• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SukaSuka (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
I was not sure during the scene if it was something Chtholly was saying, or something said in the past, that he can see repeat relationships from before and that he is pretty scared of getting invested in such things again.

For me, I kind of liked Phyr, the lycanthrope girl. For recent comparison, the similarly animal like design character (I don't want to say furry) I could think of was in Re:Zero, of which I feel a little regretful that as good as it was the type of girl character was left to hitting Subaru for entering the wrong washroom. The show had more aesthetically typical animal people, but I don't think it gave proper dimension to these types, while this felt to give her some respect as a character. And I think of it along the lines that also wondering what level of affection it could be okay to such a younger girl if her life is almost certainly going to be short from being a soldier. Maybe I am sounding silly.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:52 am Reply with quote
Highlight of the episode for me was that chef that looked like smiley with limbs.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Highlight of the episode for me was that chef that looked like smiley with limbs.

I was thinking Pac-Man.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
New episode.

Aww, that ending. Smile
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
This show is so disappointing, because it should be a great show. And you can kind of see the "great show" parts through the cracks of the ham-fisted execution (e.g. anything with Willem as Dad is great).

But I get the feeling people thought the author was making up his twists as he went along, so he insisted that, for the anime, he prove that the twists were totally planned in advance. Everything, from the very first scene of the show, seems intended to indicate something is coming up in the future, and as a result, there just isn't enough effort spent on execution for the here and now.

There's a difference between foreshadowing and telegraphing. The twists in this show are telegraphed in the most awkward way. This episode ended with someone practically saying "sure, it seems like things worked out, but there's definitely a catch." The screen may as well have darkened and had text pop up reading "And they lived happily ever after... OR DID THEY?" Just like it was totally unnecessary for SkullGuy to tell BeardGuy "Gee, you sure hid the truth about those beasts, didn't you?"

I thought the whole point of a twist in a drama was to surprise the viewer by moving in a jarring direction. If the show insists on saying "Hey, viewer! Twist ahead!" it stops being much of a twist and starts moving towards being a mystery. But there's no clues to make a mystery work, and if you play that card too often, it can become almost comical (see Another or The Lost Village). No one looks at their tenth Twizzler and thinks "Wow, what a surprising shape!"

Sorry for the rant. I really, really want to like the show, and it has everything it needs to be great in the plot and character departments. But the insistence on constantly setting things up and never actually sitting down and working with what's been built up is just sapping the soul out of this show. It no longer matters what incredible twists are coming down the line, I just don't care enough to be shaken by them.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I highly enjoyed this episode. The show did a great job making the resurfacing memories look and feel very creepy, and showing us how it was effecting Chtholly. I would say that Chtholly's revival felt rushed though. She falls into a coma and after a few minutes of run time she wakes up. That's a bit too quick. Willem giving her another big ol' hug was still touching though.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I highly enjoyed this episode. The show did a great job making the resurfacing memories look and feel very creepy, and showing us how it was effecting Chtholly. I would say that Chtholly's revival felt rushed though. She falls into a coma and after a few minutes of run time she wakes up. That's a bit too quick. Willem giving her another big ol' hug was still touching though.

Agreed with all that. Loved how they BOTH cried this time. lol But we needed more build-up. It's likely the novel does a better job (and I plan to read that after the anime ends.)

The creepy child-like memories are giving me EVA flashbacks......that part is almost like a horror movie.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 am Reply with quote
I kind of wonder if it would have helped that there was more direction that Chtholly was at risk of mental degradation, the only time it was mentioned was I think in saying a risk of the procedure in becoming a fighter. I was sitting here thinking that she was intercepting memories of the beasts or something, and then we get told that it was a symptom of her degrading, and at least to me it became much more ominous with so little time.

Did not need the last scene white cape and black skull to think that there was more to the truth of the beasts. With the talk of powerful magic causing curses back onto the one who cast it, my current theory is that we will find that all of the beasts are actually his human allies of the past, who instead of being cursed with petrification got cursed with turning into monsters. That female friend of his in the past who was really strong, she will probably get revealed to be a dangerous beast that has killed many.

I do think there was some emotional impact though in the episode. The childlike voices at least used in Chtholly's past were also pretty effective.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I kind of wonder if it would have helped that there was more direction that Chtholly was at risk of mental degradation, the only time it was mentioned was I think in saying a risk of the procedure in becoming a fighter.

They didn't say it was a risk of the procedure, but rather just a general risk of the fairies. They were rather vague about it, and just said part of the procedure was to make sure the fairies were in good health, with that being one of the health risks they have.

Now admittedly, I could be biased because I first read that scene in the light novel, which did the scene there a bit differently, but I still thought that it was fairly obvious that this was something that was important, even in the anime. Though as you said, perhaps some more focus on it would have made it clearer from that start what was happening, and also lessened some of the complaints of episode 4 feeling like a "side story" to some.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
@ DP - your speculation over the origins of the 17 beasts is interesting and I can see it being true. This show does like it's "kick in the stomach" moments.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Cam0 wrote:

Agreed with all that. Loved how they BOTH cried this time. lol But we needed more build-up. It's likely the novel does a better job (and I plan to read that after the anime ends.)

The creepy child-like memories are giving me EVA flashbacks......that part is almost like a horror movie.

Elq's seiyuu is 9 yr old Okada Hikari ,I believe.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Now admittedly, I could be biased because I first read that scene in the light novel, which did the scene there a bit differently, but I still thought that it was fairly obvious that this was something that was important, even in the anime. Though as you said, perhaps some more focus on it would have made it clearer from that start what was happening, and also lessened some of the complaints of episode 4 feeling like a "side story" to some.

The author could have focused on the Willem&Kutori storyline,Tiat garnered more attention than the doctor's casual reveal.
But Mad as you know-LN stuff beware- spoiler[ Suwon's description of the girls is not the real truth,let alone the 17 Beasts.And he author left out the last chapter of volume 1 with it's important reveal.So now with six episodes to cover vol 3,the anime, the author has multiple characters and plot points to dump on viewers. Sigh I truly feel the anime followed the LN too closely.]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ DP - your speculation over the origins of the 17 beasts is interesting and I can see it being true. This show does like it's "kick in the stomach" moments.

OMG I would love if that was actually true. Anime hyper That would REALLY f**k Willhem up in all kinds of ways. I want to see it. *w*

...................wtf is wrong with me :'D
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
@Nordhammer

(Note, this post contains light novel "spoilers" in the sense I talk about pacing and how much has been adapted so far and how much remains, but no other details other than that.)

spoiler[It is incredibly weird what the anime is doing. If, like we both suspect, the anime ends it's 12 episode run at volume 3, that means essentially the first two novels will have been adapted as 3 episodes each, and now suddenly it's gonna do the third at 6 episodes. It baffles me that they wouldn't instead just do each novel 4 episodes each or something.

Also, there's a part of me that's afraid that instead they'll somehow try to cram the next 3 novels into 6 episodes: 2 episodes per novel. There's no way they'll be able to pull that off based on what I've seen so far.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
@Mad_Scientist

Boring what if the anime did such an such
spoiler[ At first I was worried the author would try and adapt all five. At this point I hope the author will finally adapt the narrative chapters. they've been skipping&breezing thru.Take Dusky's comments,they picked up on the Beasts first secret,imagine if the author had adapted chapter 5 vol 1 and it's reveal.
Then there is Leila who has almost no scene time,the author could be planning on using an episode to truly introduce her,Almaria and may be Emissa.
]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7