them too. Most of the people I know who watch anime through fansubs started watching fansubs because of recommendations from their friends, and this holds true if they've just started watching anime less than a year ago or if they've been watching anime for decades. Since these sites can't promote themselves through normal means, their viewership has to be purely through word of mouth. And the latter are just sticking to what they know; to transition is too much trouble. I suppose that can fall under the "bad habit and don't want to change," but they themselves don't necessarily think it's a bad habit. (And in one case, someone I know was taught how to torrent and find illegal streaming sites by his parents.)

The community aspect also applies to watching these anime through these sites and chatting among each other about them. It's very easy to get ostracized if you are caught using official terms. I've been made to feel like an outcast from some One Piece discussions because I used "Seven Warlords" rather than "Shichibukai," for instance. (How fast can Crunchyroll's put out an anime after the Japanese airing anyway? Are they able to beat the speed-subbers?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9