• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Where to Be-GIN with Gintama

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
GINTAMAAAAAAAAN

Man if you started with the dub, you missed a lot of good stuff. Aside from the humor, this show has some amazing action. Definitely check out the Benizakura (They made a dubbed movie of it) and Yoshiwara (139-146) arcs. You should be able to get into them pretty easily.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I can't even begin to grasp my favorite Gintama episodes, there's a whole ton of 'em! Though I'd normally recommend peopel to simply start at the beginning, admittedly Gintama's first 50-or-so episodes aren't great (still good though). The Benizakura arc is where things suddenly become golden.

Been a long time since I watched the first series, but the Yoshiwara arc always stuck with me the most of all the story arcs. For the comedy episodes... well, almost every single one of them is great. God I want to rewatch this now...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Out of the serious pre-2015 arcs, 4 devas and courtesan of the nation were the best for me. The feels and badassery in those arcs are out of this world. And people who start on 2015 really don't get what they're missing. Think about just jumping in and being exposed to 2015 kagura, you'd never know how much she cares for the others, for example, the episode where she got a new umbrella from gin. It was the most adorable thing ever and made her a truly wonderful character in my mind. If your just in for the comedy fine, but don't pretend you know the series if you haven't watched it from episode 3. The characters grow and change and become attached to you like in no ther series, and not watching it all is a massive disservice to yourself if you enjoy this show.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I have a lot of free time to watch anime, but I don't like seeking and watching series that are longer than 50 episodes. When I started seriously getting into anime about 10 years ago I started watching One Piece, Bleach and Naruto Shippuden, but I don't feel any urge to return to them.

I suppose that my biggest reason for not watching long series is because I buy my favorite anime on disc with the intention of rewatching them every few years. If I were to collect a mammoth like One Piece, I might not rewatch it. The longest series that I have collected is Inuyasha because I really, really like it.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Mike, if your only looking for the comedy episode, first I suggest the Nintendo Oweii arc. Episode 98-99. Dumb videogame humor based around the Wii launch. There is also the Host arc 54-55, Sukiyaki one-off episode 25, and the Fan-club arc in episodes 157-163. Though the Fan-club arc is working off preexisting stuff from the a more story driven arc, but you'll get by.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
The problem with listening to people's comedy recommendations is that it doesn't work. I tried that to skip around Gintama and rarely did I find the most recommended episodes to be the funniest because comedy is so dependent on personal taste. I ended up watching everything. And ya know, if you're not feeling an episode, you don't have to stick with it.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:17 am Reply with quote
Start from episode 1 and watch it all or go home, I say. That's what I did for Detective Conan back in the day. I was lucky enough to be into Naruto and One Piece since the fansub days. Skipping episodes and missing things is always lame, unless its a bunch of different series like Yu-Gi-Oh or Gundam. But then you get series like ARC-V and Build Fighters with tons of callbacks to previous series so maybe watch all those too....?
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
I used to be intimidated at the thought of starting long running shows/games, thinking "I can watch so many other things in that time," but then I heard someone describe gigantic 100 hour rpgs as reliable entertainment. Yeah, it's long, but it's a ton of a good thing that you know you can jump into and have a good time. After hearing that I played the Persona games, and I beat all of 4 in 3 weeks... So worth it, absolutely adored it. All that time gives a lot of opportunities for things to get more fleshed out than otherwise possible. I got more connected to those characters than anything I've seen or played in ages. Since thinking like this I've wanted to start either Gintama, One Piece, or Hunter x Hunter. Just sounds like a good time now. My advice would be don't overthink it, just watch it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
I tend to prefer the dramatic arcs over the comedy episodes, but of the latter, one of my favorites was when they replaced the characters with mannequins and visited the animation studio.

Quote:
Daingerfield was the guy they got to voice Sesshomaru in InuYasha: The Final Act, after David Kaye left to be the ingratiating “MEET BOB!” voice in those sketchy Enzyte commercials.

Lies! Ok, not lies. Just whys? I hope he got a good payday out of it before the shit hit the fan. At least now he's got a nice legit gig on Last Week Tonight. Smile
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:06 am Reply with quote
I used to avoid long-runners like the plague, until last year. My boyfriend at the time was OBSESSED with One Piece, and convinced me to watch it with him. I didn't think much of it at first, but I slowly but surely became just as obsessed as he is. It taught me not to write something off based on length, and has given me something to look forward to almost every single week.

I've been interested in Gintama for a while now, and even more so after all the comments I'm seeing here. I thought about jumping in with the new dub, but it sounds like that's not the best approach to take. Guess I'll just start it from the beginning like most of you are recommending.
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:43 am Reply with quote
This may appear blasphemy going by the other comments but I just don't find Gintama funny. It's straight-man does nothing for me and meta and parodies are probably my least favourite style of comedy (not just in anime, in pretty much everything). I'm aware that some parodies can be quite funny but to me Gintama isn't a Naked Gun it's a "from the makers of scary movie".

Maybe Japanese comedy is just too over the top for me. I've always preferred anime comedy when it's combined with another genre to tone it down romantic/comedy, action/comedy etc. For example I found Reborn much funnier when it stopped trying to be a comedy and focused more on being an action series with comedy elements. For the record I don't consider Gintama an action/comedy, it is an action series and a comedy series it very rarely combines the two (and it succeeds when it does) but normally it keeps its comedy and serious sides completely separate. Similarly to the currently airing Nanbaka, it has comedy arcs and action/serious arcs and the 2 almost never mix.

But I do know that comedy is one of the most subjective forms of entertainment so I'm not saying this to try and convince or argue with anyone instead I'm just providing the opposite side of the argument.

That being said I really love the serious arcs, I think they're well-written, the action scenes are well choreographed and the stakes even when it's just one person always feel tense. They've done more to endear me to the characters in their short span than any comedy episodes. 30 episodes of comedy and I didn't care one bit about any of the characters but then a short 4 episode serious arc and suddenly they mattered to me.

So for now I can't say I like Gintama as a series because the majority of it is a comedy that I don't find funny.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
I love gintama for its witty sharp humor and its way of making fun of itself and others.
Sci-fi elements and all the other great elements to numerous to mention.
Im torn about the dub though.I've only watch the initial 50 eps on my Sentai discs .
(I've KINDA BEEN WATIN N HOPIN FOR A DUB)
And i would've rather restarted there with the dub ...to kind-of reboot (yet would still be missing Kaguras V.A miss Rie Kugimiya ..she rocks ) So to jump ahead to what to season 3 ep. 266 . thats gonna mess me up i know . Is there any news on them going back to dub season 1 & 2 ? or r they just going forward from 3 ?
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
If the worse that can be said about Gintama is only the serious arcs are good, that's still pretty impressive. I think I'll like Gintama's brand of comedy, but even if I don't, I'll at least try a serious arc or two before I'd consider giving up on it.

aquadon1963 wrote:
Is there any news on them going back to dub season 1 & 2 ? or r they just going forward from 3 ?

No official word yet, but I think they might go back to season 1 and 2 later on. I've heard Sentai still has the license for those episodes, so Crunchyroll is probably waiting for it to lapse/see if there's enough interest to dub the earlier parts.
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
I used to avoid long-runners like the plague, until last year. My boyfriend at the time was OBSESSED with One Piece, and convinced me to watch it with him. I didn't think much of it at first, but I slowly but surely became just as obsessed as he is. It taught me not to write something off based on length, and has given me something to look forward to almost every single week.

I've been interested in Gintama for a while now, and even more so after all the comments I'm seeing here. I thought about jumping in with the new dub, but it sounds like that's not the best approach to take. Guess I'll just start it from the beginning like most of you are recommending.

Start from episode 3, the first 2 are filler and in no way Necessary. Trust me, it's better to start at 3. I say this as a guy whos favorite series is Gintama, I have watched all the anime and am caught up with the manga

Also. As others have said, just about everyone agrees that the begining is ok to pretty good depending on your tast, but it drastically improves in every way as the series goes on. It's important to see everything to understand the series, but just know that things will start improving in the 20-50 range. Personally, I liked the series early on, but it really began to click for me after 30, then the lols, feels, and epicness just kept ramping up and now it's my favorite show of all time.

Last edited by Crystalblade13 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
LoriasGS wrote:
This may appear blasphemy going by the other comments but I just don't find Gintama funny. It's straight-man does nothing for me and meta and parodies are probably my least favourite style of comedy (not just in anime, in pretty much everything). I'm aware that some parodies can be quite funny but to me Gintama isn't a Naked Gun it's a "from the makers of scary movie".

Maybe Japanese comedy is just too over the top for me. I've always preferred anime comedy when it's combined with another genre to tone it down romantic/comedy, action/comedy etc. For example I found Reborn much funnier when it stopped trying to be a comedy and focused more on being an action series with comedy elements. For the record I don't consider Gintama an action/comedy, it is an action series and a comedy series it very rarely combines the two (and it succeeds when it does) but normally it keeps its comedy and serious sides completely separate. Similarly to the currently airing Nanbaka, it has comedy arcs and action/serious arcs and the 2 almost never mix.

But I do know that comedy is one of the most subjective forms of entertainment so I'm not saying this to try and convince or argue with anyone instead I'm just providing the opposite side of the argument.

That being said I really love the serious arcs, I think they're well-written, the action scenes are well choreographed and the stakes even when it's just one person always feel tense. They've done more to endear me to the characters in their short span than any comedy episodes. 30 episodes of comedy and I didn't care one bit about any of the characters but then a short 4 episode serious arc and suddenly they mattered to me.

So for now I can't say I like Gintama as a series because the majority of it is a comedy that I don't find funny.

Are you caught up?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3