• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Kensho Ono Confirms Relationship With Kana Hanazawa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alcest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Westerners are so much obsessed with the crazed obsessive fans. You realize that 99% of Japan doesn't mind at all these celebrity marriages?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Alcest wrote:
Westerners are so much obsessed with the crazed obsessive fans. You realize that 99% of Japan doesn't mind at all these celebrity marriages?

That doesn't make any sense. How are westerners the obsessed ones here? Because we're talking about it? That's not obsession, it's just commentary.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
The difference is that Miyano still remains one of the most successful seiyuu in the medium, his singles often rank high in Oricon and he gets a fuckton of jobs

This season I believe Miyano reprised his support role in Yowapeda and has a support role in ACCA. Is he in anything else this season? Seems awfully quiet for a superstar seiyuu like him. Haven't heard much about him in spring shows either (and there are quite a few reverse harems/fujoshi shows)
Stubbenz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
The difference is that Miyano still remains one of the most successful seiyuu in the medium, his singles often rank high in Oricon and he gets a fuckton of jobs

This season I believe Miyano reprised his support role in Yowapeda and has a support role in ACCA. Is he in anything else this season? Seems awfully quiet for a superstar seiyuu like him. Haven't heard much about him in spring shows either (and there are quite a few reverse harems/fujoshi shows)

The only other show I remember him in this season is the assassination classroom spin-off. Still, if previous seasons of Yowamushi pedal are anything to go by, he'll be getting plenty of lines (that show loves rival characters from Hakone delivering monologue after monologue). He's probably earning more than enough.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

Well, in the nearly ten years since he got married he's scored jobs in big profile series such as DRRR, FMA, Steins;Gate, K, Sailor Moon Crystal, Tokyo Ghoul, UtaPri, Yuri on Ice, Free!, Black Butler, Bungo Stray Dogs, to name a few, all of of which are main or at the very least important characters, and lots of which are fujoshi franchises, so he certainly hasn't lost the support from that demographic. Heck, I'd argue most of his most popular roles (save his works on Death Note, Wolf's Rain and Ouran) are all from his post-marriage yeads. He also released a new single in november and hosts a radio show and is scheduled to appear in 4 movies this year. No matter how you look at it, he has a lot of work and is one of the most recognizable names of the industry right now, whereas Aya Hirano has had what? Half a dozen roles since her scandal? Checking her wiki, she hasn't released any album since 2014 and with few exceptions, all her recent anime roles are reprisings of stuff she was already doing before otaku turned their backs on her.

Sure, both faced backlash in their time, but one of them evidently didn't lose support from the core audience, not even in the short term (there is no noticeable break or a lapse of time in which he wasn't getting a lot of roles) while the other's career was all but blown to smithereens. Not a comparable situation at all. Your insinuation that Miyano isn't really that successful is disingenuous at best.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Alcest wrote:

It's great that 99% of Japan doesn't mind at all. The problem is that there are still enough people who care way too much and make it their sole purpose for existence to boycott, do other financial harm, threaten, physically harm, sometimes actually kill, and otherwise make their target miserable. I'm sure most people aren't crazy and obsessed, but the number who are is still much too great.
starlightshine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I knew of this days ago but I didn't say anything because I wanted Ono to say it himself. Hope he and Kanahana have a happy relationship and that fans don't go too crazy.

Resident Miyano fan checking in.

Vaisaga wrote:
Tell that to poor Mamoru Miyano. His fans lost their shit when he got married. It got even worse when they were expecting (Miyano was told he was infertile so them having a kid was a miracle to him).

Of course Ono is hardly as big a name as Miyano, but female fans can be just as bad as male ones.

It's a little worse than that. He announced that his girlfriend was already pregnant and that they were going to get married. Some fans announced they would be leaving his fandom and some extreme fans even sent death threats to her and their unborn son. No wonder Miyano never talks about his personal life in public and never revealed their faces.

And for the delusional fans... They never had a chance, said girlfriend was also his high school sweetheart. I think they would have married eventually, the baby just sped up the process.

Megiddo wrote:

I've noticed he actually doesn't take on many roles each season. He's likely one of the highest-ranked seiyuu and thus has the power to decide what roles he wants to do, rather than taking on everything that comes his way.

I don't claim to know how dubbing works, but Miyano has a year-end concert tour just about every year, so it's possible that he has even less Winter roles because he has to prep for his concerts.

By the way, his agency doesn't let him do any actual BL work. Ever noticed how he hasn't done any actual BL work throughout his career?

CrowLia wrote:
... He also released a new single in november and hosts a radio show and is scheduled to appear in 4 movies this year. No matter how you look at it, he has a lot of work and is one of the most recognizable names of the industry right now

Sure, both faced backlash in their time, but one of them evidently didn't lose support from the core audience, not even in the short term (there is no noticeable break or a lapse of time in which he wasn't getting a lot of roles) while the other's career was all but blown to smithereens. Not a comparable situation at all. Your insinuation that Miyano isn't really that successful is disingenuous at best.

This, exactly.

He released 2 singles in October, actually. On the same day. Oricon first week chart rankings:

Quote:
*5. 18,741 *,*18,741 "Tempest" by Mamoru Miyano
*9. 16,474 *,*16,474 "The Birth" by Mamoru Miyano

Source; IIRC Tempest broke 20k later.

He's been hosting his own radio show, Radio Smile, for years too. I don't know how much people in this forum know about seiyuu, but they don't just do anime roles. They dub for games (eg Persona 5), movies (anime, tokusatsu and JP dubbing of foreign films), host radio shows, and sometimes do stage plays - Miyano had one last year. Fun fact: he's also acted before, in drama The Quiz Show, and 2 movies - Wonderful World and Kami Voice. Source

He was also the first male seiyuu to host a Budokan concert, in 2013. Source; He also just held an overseas concert in Taiwan.

And as for popularity... He's still the #1 3D person Japanese fans want to give Valentine's chocolate to and receive from. In 2017.

So indeed, both faced backlash but Miyano is still one of the most successful seiyuu out there. Just because he doesn't seem to have as many roles doesn't mean he's not popular - let's take into account all the other stuff he's doing in Japan. Meanwhile... Poor Hirano.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Alcest wrote:

Tell that to Aya Hirano whose career was ruined for the sin of admitting she'd had lovers in the past, or that AKB48 girl who had to shave her head for having a boyfriend, or that one other idol that was fired also for having a boyfriend and even lost the lawsuit against her former employers for her unjust firing. It doesn't matter if only 0.0001% of the population is crazy, it's enough that talent agencies will have draconian clauses in their contracts just so that minimal percentage will keep pouring money at them.
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
I'm crying! My baby is growing so fast. I'm so happy for them. I also didn't know Hanazawa was so young. I thought she'd be in her early 30s. This news makes me very happy.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
I'm crying! My baby is growing so fast. I'm so happy for them. I also didn't know Hanazawa was so young. I thought she'd be in her early 30s. This news makes me very happy.

She was born the same month as me, so I will never forget that. I always took that as a sign that we were soul mates. Laughing
guestatc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Pretty funny that 80% of the posts here are people complaining about what the "otaku" are going to do, when it turns out that nobody even cared, everybody's fine with it. Not saying that there haven't been cases where fans got too into things, or that performers in various industries haven't had to apologize for certain things(though it was almost always for violating things from the contracts they themselves signed), but there is without a doubt a trend, especially in western outlets, which trickles over to certain overseas fan segments, to sensationalize the most extreme cases, come up with wild stereotypes.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
guestatc wrote:
Pretty funny that 80% of the posts here are people complaining about what the "otaku" are going to do, when it turns out that nobody even cared, everybody's fine with it. Not saying that there haven't been cases where fans got too into things, or that performers in various industries haven't had to apologize for certain things(though it was almost always for violating things from the contracts they themselves signed), but there is without a doubt a trend, especially in western outlets, which trickles over to certain overseas fan segments, to sensationalize the most extreme cases, come up with wild stereotypes.

It's not a false stereotype when these celebrities are often in inhumane contracts(these contracts really should not be legal) that prevent them from being in a relationship period. Obviously it's a big enough deal that agencies are playing along with this apparently tiny group of crazy people. And even in this case, he "apologized to his fans"! Why? Why the hell would you need to apologize to your fans if you got in a relationship without telling them?
chocorade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Hana is so pretty, she could get a better looking guy lololol.
But seriously, good for them! Although I share the worry about crazy otakus reacting at this :/ Hope nobody's career gets affected.
kufirst

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
I am heartbroken Kana-chan! Sad

Laughing

Though in all honesty, I'm quite happy for them. They're two of my favorites and I wish them both the best.
guestatc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
guestatc wrote:

It's not a false stereotype when these celebrities are often in inhumane contracts(these contracts really should not be legal) that prevent them from being in a relationship period. Obviously it's a big enough deal that agencies are playing along with this apparently tiny group of crazy people. And even in this case, he "apologized to his fans"! Why? Why the hell would you need to apologize to your fans if you got in a relationship without telling them?

I don't agree with some of the contract stipulations some people have, I don't really care what they do in their free time. However, some people do, and they pay very good money to support the entertainer, idol, whatever. Not saying at all that gives them a right to make any demands whatsoever. But it certainly entitles them to spend their money where they want to. And these entertainers(again, using a broad terms here to encompass many people), they know all this going in, but they choose to sign. It's not like it's mandatory, or that they can't quit. It's certainly not required in all contracts, not even close. Just that many lucrative contracts have the stipulations, which they choose to sign up for. And the agencies don't want to lose customers, no one wants to drive away potential customers. They especially don't want to drive away customers who pay(talk is cheap, lots of people talk about being fans, but how many actually put down their money?) So they stipulate certain things, for certain contracts, for certain periods of time.

But that's all neither here nor there. As I said above, it's a very small segment of fans who even complain, much less get worked up, it's not nearly as common as people seem to believe. As for his apology, it wasn't an apology for dating, it was for not telling his fans directly, and having it leak through a report. Lots of people say they leaked it on purpose themselves anyways, for what that's worth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4