• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club Licenses Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Novel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenKey_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote
I really like the manga! It has exactly the right amount of darkness and pain that i want! Hope this gets anime sometime soon! Smile
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:57 am Reply with quote
GoldenKey_ wrote:
I really like the manga! It has exactly the right amount of darkness and pain that i want! Hope this gets anime sometime soon! Smile

Just from the description it sounds an awful lot like rising of the shield hero.

And while I love shield hero just knowing that it's another "transported to another game world" makes me look at this skeptically.

Maybe a reviewer from ANN will take a look at it and give a rating Wink Wink
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
GoldenKey_ wrote:

Just from the description it sounds an awful lot like rising of the shield hero.

And while I love shield hero just knowing that it's another "transported to another game world" makes me look at this skeptically.

Maybe a reviewer from ANN will take a look at it and give a rating Wink Wink

While I would normally agree with you, this is one series I absolutely would not write off. The stuff the protagonist has to go through is dark, very dark and it does enough to make it stand out on it's own (the only similarities it has to shield hero is basically the idea of a naive protagonist going to another world and getting fucked up, that's pretty much it). I'd recommend giving the manga a quick look (only 10 chapters anyway), but if you loved shield hero, this series will be right up your alley.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
Oh, Arifureta. I wonder if J-List's version will come out faster than the scanlations; I may have to be a bit less of a leech after all.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
yep, from what I ahve been told, this is one of the good ones.
TUSF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
This is a pretty "edgy" story, with tons of wish fulfilment and ass pulls.
That's not to say the story isn't fun, but it's no master piece. I put up with a lot of the contrivances, because it was entertaining and the comedy was occasionally amusing, but I ultimately dropped the web novel as a result of one of the stupidest deus ex machina the story had managed to throw out.

I'm not expecting TOO much from the light novel (authors occasionally make adjustments for the better when transitioning away from a web novel) but I already have a J-Novel subscription, so may as well check it out.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
TUSF wrote:
, but I ultimately dropped the web novel as a result of one of the stupidest deus ex machina the story had managed to throw out.

dunno I will give it a try , I read the exact same thing about mushoku tensei and it was the fault of the reader as he was not intelligent enought ot put the peices together and understand the "deus ex machina" and how it tied everything up.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:
While I would normally agree with you, this is one series I absolutely would not write off. The stuff the protagonist has to go through is dark, very dark and it does enough to make it stand out on it's own (the only similarities it has to shield hero is basically the idea of a naive protagonist going to another world and getting fucked up, that's pretty much it). I'd recommend giving the manga a quick look (only 10 chapters anyway), but if you loved shield hero, this series will be right up your alley.

hmn in that case ill put it on my list. I don't like starting something with such few chapters unless I know for certain I'll like it.
TUSF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
TUSF wrote:
, but I ultimately dropped the web novel as a result of one of the stupidest deus ex machina the story had managed to throw out.

dunno I will give it a try , I read the exact same thing about mushoku tensei and it was the fault of the reader as he was not intelligent enought ot put the peices together and understand the "deus ex machina" and how it tied everything up.

It wasn't a matter of missing some key information or anything. I'm not the only one who felt "this" came out of no where either.

spoiler[Hajime basically pulls a Lava Submarine out of his ass, at the most convenient of times, without prior notice that he had ever built it. Even the girls who are with him 24/7 apparently never saw him work on it.]

Honestly it's questionable that an average highschool student would be able to build a fraction of the shit he makes, so from that start you have to suspend a TON of disbelief, so honestly it was just a matter of time before I decided I was tired of holding up the aforementioned disbelief.
Some people will completely ignore this aspect of the story without question, and you know what? That's perfectly fine. But keep in mind that if you're the type bothered by unexplained plot holes and Deus ex machina, then you may find various aspects of this story VERY tiresome.

Edit: Oh, and of course there are people bothered by blatant harem stories, so yeah.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
TUSF wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
TUSF wrote:

It wasn't a matter of missing some key information or anything. I'm not the only one who felt "this" came out of no where either.

spoiler[Hajime basically pulls a Lava Submarine out of his ass, at the most convenient of times, without prior notice that he had ever built it. Even the girls who are with him 24/7 apparently never saw him work on it.]

Honestly it's questionable that an average highschool student would be able to build a fraction of the shit he makes, so from that start you have to suspend a TON of disbelief, so honestly it was just a matter of time before I decided I was tired of holding up the aforementioned disbelief.
Some people will completely ignore this aspect of the story without question, and you know what? That's perfectly fine. But keep in mind that if you're the type bothered by unexplained plot holes and Deus ex machina, then you may find various aspects of this story VERY tiresome.

Edit: Oh, and of course there are people bothered by blatant harem stories, so yeah.

oh yeah, (after reading the minor spoiler) it's not like the stuff that happens in mushoku tensei at all then, yup,it sounds like the typical wish fulfillment /OP mc that happens in those kind of series, even shield hero ruisn good arcs by pulling that sometimes.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
In his Reddit thread called "I'm Sam Pinansky (aka Quarkboy), founder and President of J-Novel Club! Ask Me Anything!", Sam said that a thing he won't license are the super ecchi LN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1