• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Captain Harlock Endless Orbit SSX Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
If I like Arcadia of My Youth I would be interested in this follow up series. I hope there is an eventual BD release of Endless Orbit (but there does not seem to be a Japanese BD release of it).
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome news!
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Surprising pickup, makes me wonder what other Matsumoto titles they have planned with the amount that they have been picking up lately. Maybe Queen Millennia? That's what Harmony Gold used for their Harlock adaptation when they failed to get SSX back in the day,

angelmcazares wrote:
If I like Arcadia of My Youth I would be interested in this follow up series. I hope there is an eventual BD release of Endless Orbit (but there does not seem to be a Japanese BD release of it).

It's Toei Animation and their old TV shows get bad FORS upscales for BD (see this list) so don't expect any good quality if that ever happens.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Back in the early days of US anime fandom, Arcadia of My Youth was circulated under the title of My Youth in Arcadia, and that's pretty much how I've always remembered the film. In any case, the film itself is in my top five all-time favorite anime films. Its a great origin story for one of the greatest anime (anti?) heroes of all time.

The spinoff series Endless Orbit SSX, however, is a little disappointing. I don't think its a bad series, just not as good as either Space Pirate Captain Harlock or My Youth in Arcadia. Among other problems is that spoiler[the series was originally conceived to go for much longer than 22 episodes. Faced with an earlier-than-anticipated cancellation, Matsumoto chose to end everything with a very rushed and in some ways nonsensical ending.] I'll probably still buy this when it comes out, though, since Leiji Matsumoto is one of my all-time favorite creators.

Hoping this also means English versions of Space Symphony Maetel and (an unedited) Queen Millenia are not too far away now. Heck, might as well throw in The Cockpit as well.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
Just seeing the Queen Millennia movie, with intact end song, would be nice.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
More classic goodness.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I personally think the show is sort of bleh and it's just not a plot I would have done for a spin off of Arcadia of My Youth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1