• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Japanese High School Kids Really Hang Out On The Roof/Wear Inside Shoes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
garlogan78 wrote:
Yeah, at the school I work at the stairs going higher than the forth floor are blocked off, and there is a sign saying do not enter. I've never even seen the roof.

I can confirm this. My school is the same. Goes up to the 4th floor, but the stairs leading up to the next floor (the roof presumably) is blocked off with a desk and a sign that says not to enter. Only for emergencies like earthquakes/tsunamis. I've also never seen the roof.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Lol don't worry; All that shrine stuff you see in anime IS spot-on. I almost freaked when I saw a giant tree wrapped in rope and talismans just like it came straight out of Inuyasha. Anime hyper

Also

MCDONALD'S IS THE UNIVERSAL SCHOOL KID HANGOUT.

I'm serious. They were everywhere. Anime hyper Pretty much all the food-related stuff is accurate, as well as the vending machines.

Aside from Denny's, they even have restaurants like Outback Steak House which surprised me, actually.

At my school, there was a Wendy's (now it's a Dunkin Donuts) literally right in front of our school. It got mad business during lunch. Students were allowed to leave when I was in high school. I never did because I couldn't get back to class in time if I did (some students didn't care obviously). After they got a new principal after I left, one of the first changes was a steel gate around the campus. Presumably to keep students from sneaking out. But at my time, the kids overran that Wendys and a nearby submarine sandwich shop (not Subway).
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:58 am Reply with quote
So yeah. I work in a school in Kochi, and it's exactly how you described it. Roof is blocked off with a sign not to enter. I don't even see kids really going up there or trying to sneak up there. They could just as easily go to other unoccupied places of the school (there are many).

Uwabaki are also a thing, even for teachers. We all need to have indoor shoes and all have a locker. The teachers and students have a different Genkan, so I'm not sure if bullying actually happens (we have ones that don't lock). But I haven't seen any physical evidence of bullying. I don't think it happens as often as some people think. Of course that's just according to my school.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Only beings you see on our roofs are seagulls and pigeons.

This I can confirm. A flat roof on a secondary school tends to invite mischief of varying degree. Lockers, similarly, are a rarity deemed unnecessary and insecure by many. Indeed, for a locker to survive a school term without being breached is a matter beyond a schoolchild's immediate control.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
The question and answer about rooftops was pretty interesting. I'd just assumed that using rooftops was an efficient use of space in a country where it can be a premium. I did expect that they would be fenced off. It did bring to mind this story of a photographer that went around the world taking pictures of school playgrounds. One of them was of Shohei Elementary School, in Tokyo (different article about photographer) which does seem to have a rooftop playground. School's playground was constructed above six-floor classrooms with retractable roof that plays music when closed. School cost 7 billion yen or 60 million to build (Wired Magazine) After reading Answerman I do expect that this is an exception rather than norm.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
CandisWhite wrote:

I'm sure it varies by school but leaving school for lunch is not that radical of a thing to do.
What the heck; we were NEVER allowed to do that. O_____O

(I live in PA; that is absolutely unheard of.)

We were allowed to leave campus during lunch, but only if we were over 18. Very few did though, because we were in the middle of nowhere, and there weren't many convenient places to go in 30 minutes.

As far as my rural High School in the early 1980's seniors were allowed to go off campus for lunch, though it was frowned upon because they didn't want you missing class. And if you got caught getting back late it usually meant after school detention. It wasn't really worth it because you would have to run to get to a food joint, wolf down your food and run back to class (unfortunately food places were not directly across from my school). I think I did it once. As the town started to grow into a small city they stopped letting kids do that I'm sure because of legal concerns.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Most schools in here according to personal observation doesn't have anything like uwabaki, though some offered slippers to wore when you're going to the toilet. All students throughout primary and secondary school are issued to wear specific kind of shoes and aren't allowed to use anything else unless according to specific emergencies like your shoes getting wet, stolen, e.t.c. I don't think lockers existed at all in the schools here, as students must carry all their stuff back home, but I'm pretty sure most just stuffed their stuff in their assigned desk in the classroom for convenience. The roof back in my days aren't accessible at all as the stairs aren't connected to them, in fact, there's no huge opening up on the roof at all and I believed most of the school here are like that as well. Rate of suicide are probably pretty low here but I didn't bother checking. Committing suicide was never a "fad" here before and I'll intend on believing that it is the same until now. Concerning wearing your shoes at home, we don't do that at all and just leave them outside and gone barefoot indoor. It would be too inconvenient to wear shoes inside because the house would get dirty.
Mark-us

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
It's like the American stereotype of high schooler kids going out of campus to get food during lunch time. It doesn't actually happen all that much.

In Norway we do that all the time
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The color of the sole/toe stripe indicates what grade the student is in.

Thereby providing additional income to the manufacturers, as students have to buy a new one each year (or take a hand-me-down from a sibling). Sounds like the same sort of deal as the mandatory school book-bag.

Once upon a time Justin answered a question about dialogue in anime and said it was generally unrealistic and childish, but you can tell a lot from the social assumptions and phrases that get baked into show after show. I wonder if the rooftop scenes are a holdover from a time (60s-70s?) when the roofs were open.
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Mark-us wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
It's like the American stereotype of high schooler kids going out of campus to get food during lunch time. It doesn't actually happen all that much.

In Norway we do that all the time

In my school it was a senior privilege, along with a smoking lounge. (Showing my age there)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
bwcbwc wrote:
Quote:
The color of the sole/toe stripe indicates what grade the student is in.

Thereby providing additional income to the manufacturers, as students have to buy a new one each year (or take a hand-me-down from a sibling).
Not necessarily. Granted, I don't have any real life experience with this, but judging just by some of the anime I've seen the system is that what gets colour-coded in parts of uniforms (shoe stripes, sometimes also ribbons, neckties, gym clothes, etc.) is the year group, not the actual year. For instance, the class of 2020 gets assigned the colour green when they enter in 2017 as first-years, and it stays with them until they graduate, only to pass on to the class of 2023. That's how it apparently worked in K-On!! and Sound! Euphonium. Of course, it might not work like that in all schools in real life, but it seems like a realistic detail to me.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I believe Durarara!! made fun of this cliché. I'm trying to remember the earliest use of it. Maybe Kimagure Orange Road (1984), but it might have been in earlier. It's also the earliest I recall where people would literally fight Black Friday-style over deli sandwiches and melon bread at a food cart in the hallway.

Speaking of which, it seems Japanese schools either follow the old British style, where you eat lunch in the classroom, around the school grounds, and formerly at home or anywhere off the grounds until skipping became a problem, or the modern American style with a cafeteria, which was itself influenced by the French public school reforms in the late 1800s. I assume the former are older schools while the latter are newer, and the same situation in Japan is prevalent among many other European countries, too.

When I was in high school, the campus was recently rebuilt, and the cafeteria was still too small and a very uncomfortable place to eat lunch. As a result, we had a free lunch with some exceptions to where you could eat, although seldom enforced.

The same logic can be applied to school roofs in Japan. In the old days, schools had multi-purpose recreational areas on the roof, until more sports required more dedicated areas especially with clubs, teams, etc. As a result, these functions were removed over time.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
I believe Durarara!! made fun of this cliché. I'm trying to remember the earliest use of it. Maybe Kimagure Orange Road (1984), but it might have been in earlier. It's also the earliest I recall where people would literally fight Black Friday-style over deli sandwiches and melon bread at a food cart in the hallway.

Not to mention a classic 80's episode of Urusei Yatsura, where the faculty, students, and entire town are caught up in an epic one-day "fight for freedom" war to crack down on students eating lunch off-campus.
There has to be some basis in truth for it to be that saturated a school-anime cliche' trope.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
I went to school in a semi-rural area of Pennsylvania. Except for outdoor gym classes we weren't allowed out of the building until it was time to go home. However this was sort of a moot point since in the time allowed for lunch the only thing in walking distance were a few private homes. If you ran you might make it down to the crossroad community at the bottom of the hill, but there were no commercial shops there. The don't leave the building bit was to prevent smoking, but it just moved it into the restrooms.

The roof was your basic tar and gravel flat roof. It was accessed by a trap door and steel ladder bolted to the wall. This was in a locked closet. I only know of this since I worked one summer for a contractor installing an alarm system. We installed large speakers on the roof to announce to the world that the school had been broken into. I questioned the logic of this since there was no one in a half mile to hear them. My boss simply said he was installing what the school had paid for.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Every student gets a shoe locker at the entrance, and changes from their outdoor shoes to indoor ones when they enter the school.

That would be a nightmare traffic jam gridlock of children in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4