• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Japanese High School Kids Really Hang Out On The Roof/Wear Inside Shoes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:
So, no Nintendo Switch roof parties Sad

Anyway hah? I always thought Japanese schools double the roof as a picnic area for students and so they where designed to be a little more easy to clean then a normal roof. This was to save space or something. You always hear about how limited the space is in Japanese cities.

Well, for me, since I noticed Japanese schools tend to take the form of large buildings with several floors, I figured the roof was a way to be outside for reasons other than P.E.

Every school I went to was a group of smaller buildings with a large outdoor concrete area surrounding them in the way islands are surrounded by oceans, however, so it's hard for me to wrap my mind around the concept of being inside for school all day when it isn't P.E. For me, the time spent between periods, for recess, and for lunch was always outside.

Zalis116 wrote:
If only shoe lockers were actually, ya know, lockable. It'd take out a significant portion of the bullying we see in anime/manga, which often involves hiding, destroying, or tampering with a victim's school shoes or outside shoes.

Ah, that trope. I have always wondered why bullies in anime only go that far and not, say, just clean out some kid's locker. But maybe it's because I happened to be in middle school when Pokémon cards were first released. You could spot future sports rioters in the chaos that happened. (Suffice to say that even a combination lock did not help me with that problem.)

CandisWhite wrote:
I'm sure it varies by school but leaving school for lunch is not that radical of a thing to do.

I'm a Canadian and kids, both when I went to school and currently, are let to go off campus all of the time to buy things for lunch or eat elsewhere; You just have to make sure you're back in time for class: I went to a country school with a cafeteria, a snack bar, vending machines, and kids still walked down the road to the convenience store; Nowadays, I see droves of city kids out and about at lunchtime whenever I'm in town.

I would imagine that schools that have real problems with wild kids are the ones forbidding students to leave campus but I see this more as an outlier than the norm.

I went to such schools. My elementary, middle, and high schools were all like that. You were only allowed to leave campus if a teacher or a parent provided permission (and with the parents, they had to prove that the kid had a good reason to leave). Generally, the only reasons I recalled were if you were in a program with off-campus events (for example, my high school had a biology program involving weekly trips to the zoo), if there was an emergency, if you had an appointment with a doctor, or for field trips. Otherwise, all the doors leading out were locked, with the keys held either by security guards or by nearby faculty (all of whom had the ability to notify the police if things got really hairy, which only happened once when I was in high school--though my middle school had actual patrol cops).

It's because there was an enormous ditching problem throughout the whole district. Granted, the kids were smart. If they really just wanted to not go to school, all they did was arrive there, then walk out before the morning bell rang.

Chiibi wrote:
Also

MCDONALD'S IS THE UNIVERSAL SCHOOL KID HANGOUT.

I'm serious. They were everywhere. Anime hyper Pretty much all the food-related stuff is accurate, as well as the vending machines.

I can confirm that it is like that in Thailand as well, and add college students to that mix. McDonald's is where the cool kids would hang out. Well, the last time I went there. Word is that they've since expanded to Taco Bell, which recently gained a foothold there. Starbucks is not, however--those seem to be visited mainly by tourists, the Americanophiles, and those who went to America and missed their macchiatos and frappucinos.

Ninjajake12 wrote:
So yeah. I work in a school in Kochi, and it's exactly how you described it. Roof is blocked off with a sign not to enter. I don't even see kids really going up there or trying to sneak up there. They could just as easily go to other unoccupied places of the school (there are many).

Uwabaki are also a thing, even for teachers. We all need to have indoor shoes and all have a locker. The teachers and students have a different Genkan, so I'm not sure if bullying actually happens (we have ones that don't lock). But I haven't seen any physical evidence of bullying. I don't think it happens as often as some people think. Of course that's just according to my school.

If you're a teacher or faculty (and it looks like you are), the bullies will try their hardest to not let you see it happening because they know you can get them in trouble. Bullying also tends to be psychological, not physical. That way, they can victimize other students and make them feel too demoralized to tell an adult. (Some really skilled bullies can spin a situation to make an adult think the roles are reverse, to make them look like the victim and the victim look like the bully.) Only the most bold of bullies, or those who derive pleasure from their punishment, will act in front of adults knowing they're there.

At least, this is what I've learned, both of being a constant bullying victim and studying it later on.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Quote:
Every student gets a shoe locker at the entrance, and changes from their outdoor shoes to indoor ones when they enter the school.

That would be a nightmare traffic jam gridlock of children in the US.

It was already a nightmare jam gridlock without that at my schools. At my middle school, the one hallway, a straight line, was so crowded that I would sometimes lift my feet off the ground and I could get carried where I wanted to go by the current of surrounding students, moving my shoulders to steer, and no one even noticed. My high school had to run on a track system to hold all of its students.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Are there any real schools with gardens on the roof? There's at least two in anime (I'm sure there's a third in forgetting). And one of those has a rooftop suicide attempt.
ISTR a location hunting video taken partly on a school roof, I think for The Disappearance of Haruhi, where the roof was locked and had a disturbing lack of any sort of fence. One of the ads for the original Haruhi series was also done on a roof, this time with a fence (not a tall chain link fence as is common in anime, but similar to ones where they actually want someone to be able to climb over...), but I can't remember if it was at an actual school.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
In the article, Answerman wrote:
The practice of taking your shoes off at the lower step of an entranceway when you enter a building is called genkan, and is believed to go back over a thousand years.

To clarify: genkan (玄関) is the word for the entryway/entrance hall itself, and not the practice of taking off shoes upon entering a home. There is usually a step up from the genkan into the house proper, and the verb used for entering is therefore agaru (上がる), meaning (among other meanings) "to step up".

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
Well, here is a development worthy of stepping up, amongst other things! abunai, how the Devil are you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4