• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:CREATORS (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
One short comment:

I love how Alicetelia's flying horse sounds like a motorcycle. I guess she's got a one horsepower flying vespa. Cool

Now the long comment:

I also really liked how most of the episode was largely devoted to efforts that might seem futile at first glance, but with deeper inspection were actually productive, albeit indirectly so. For example, the conversation with the thuggy guy almost turned into another conflict, but both he and the main band did learn some things from each other (even though he held what he learned a bit close to his chest), and he was honest about hsi intentions as someone not opposed to the main group and unclear about how he felt about Gunpuku no Himegimi. As for the rest of what was going on, even though revising the character didn't work, they did learn quite a bit about the way things really are.

Even though the episode had a lot of talking and philosophizing, I don't think you can call it an infodump because a lot of what's being discussed is likely incorrect. So it's more about showing the characterization of the people thinking about these issues than just telling you The Way Things Are.

That's actually the main reason I'm liking this so much. The characterization is really great because you can actually get a sense of how their minds work. They’re being put into situations where they have to make difficult decisions (and I don’t mean just difficult as in ‘high stake’: I mean it in the sense of it being really complex and take a lot of computing power to come to the decision), figure things out, or talk about their philosophies. These are the kind of things that would show their uniqueness as individuals. You see, to be able to see into a character's head, you wouldn’t have to directly show their thoughts, but only show them doing things that are complex/unique/interesting enough that their behavior differentiates their identities.

I also like how it shows what the process of figuring things out is really like. The first thing you think of won't work. The second thing you think of, that you think solves the problems of the first idea won't work either. You're going to keep learning that you're kinda wrong about a lot of things, but eventually reality will challenge your bad assumptions enough and you'll come through with something that works. I'd be willing to bet that the current front-runner idea that the characters' properties are being determined by the fan consensus of them is at best incomplete.

Also, it looks to me like which characters are manifesting aren't really just based on collective fame and impact on people; rather it seems like they're all from things that the MC kid specifically knows about (which could be a bit of a clue as to why he's at the center of events). For example, Meteora's game doesn't appear to be famous; it seems like just some random-ass RPG.

It's good for the sake of the created that they have an independent and autonomous existence, since it would be kind of creepy if Silesia's author could change her entire personality at will. That could easily lead to some unfortunate consequences, like what happened with the demon girl in Overlord.

Unfortunately, the show had what I consider to be its first misstep: It is definitely forgivable, however. It's a little strange that the version of Silesia that exists isn't from the most up to date point in time in the story that the author has written. I guess it's that this Silesia comes from the anime, since Souta was watching the anime when he went into the other world. I did lol at the scene where Silesia gets Spoilers about her own reality. Her reaction to it seemed pretty off though: specifically, her refusal to read into her 'future'. I really don't see anyone not wanting to know, especially someone with her personality. In addition, since she's come to our world, she's already gone 'off-script' from the story that she's in, so even if she were to return events would probably not play out in the same way as they would if she did not have those experiences. If Silesia read the book, she might be even better equipped to deal with her friend's treachery and maybe prevent the death of this Nics person. And she says she's going to 'pretend she didn't hear it'?! How could you possibly do that? Suppose Silesia goes back to her world. Could she really just keep up her friendship with Hylda as if nothing was wrong? There's no way that's going to work when she knows the truth; the cat's out of the bag already. And besides, how could knowing Hylda is going to betray you be worse than not knowing. It's going to happen either way. Not thinking about it won't make it go away.

So, if you learned that there existed a book that told your life story, including the parts that haven't happened yet, under what circumstances would you not want to read it? My first thought would be that it might depend on whether you can change the outcomes or if they're fixed. If you can change things, then of course I'd read it so I could do better than I could without foreknowledge. But then again if you can't change anything, it doesn't make any difference whether you read it or not so why not?

Actually, thinking about this, Silesia's refusal to read the book could be considered as weak evidence for the other worlds existing somewhat independently of the creators. (as in to some extent the creators' storeis are information of events happening in other universes and not caused by the creator's will, (at least not completely) as was hypothesized by Metoera. Bear with me for a second: (note that I consider all of this to be highly speculative and very likely wrong)

This also relies on the assumption that the way Time works, you can't change the future, so... people just find that reality happens to be self-consistent despite the fact that they can receive information from their own future the way Silesia did. That is, the future takes into account the fact that people would be acting in full knowledge of things that haven't happened yet from their perspective. That leads to some weird cyclic causality stuff, which is kind of interesting.

So it may be that the reason Silesia refused to read the book is that it's the simplest way for the universe to ensure self-consistency. A Silesia that's friends with Traitor Hilda will only act consistently if she doesn't know about the betrayal, so the only consistent Silesia is going to be the type of person who would refuse to read the book when exposed to it.

So that would also mean in the past the author wrote those parts that just so happened to be based on changes in Silesia's character that happened in his own future due to direct contact with her and the events here... like I said it gets a little weird. The main point is that if the future is set like that, and what the author writes indirectly relies on things in his own future like Silesia coming to Earth, he can't really be said to be personally 'creating' Silesia's universe, can he?

I personally think it's much more likely that Silesia could change her future if she were to return, since the majority of the show's theme so far has pointed the other way (it's largely been about the characters being a lot more than the archetypes they're based on, so I don't think it would make sense thematically if they couldn't learn anything meaningful from their experiences.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
There could be a few reasons, like she really is not a fan of the idea that her world's existence is a piece of entertainment, that she is worried from disappointment that the complexity of events could boil down to a couple pages written at the level of a light novel. What if she read something that she should be able to do, but because she was cocky that she would succeed she actually fails?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
MP is indeed earnest about her efforts for a revolution in the realm of the gods, otherwise the Knight Templar attitude Alice would not have been convinced to follow a blatant call to war under circumstances than even MP does not completely understand.

While clearly childish and moe to the extreme, Mamika might clearly is disturbed at MP's prospects of hurting and possibly killing people but it may be that her goal is to try to reach to MP at some point in the future and show a better way if she finds one in time.

Meteora's revelation is like someone that was doubting their own faith and was renewed with it after reading some holy scriptures.
Meteora's future fears are understandable in that if creations keep popping into existence ad nausea, eventually the world WILL collapse in one form or another and her hypotheses is a "reset" after a cataclysm but that in itself is only an assumption.

And a side comment, most the characters so far look decent in civy clothes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

It actually looks like Mamika may start to bend as she seemed to kind of get joy from finding products of her series and herself. That along with not wanting to hurt anyone and perhaps finding out that she and her show are a hero and inspiration to a younger audience. Although one would wonder what if she found out about the likely other fandom.

It did feel like a very talky episode, and somewhat interesting that a lot of it seemed to be single conversations over images of longer time and interactions. It has actually been something that has bothered me before that in fiction everyone always seems to convey everything in single conversations that together fit into the length of the narrative. While you can account for how you would normally have a very lengthy time where the important bits can be spread out, which is what I kind of felt like this episode was doing. We the audience would probably want her to go through her existential crisis, explaining her previous thoughts, observations, and theories at a reasonable episode length while they had like a day doing it. There was just something I kind of liked that while they were talking about something important we saw the two girls and our main character seeming to chat about something less important, and or a quick divergence on pizza.

There was a lot to unpack, but it really boiled down to that these characters do not belong by the rules of our world, and that the more things from them could eventually snap past the rules and just break the entire thing. Military uniform princess seems to be under the angst of her creator who hated the world after whatever brought her to suicide to just break it. One would think that especially an unrealistic giant robot could be especially dangerous for the rules of reality, like trying to figure out advanced technology from it, but that technology should only exist and work inside another reality.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Characters can't die, as long as people remember their stories... So basically this is "Fables" gone anime. Given that revelation, what is hat girl's engdame?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
Idk how accurate Meteora's hypothesis really is but one thing I do agree with her is that the military princess' creator is definitely someone that created her on Earth. Or in other words, that could be her home world. (At this moment, I'm guessing it's Sota since she seems to know him)

Somehow, I also wonder if Meteora's creator really died by a car accident. I mean, that just sounds somewhat fishy.

From this episode, there's only one other fictional character that hasn't been introduced yet from a creator's world.

Also, I guess this episode splits some characters on one side and the other side against each other. MUP, the old guy, and possibly Alisteria(?) in the future could be working together. Selestia and Meteoria so far are allies along with Sota and their creators. Yuya is probably the neutral guy as he probably just does what he wants (will probably work against MUP though). Not sure yet on the mecha guy introduced yet, Mamika (I think she's probably going to be a close ally of Alisteria) and we don't have any info on the weird looking girl (visual from OP song, key visual, etc) at the moment.

Or maybe the new promotional key visual shows who are fighting on what side.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
An interesting contrast that has been established is that Meteora clearly is methodical and attempts to take every situation in a pragmatic fashion, an intentional contrast to MP who acts completely based on her blatant passion who while contextually the "villain" has actions that are ruled by her heart which makes even more sense why the "all loving kid heroine" Mamika would still follow MP even though her current path will likely lead to suffering and possibly death.

MP is clearly more grandiose in fashion than Meteora, and seems to be taking more "trial and error" approach where Meteora examines and reflects.
However, the benefit of trial and error is that MP can now seemingly instigate more Creations into the world, obviously Meteora would personality would not dabble in such reckless experimentation, MP's abrasiveness can reap results from time to time.

While Celesia might be the "cover girl heroine" as far as the audience is concerned, it is made very clear this episode that Meteora is the effective leader of the group.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I like how Mecha pilot Rui goes full on cliché and pointed out as annoying to deal with in ways like going from meek to shouting that he will never get in the mech again. I wonder who that might be like? Razz

Also, the supposed most level headed Meteora rang up quite the bill by acting hastily, not understanding the cost of things she stole and damage. It was funny as she was having it recounted and she tries to have it excused, before finding that she could only apologise. I imagine that they have a debt to pay in help. Kind of nice that by acting civilly and talking it out they were able to get some acknowledgement by the government instead of acting the lone warriors, getting human rights acknowledged too.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
(originally posted in another thread, but I decided to move it here. Sorry for the repost)

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm hoping at some point we get a few anime spinoffs from Re:Creators, like maybe an actual Elemental Symphony of Vogelchevalier series. And you just know that's already in the back of the minds of the actual series creators; it wouldn't surprise me if some of the Created began as separate independent proposals that never quite came together.

Also... I keep getting the feeling that 22 episodes won't be enough to fully explore this concept, so it also wouldn't surprise me if the current series turns out to be just Season One. But of course, that would depend on how well its being received in Japan.

Finally, I'll drop my marker right here: Before this series is finished, I'm betting we'll be seeing some characters we're already familiar with make some quick cameos, maybe during the story climax. I can see something like Rui Kanoya getting into a mech fight with Slaine (Aldnoah Zero), or a Blitz Tokar vs. Revy (Black Lagoon) gun fight. Something blink-and-you'll-miss-it, but I can't imagine Re:Creator's creators will let this opportunity go by without slipping in at least a few of their previous creations. Because in a way, that sort of the fun of Re:Creators.

Stark700 wrote:
Or maybe the new promotional key visual shows who are fighting on what side.

I think that's likely. That visual clearly has several of the characters we already know to be "allied" with one another grouped together on one side or the other (Selestia-Meteora-Rui-Yuya on the left, Alicetelia-Mamika-Blitz-Magane on the right, with MUP and Sota between them). From what we've seen of the characters thus far, that does indeed appear to be how the alliances are shaping up, tho Magane has yet to show up so I suppose she (?) could yet be a wild card.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Sota decides to pick up a shame inducing idiot ball as he is unable to confess his direct involvement with the creation of MP.

Was he embarrassed that his waifu crush might get jelly cause he is already Creator of another girl?
Jokes aside, there is almost no reason for him not to reveal this pretty important fact already as it isn't like HE is the one intentionally summoning in the Creations.

As for our new serial killer girl, like the rest of the Creations she is a variant of a "dark killer" character and the show makes it clear she has zero remorse for killing random people.

I still haven't pegged down what kind of character Blitz Talker is, but just as well it makes sense for a "gruff old man" that is pragmatic about killing opponents to be popular, I am going out on a limb and comparing him to say a Golgo 13 that finally is in his older years and the situations in his story became "a few minutes into the future" so they tossed him more Bond like gadgets which would include a watch that could make him fly (its anime, don't think deep about it).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:12 am Reply with quote
I already picked out beforehand that serial killer girl was probably from such a world, a bit on the edge of whether she was a eccentric detective that just looks like a villain, or the more likely that she was the villain. If the nickname that seems fitting for her anything to go for, she is most certainly the villain, and not the type of character that should be running around, the type to enjoy slaughter. Going to sound horrible, but I kind of like her character, there is just something about the perpetually smiling psychopath villain that seem to by their nature break the rules, her strength seeming to come from twisting the words of others.

It created an interesting element that Alisteria sees the answer to kill her straight away, something that might even be a good idea because there is little chance that the girl will be redeemable. But we also have Mamika, who I think in the spite of being overly naïve and in a typical magical girl way of wanting to face her friends afterwards, but there felt like there was a bit of a depth of trying to not fight and prevent people from really getting hurt (killed) that shows a validity that the magical genre kind of has. It might be shallow to some degree, but there are good messages and empathy. Hearing the world Alisteria comes from does sound really sad, way to go for making an audience perhaps feel guilty for watching shows that have horrible things.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
That new girl is sinister for sure. I'm not even surprised as just judging by her appearance, she gives off the impression of a villian type. I'm curious to see which side she'll fight on though as right now, it feels like she's on her own side.

That being said, I kinda feel bad for Selestia right now. In almost every fight she's been in so far, she's been on the receiving end of an ass kicking. Hopefully the show won't make her look weak.

Mamika's case is more of a neutral type to me as she just wants the bloodshed and fighting to stop so I guess she'll take on the least violent side. (although I predict that she'll stick e a close ally with the lancer girl)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 random thoughts

At last, some action. The last few episodes have been heavy on the talking, light on the action. While I'm not adverse to long stretches of set-up episodes, I do think pushing it any further than Re:Creators has done to date would ultimately have turned off the audience.

I'll join the chorus in that Sota's decision to hide his involvement in MUP's creation is a stupid move on his part. But I suspect part of his motivation is that he perhaps feels some responsibility for Shimazaki;s suicide, perhaps even feels he's the root cause of it, and thus doesn't want to be shamed in front of his new-found friends. But he's got to know its going to come out eventually; his name will certainly pop up once MUP is identified, and he'll be in even bigger trouble when everyone finds out he's been hiding semi-critical information.

We're still not entirely sure of the circumstances surrounding the suicide, and it could be Sota participated in some online disagreement that got out of hand (as online discussions are sometimes want to do; which would also play into Re:Creator's theme of deconstructing fiction and its fandom) is what caused the suicide in the first place. As a corollary to this, MUP's main motivation may simply be to exact revenge on a world that could be so callous as to basically hound an innocent young girl to death over something as trivial as a piece of "fiction".

Re: Selesia vs. Alicetelia
You just know, in some dark corner of the internet in Re:Creator's world (probably its equivalent of 4Chan), some fans are having one of those "who would beat who" debates over a hypothetical fight between Selesia and Alicetelia. You wonder what their reaction would be if they found out it was actually happening.

Re: Magane Chikujoin
She's definitely an evil loose cannon, but I suspect she'll wind up gravitating more towards MUP's side in the same general way Yuya Mirokuji appears to be heading towards Meteora's side. The fact that she killed an innocent shopkeeper just to get a book pretty much indicates she's probably irredeemable. In fact, judging by the things she says to Alicetelia, I'm guessing she's pretty close to being in the "wants to watch the world burn" category. Thus, I expect she won't last the whole series. I'm guessing her fate will be to die at the hands of someone unexpected, perhaps Mamika.

Re: Mamika
In speaking of the resident magical girl, she shows signs this week that she might be the one character on MUP's side to see the light and switch allegiances, though the fact that she looks up to Alicetelia will probably keep her at that princess's side for some time to come. Still, I can't imagine she'd willingly sit well on the same side as the likes of Bltz Tokar and Magane Chikujoin, so either at some point she goes over to the other side or her naivete gets her killed. My hope is the former, though the latter is well within the realm of possibility. In any case, Mamika trying to stay true to her Magical Girl ideals in the face of these circumstances appears to be her overall conflict; I suspect she will be a very different person by series end.

Rating: 4.5/5
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Altair....interesting name for the Military Uniform Princess.

I still wonder what side Mamika plans to fight on after her talk with Sota. Either way, I think the buildup this week was somewhat interesting although I'm really curious to see what that Magane girl will do next. She is so unpredictable and in fact, one of the most dangerous characters so far (perhaps only behind Altair herself).

I also wonder how Souta came up with the conclusion that Altair hates the world they are in right now.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 Random Thoughts

Re: Mamika
It turns out Mamika is not dumb. She clearly understands where this all might be heading, and she's not at all comfortable with it. And the fact that she's willing to face even her "friends" when she thinks they are getting out of line speaks well for her. She's remaining true to her mahou shoujo roots, and trying to make sense out of a situation she's clearly unprepared for. That comment she makes about "changing"? I'd say that's simply called growing up; in the ordinary world it would be natural, but remember in Mamika's world she's basically frozen as a child with limited chances of maturing, owing in large part to the fact that she's a popular children's character and is therefore expected to always be a child in that particular franchise. That restraint is now off, and the more this drags on, the less likely she can return to her world with the same child-like innocence.

Re: Chikujoin
Damn, evil girl. You done killed your creator. In a particularly brutal way, too. In theory this should mean that, if she ever returns to her universe, she would be free to do whatever she wanted to the erstwhile "good guys" of her story, since presumably her creator had always planned for them to triumph and not her. So from her point of view, killing her creator gives her a much better chance of "winning" than letting him live would. Sucks to be him.

Re: Alicetelia
I'm wondering if Alicetelia has also killed her creator. We still don't know his fate, but judging by her desire for "justice" I wouldn't put it past her to come to the same conclusion as Chikujoin and decide her world's best chance for a better future is to kill the source of its misery, ie. the creator of Alicetelia of the Scarlet.

Sucks to be a fan of Alicetelia of the Scarlet, though. I don't expect there will ever be a closure for that series now.

Re: Blitz Talker
I think he's not so much evil as simply pragmatic. MUP in his estimation offers him the best chance of returning to his universe; the moment that doesn't become the case, he probably won't hesitate to switch sides.

Re: Yuya & Rui
Yeah, those two having a bromance moment was among the highlight of the episode. I expect to see them at some point sitting in front of a TV with game controllers and playing Lockout Ward Underground -Dark Night together (and with Yuya providing off-color commentary on what was "really" going on at that moment). I hope that continues.

Re: Overall direction of series
I like where this series is heading. The characters are not quite going where you expect them to be going, and there have been some genuine surprises as events have unfolded (Mamika's intercession in the fight being the most prominent so far). With the exception of Chikujoin and possibly Altair, none of the characters are outright evil and many have understandable reasons for what they're doing. And the fact that most of the characters not only have a brain but actually seem to be using them is downright refreshing. My only gripe is that I think Sota's reluctance to tell others about his connection to MUP is starting to grate on me; its a major failing for the character, and I think its gotten past the point where any reasonable person would have opened up by now, no matter how much shame or fear the admission would generate. But it looks like now its a moot point, as this episode makes clear the beans are about to be spilled. I expect we'll get the full story next episode.

Best thing about this series? Its an original creation, so we literally have no idea where its going. And for a show as complex as this one is turning out to be, that's really, really refreshing.

Rating: 4.5/5
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9