• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:CREATORS (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:56 am Reply with quote
The new OP is freaking AWESOME! Since the first OP was so great, I didn't think the second one would be able to top it, but it did!

I think the other mecha is Charon's mecha.

I also bet that there's more to that schoolgirl than meets the eye; If she didn't have any magical abilities or whatever, what use would she be to Altair to bring to Earth? Or does this mean that creations are coming in by themselves now, without Altair's summoning, like the curtains between worlds are fraying due to Altair's meddling.

I really liked this new episode. The creators thinking/arguing about how to make the crossover was cool, as was the part where Marine feels down about not being able to match Shunma Suruga's speed and aptitude at draughtsmanship. That touched on something that seems very true to me, that even among professionals (in many fields, not just at art by the way), there can be very large differences in people's abilities. It's an odd thing to dedicate your life to something and to know there are other people who completely outclass you. Now I think Marine is selling herself short a bit but the idea still stands.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:32 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I also bet that there's more to that schoolgirl than meets the eye; If she didn't have any magical abilities or whatever, what use would she be to Altair to bring to Earth? Or does this mean that creations are coming in by themselves now, without Altair's summoning, like the curtains between worlds are fraying due to Altair's meddling.

Well she seems to have found a lost child and dog, so right now I am thinking that perhaps her affect is more passive, like she draws people in need to her, or something else common to the plot of her series.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14 Random Thoughts

Re: New OP
I think I still prefer the song of the first opening, but the visuals in this new opening are stunning. What’s more, it humanizes Altair a little, and even makes you feel a little sorry for her. We also get another glimpse of Selesia’s mech from her series, and it reminds me a lot of the old Five Star Stories manga & movie. Does anyone know if Mamoru Nagano is the mech designer, because it sure feels like his work.

Re: The Plan
My biggest gripe about their plan is that I find it implausible that such a large group of people like those depicted could keep its real nature a secret for any length of time. Not only would someone talk, it would probably be front page news within days. I mean, this is a government-backed operation with the fate of the world at stake. And they’re leaving it up to a bunch of anime characters to resolve? Backed by what is in essence a huge mega-crossover media event? I just find it extremely unlikely that such motivations could be kept under wraps for any length of time.

Possible problem to watch out for: Altair already has a fairly decent fan following among the fans of her video, as evidenced by the number of fan videos made subsequent to Setsuna’s. Won’t they object when it becomes obvious that she’s the villain of this upcoming crossover? Wouldn’t a significant percentage of the viewership be rooting for her and not the heroes?

I just about died laughing when Kikuchihara instructed the animators “I am ordering you to die!”. Yeah, that’ll go over real well with creative types. Still, she seems to be the right person for this job, tough and no-nonsense. Tho I’ll bet she also has a few anime-loving toddlers are home.

You just know that most of the faces in that room are actually the series animators and all their friends. Ditto that animation company. And I’m expecting we’ll see unnamed cameos of the likes of Hideaki Anno or Makoto Shinkai at some point. Kikuchihara will make sure everyone she can lay her hands one will be “persuaded” to lend their talents.

At times this episode felt like an episode of Shirobako, but in a good way. The debates and give-and-take between the creators was about what I’d expect. Marine’s admission that she doesn’t consider herself very good (even tho we all know she really is) rings very true to most of the creative types I know; you’re your own worst critic, and that can sometimes blind you to how good your talents are. If Re:Creators has a recurring theme, I think its something along the lines of never giving up and not ever letting yourself get discouraged from what you love doing.

And for some reason, Shunma Suruga has grown on me to become my second favorite of the pro creators, behind Matsubara. She has a very practical attitude not only towards her profession but the situation she now finds herself in.

Re: Sota’s plan
I think Sota’s idea is to introduce Setsuna Shimazaki as a character in their crossover extravaganza. In effect, “re-creating” her as an anime. They could even put it in the story that she’s the resurrection of the real Setsuna, and it would in effect be true. From the new opening and ending credits, it seems clear that Altair loved her creator, and what better way to counter Altair’s plan than to have it opposed by Setsuna herself? Not to mention the poetic justice of Setsuna being resurrected for real as part of the genres she loved?

Re: The New Girl
Anyone know her name yet? As everyone else has pointed out, she seems to be from some romcom source. If the OP is any indication, probably the klutzy type who accidentally makes mistakes that are always (hilariously) spiraling out of control. If so she seems woefully underpowered for a typical Re:C fight, but perhaps her presence comes with some mystical abilities (probability-bending?) that could come in handy.

Re: The Other Newbie
My bet is that he’s Syo, Yuya’s rival in Lockout Ward Underground -Dark Night. If so I note that the guy introduced at the end of Episode #12 does not appear to be in the new opening credits. Since he’s almost certainly Charon, I’m guessing that reveal won’t happen until almost the end of the series at the climactic battle.

Re: Meteora’s love life
Is it me, or are they toying with the idea of a Meteora x Yuya ‘ship?

Re: Kanoya’s love life
Looks to me like Kanoya has found a girl friend.

Re: New ED
Damn, that’s cute. I think I’m going to have to watch that ending frame-by-frame, just to catch all the little jokes. And the moment with chibi-Altair looking down at a production cel of Setsuna is actually strangely poignant.

Re: Going Forward
I think they’re going to eventually turn Altair around, but at the critical moment Magane is going to seize the reigns and Altair will end up siding with the others to stop her. That seems to me to be the most optimal ending, though I will not rule out at least one of the heroes perishing to save the world. In the pool table sequence of Ep. 13, Selesia’s ball is the closest to one of the pockets (previously, Mamika’s ball can be seen disappearing into another pocket), so I suspect she may end up being the series sacrificial lamb.

Rating: 4.5/5

ADDENDUM:
A couple of places are naming the new girl as Hikayu Hoshikawa.

Last edited by DeTroyes on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:

I don't know, but I did laugh when she looked annoyed and told him to stop calling her Metchin. Which was from the possible peek behind the curtain of the recap episode where Meteora seemed to respond by calling him "Grasshopper Glasses", which I will continue to think she is doing internally.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
DeTroyes wrote:

I don't know, but I did laugh when she looked annoyed and told him to stop calling her Metchin. Which was from the possible peek behind the curtain of the recap episode where Meteora seemed to respond by calling him "Grasshopper Glasses", which I will continue to think she is doing internally.

I thought that was just a call back to the recap ep. as well, but between that and later on when they're together searching for the new Created, my daughter raised the question, so I thought I'd throw it out. And yes, I'm pretty sure everyone watching the "Metchin" sequence had the same thought.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Preview for Episode #15 has been posted. It looks like we'll be seeing more of New Girl (elsewhere identified as "Hikayu Hoshikawa") and meet her creator, who appears to be a complete perv (he shows up briefly in the new credits, and reminds me a lot of Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel).

Also, Magane appears in the near-buff; the stuff of both dreams and nightmares?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15:

Not going to lie, I don't like the new girl (Hikayu) much. Her creator is even worse. I just hope they give her a relevant role in the upcoming episodes soon.

It'll be interesting to see Sho clash with Yuuya. The question is how Yuuya can fight on par with that guy without his powers?

About time we find out more about Blitz. He's one of the most mysterious characters in this series still. I'm still not sure what Magane might do next, the girl is just too unpredictable at the moment. Regarding Altair, it's obvious she's getting stronger as well. I actually find her character relationship with Blitz to be kinda unique so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I have this feeling that Blitz is using Altair as a surrogate to his daughter. And this is one of the minor issues I have with Re:Creators: Actual context of the stories the Creations are from.
While we can make general guesses based on the genres of the stories, the bit of spoiler[Blitz killing/destroying the remains of his daughter] was a little surprising and is probably his desire to have revised. But I'm also wondering if Blitz met with his Creator before she was brought into custody. I just have this feeling she's gonna be a twist in how things are gonna play out.

Now as to Hikayu...
What we got, I would figure, is a early-game version of this character, irritants and all. And having her whole world-view turned upside down probably doesn't help.
Then add her, very intentional designed, Creator, you know it wasn't gonna end well. And one thing to that: spoiler[Kikuchihara is really scary when she's angry...]
Let's just hope her Creator's idea isn't to turn her into a Magical Girl, please...

I'm not surprised Altair knows about the plan. I just think she might discover that fandom is a quirky thing as her eventual plans fall apart.

And one last thing...
We know Charon has crossed over. We know, from the OP & EP Selesia gets her Mech back. Why do I have this odd feeling spoiler[Charon is her Mech]? I have no specific evidence of this, but from bits of the show so far, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Just a odd thought.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
It makes sense that it is Alice being the one to ask Magane to "spin the wheel of fate" in regards to Magane's influence for good or ill.
Our heroes certainly wouldn't try something so risky such as included a serial killer who murders on a whim without any real forethought as part of the plan against Altair.

Hikaya as a character concept is in fact the most logical in inclusion, as with many of the other character archetypes an "H-character becoming more popular with the masses after an all ages version coming out" is a common story.
The problem in the situation is that it is the target demographic lead girl instead of the imouto side character which gets her own spin off magical girl series that has heavy tones if not outright explicit Yuri.

Blitz Talker is confirmed Altair's biggest devotee, and the only thing Altair asks is for Blitz is effectively to not be swayed by the changing scenario.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
It does seem pretty clear that the real reason Blitz is on Altair's side is because he sympathises with her as a sort of replacement to his daughter, that you could imagine he be upset at the land of creators for happening. That makes me wonder if he comes face to face with his creator, how they might talk things out. How can she justify what happened to him with his daughter?

As for new girl, Hikaya. Oh the embarrassment that she has entered a world where she feels many people are aware of her private moments , whether she is the H version or not, but her meeting her creator could be sympathised as pretty horrible. As for her usefulness, I think that we might actually end up in a state she should not just be counted out. They were thinking that they could not just give her powers and have it accepted, but in the scheme of things I think that could actually be underestimating her character type. People don't have an interest in those characters necessarily because they have a very set rule of power levels, I imagine they might even be able to do some weird twist where suddenly she becomes a magical girl and fights evil, and with knowledge of permission from the original creator it might actually be accepted by fans.

To further talk about her creator, I recognise his voice as the same one as Kazuma from Konosuba, a character fairly tied to being a pervert, which I for some reason find kind of funny.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
Epiosde 15 Random Thoughts

Re: Nishio Ohnishi & Hikayu Hoshikawa
The new girl’s creator appears to be a caricature or parody of Nisio Isin, the creator of the Monogatari series (which possibly makes Hikayu Hoshikawa to be a take-off of Tsubasa Hanekawa?). I sure hope Isin gave pre-approval to the way his avatar is being handled, because otherwise it’s a pretty unflattering (libelous?) depiction of someone who is a fairly popular creator.

Ohnishi’s creepiness aside, Hoshikawa might end up being something of an ace in the hole. As yet Altair doesn’t know about her, and that could give them the opportunity to augment the character without tipping Altair off that she’s in play.

Re: Alicetaria & Gai Takarada
Did anyone else find Alicetaria & Magane’s conversation to be a little on the disjointed side?

So it sounds like Alicetaria is laying the ground work for a strike of her own against Altair. Her creator, meanwhile, has decided to throw his lot in with Team Meteora, tho I suspect his loyalties are to Alicetaria first and everything else a distant second. In any case, he also seems convinced Alicetaria will ultimately “rebel” and try to stop Altair.

Re: Blitz & Altair
We finally have some background info on Blitz, and you can readily see now why he’s sided with Altair. If I’m not mistaken, his mission is going to be to attack the creators directly, so you know his first target is going to be Suruga, who he almost certainly blames as the real mastermind behind his daughter’s death. I’m guessing we’re going to be seeing a Blitz vs Suruga confrontation very soon (next episode?).

Overall, not much happened this episode but lots of character moments. We’re suppose to get a special next week (no new episode), but after that I think the action is going to start coming thick and fast. Only 7 episodes left, and lots of stuff seems to still be in flux. Are we sure that last episode is going to be a normal length one? Because at this rate it wouldn’t surprise me if they decided to close out the series with an hour-long extravaganza.

Rating: 3.5/5.0
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
There were a lot of conversations in this episode that were kind of ambiguous. The first was between Magane and Alicetaria. What is Alicetara tring to do? My lead interpretation is that this was a bit of reverse reverse psychology, in which Alicetaria tells Magane to stir things up, hoping Magane thinks she's telling her that so she doesn't do it, while in fact she actually does want her to do it. I'm not sure why exactly, though. I think she may believe that an active Magane may be comparatively worse for the Altair side than the Meteora side. As for Alice's creator, I agree with DeTroyes that he's pretty much in it for her, or at least in it for keeping his creation from going down a bad path.

Blitz and Altair was a bit harder to read. Was Altair trying to protect him by telling him to stay out of it because she wants him to reap the benefits of a potential victory? And was his refusal due to him wanting to protect her in return?

With Onishi and Hikayu, I'ts really funny how the creators and their creations are often similar in interesting ways. They may not share exactly the same values or agree about things, but their methods of thinking and the kinds of things that are relevant to them are often similar. With Onishi and Hikayu, Hikayu is obviously a bit of an overtheatrical dumbass, clearly created for that 'otaku' target demographic. Adn Onishi is a bit of an... overtheatrical dumbass, in a way that's a bit reminiscent of Hikayu herself.

Also, Altair definitely does know about Hikayu. She's listed as "The Empress" in Altair's Creation Card Hologram thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
My interpretation of what Alicetaria was doing with Magane was appealing to Magane's sense of freedom where she wants to do whatever she wants, just to show she can. That at current Magane's sense of doing whatever she wants is somewhat dwarfed by Altair's who seemingly does not have the same restrictions Magane has to do whatever she wants, that for fun it only makes sense that she mess with Altair. Alice is saying that she won't even interfere with this so Magane should not be worried about muscle brains.

And Altair with Blitz, I think there could be a few different interpretations or theorise. The first and I think more cynical is that Altair is being genre savvy, she might suspect that story wise, which is what the other side is trying to invoke, that Blitz will have a sudden change of heart and work to save everyone. The other theory I think goes more into what I was theorising earlier in the show with what exactly is important of each character, that many of these character might have a reflection onto Setsuna. This is that Altair can be quite reflective of Setsuna, and may hold some feelings of significance to characters, Mamika was seem as childish naivety, but Blitz is sort of a hope of a father like figure, a sort of unconditional love that was probably the most desirable to Setsuna at her worst. Altair does not want him at risk then.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
For what its worth, I took a glance at an unsubtitled copy of last Saturday's (7/22) Re:Creators special that aired instead of a new episode, and I'm pretty sure its not worth anyone's time to track down. It mostly has three of the female voice actors sitting around a table answering questions in a quiz-show style format, but it doesn't appear that anything major was revealed. (However, since watashi-no nihongo hidoi desu, you are welcome to prove me wrong).

According to some stuff I saw elsewhere, there's a new episode being aired on 7/29, but the week after that (8/5) will be another special - the 3rd and last. After that, the final six episodes will air in the usual time slot for the last six weeks.

ADDENDUM:
For those who are wondering, the interview/introduction video Amazon has posted is NOT the summer special that aired in Japan last Saturday. I think that might actually be the 1st special, which aired back in March, but I'm not sure. In any case, its not the program that aired last weekend.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 16

And looks like we are actually moving into the climax already, I was thinking the birdcage would be towards the end of the season, but we are starting now. Makes me wonder either this event will fail and not end things, or for a good amount of episodes the rest of the event is going to be pretty with things happening that the time is going to be filled.

Would you call this a fanservice episode? The characters went to the baths and everything, I think that I most liked Yuuya's creator praising his work. Actually, you could practically call the start of the festival as fanservice, since how many of us would think that it would be totally cool for this sort of thing.

Oh, and Selesia now has her mech, which seemed to be a planned event to get Altair out, and yet Altair and her group is also joining in while understanding it all. There is a secret weapon apparently
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9