• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Android Idol U Debuts at Tokyo Department Store

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Can it love?
Edward Briceño

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
its just me or this is a mechanical version of Watanabe Mayu? lol, even age, 22 years...
Midaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
This so scary.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
No, you can't replace real flesh and blood idols with androids. The uncanny valley is huge in her. If you don't want flesh and blood idols, go holographic, go 2D, or get out.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
wanna make a Chuck E Cheese band of these
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
No, you can't replace real flesh and blood idols with androids. The uncanny valley is huge in her. If you don't want flesh and blood idols, go holographic, go 2D, or get out.

I'm gonna copy this as a quote and post it somewhere else on the Internet.

Thank you.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

Yeah, the uncanny valley was permeating throughout the entire room in that video. The way the bot sits, barely moving, is a major factor too.

I'm also not entirely sure what they want to do with this robot. It can understand human speech and answer back to an extent, and I assume it can sing, but it doesn't seem like much else.

(I'd argue that 3-D CG can work too. The vocaloids have gained much success being largely in 3-D CG.)
Midaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
They intend to sell them in the market in three years. The creator, the guy on the right in the video, said so in an interview in Spain. There are more videos out there in youtube with androids of the same kind. They already can move "naturally". He is just showing how realistic they are while answering questions and intends to improve the prototype in the new generations so that they get to be more and more realistic. But, even if they looked and moved exactly like us, I think this is sick. Because now girls will have to compete not only with plastic surgery but also with androids. There is a place for fantasy and another one for reality.

Also, the impact in the job market will be terrible when they begin substituting us. Imagine how cheap they will be for firms, that will not have to pay social security taxes for the employee or holydays or medical out, having a machine working even extra hours with little computer maintenance costs.

I'm also copying the previous comment to post it in twitter.

Sadly, he's not the only person or firm making androids. There is a world race in the industry of AI nowadays that no government is suppervising. In a few years, the first ones affected will be taxi drivers and all of those working in transportation. Afterwards, almost everyone will suffer the consequences. I'm really scared of the future of the entire planet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1