• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice Voted as Tokyo Anime Awards' Animation of the Year

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and fans could vote once per day.

Well, that doesn't make the results any more meaningful.Rolling Eyes

But the results are interesting because they show once again clearly how important female anime fans have become for the industry. Many of the shows in the list are fujoshi-friendly, including the top 3. Yuri!!! on ICE definitely deserves some attention, but High Speed! and Dream Festival really weren't anything special.

Now that I look at it again, almost all of the entries are fujoshi-friendly or shounen anime (or both, like Yowapeda). I wonder why shows aimed at an older male audience are not in the list, as those often dominate charts.
Stubbenz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
Good for Yuri on Ice. It had some incredible scenes. I can't figure out why Joker Game is at number 2 though. It was a perfectly fine series, but still leagues behind so many other brilliant anime from last year. I'm just happy Utawarerumono didn't place any higher - that show was a mess.

Ah well, all ranting aside, there are plenty of interesting (and a few bizarre) picks. It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of who voted. Congrats to all the shows.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions should have been #1. smh

Oh, yeah! Fafner made the list. It deserves to be #2.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Surprise surprise, Yuri on Ice is #1 !
Still blows my mind to see Joker Game #2.
That Top 20 is a really weird list.
But at least IBO, Mob Psycho and Gintama (SHOULDVE BEEN FIRST Anime cry) are there.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
The top 20 didn't make any sense at all until I saw where TAAF is being held.

Now that makes perfect sense. Wonder how far away from Otome Road it'll be.
beeperlove

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
Very cool.
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quote
Nice to see IBO ranked high.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Hmm, don't care. Confused

If you didn't care, then why did you even bother to comment?
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
I'm really, really surprised how high Joker Game ranked. I haven't picked it up since episode 2 or 3. Does it get really good or something?
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I'm really, really surprised how high Joker Game ranked. I haven't picked it up since episode 2 or 3. Does it get really good or something?

Nope, in fact, it only gets worse as it goes on. The first 3 episodes were easily the strongest, in my opinion. It's a pretty mediocre show, over all.

Another interesting list. Japan seems to really like these "vote once per day" polls. This is a really strange list, I'll say that much. To Be Hero? Confused I guess women liked that?
strawberysammy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
Why is every one so bewildered that Joker Game placed second? Joker Game's Blu-Rays ranked top five in the charts. Just because the show wasn't popular in the west, doesn't mean it wasn't popular in Japan.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
It is so satisfying to see Yuri on Ice dominating the polls. It's also worth noting that, although it didn't place in the top 20, Rakugo Shinjuu did get chosen for the top 100. I believe it was somewhere above the middle the last time I saw.

grooven wrote:

Au contraire, the ending ranges from simply blah to downright terrible depending on whether explicit and glorified sexism bothers you or not -it ruined the show for me-. Imho, it had potential and it's not like something went horribly wrong ala Dimension W, it just kind of never went anywhere. I'm honestly surprised by its popularity too. It sold rather well, but it wasn't a spectacular hit or anything, I would've thought everyone had forgotten about it at this point
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:18 am Reply with quote
The voting system kinda sucks. I mean, if each twitter account could vote each day, one crazy fan could create a tons of bot-like accounts and vote every single day. With voting system like this, even if the anime was super shit, it could win if there were crazy fans (or trolls) rigging the poll.

Just for example, when Level-5 (video game developer of Inazuma Eleven, Yokai Watch and Professor Layton) created a favorite character poll, people were voting for an airplane from lesser-known game instead.

I liked Joker Game but even I scored it a flat 7, and frankly there were a lot of better anime in the 2016.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote
I liked Joker Game, so I'm glad that its getting some recognition. Yeah there were better anime than it in 2016, then again there were better shows than Yuri on Ice too, so... Razz
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:

It doesn't, but it has a large and active fandom, which always comes in handy when it comes to a popularity vote such as this one.

Really, these polls are all but meaningless - all they do is ascertain which were the biggest fan-favorite shows of the year. (I do like some shows on the list but it is still ridiculous.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4