• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are Anime Music Videos A Dying Art?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
The problem is most of them are terrible. I'm okay with creative stuff like AMVhell, but when the majority of them are generic Jump show footage overdubbed with some crappy emo band, It gets irritating really quick Evil or Very Mad

In the end is doesn't even matter Razz
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
As someone who used to make AMVs but hasn't made one in years, I got busy as a writer and Youtuber and I'd rather use that time making AMVs to earn money to buy more anime.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why something like MVs even exist...
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
willag wrote:
I still love AMVs. Timing an emotional sequence to music never fails to give me shivers.

Hal Om Mig Nu gets me the most shivery. :'D

When it came out, I just watched it over and over and over and OVER....drove everyone around me nuts. Anime hyper

Also got lots of people wanting to see Princess Tutu. So everybody wins. :'D

Amen. I actually watched that AMV after I already saw the series, but it's still one of my faves.

(I know I've mentioned it before, but my interest in the series was actually spawned by a post on Fandom!Secrets in 2007 that said, "Because of the way Fakir's name is pronounced in Japanese, I can't help but see him as a giant tree f***er," with an obvious clip taken from episode 21 in the background. Tree f***ers, in my animu? Now this I gotta see! I started doing some research and looking at art and eventually just decided to watch the series.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pluvia33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Some of her videos are still on youtube but alot were taken down due to copyright laws.

I'd say "taken down due to YouTube policy" would be more accurate. As far as copyright laws go, AMVs should typically fall well within the realm of Fair Use. Things are a little gray when it comes to making a video for the entirety of a song, but as far as the video content goes it should be without a doubt a Fair Use case as AMVs typically amount to being amateur trailers for the anime that are featured. However, YouTube prefers to play it safe and allows content owners to make infringement claims against pretty much anything that uses their content in any way and YouTube seems to approve their requests in nearly all cases.

Anyway, I've wanted to really get into making AMVs for nearly as long as I've been a serious anime fan (at least for the last 15 years). I have a LOT of ideas listed out in a txt file from over the years including a number of clip ideas for an AMV Hell style video, but sadly my lone AMV legacy to date is four clips that were approved and included in AMV Hell divided by 0 (hentai warning if you're not familiar with their "zero" videos). I'm credited with the same username that I use here if anyone is interested. I'm particularly proud of the clip that uses the Muppet Show theme song....
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
As a recently retired editor, Comedy specifically, I can attest to how difficult it's gotten making a vid each year for Otakon. Coming up with the idea, forming the image patterns in my head, converting DVD to .AVI, photoshopping, and repeated trial and error, it got to be so much labor I wondered why I didn't just quit much day job. Once I piled up so much pressure on myself that I ended up suffering a nervous breakdown and ended up taking a three-year break.

Was it worth it in the end? Absolutely. Hearing everyone's laughter and applause was enough of reward for me, and I got the chance to hang out with several other cool editors at that. The audience really made it all the worth.

Do I wish I could go back to that? Idealistically, I'd return in a heartbeat; but in hindsight, nope. Let's face it, the game has changed so much over the years, Comedy is just so subjective nowadays, and even the Parodies have taken over the field. And don't get me started on Vines or whatever.

Oh well. Retirement suits me better. Let the new bloods stress over that.

Anyway since the topic's up, if you got it flaunt it:
https://youtu.be/Zsj7iz86Wfs

How the hell do embed a vid on here? See, this is another why I quit.

Last edited by prime_pm on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I used to watch AMVs here and there, but I haven't really bothered with them at all for many years now. I still run into "AMVs" all the time on youtube while trying to find a specific memorable scene or something. And those "AMVs" just tend to be 1 fight scene with the creator's favourite song slapped on it. Usually with the subtitles still left on. Ew.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I still create AMVs myself but platforms like YouTube are the last place I would upload them due to the grey-area involving it. Most of the videos I have left on youtube at least have been identified to have infringing content on copyright (mostly due to the music involved), however some of my videos have been taken down due to the claims made by overseas Japanese companies.

AMV.org is still a fine place to upload, but as its been mentioned, there's just too much out there now. it's like being a streamer or youtuber, you have to find your nice, your little something or else the video won't get much traction.

I also believe the long running jokes of syncing anime to edgy music is long since gone. Considering the mainstream music is loaded with pop and auto-tune music, it's not a belief that holds water in the AMV scene as much as it used to. There's also a mistaken belief that if someone uses a tragic or sad song that it must be "edgy", however that's far from it. With that belief you can call any song that has a negative spin "edgy" and "emo" These aren't genres, these are just a feeling of a song which doesn't hold weight when critiquing anything, let alone AMVs.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I personally create AMVs myself, but I'm more into the drama scene than anything. I'd rather do those over comedy type AMVs though I've noticed my crack ones do get more views than my more serious projects. They are so far from dying though. I feel there is always new people coming into the hobby. It's just the way they are made has changed. More editors are getting in the 3D fx and leaving behind the raw more casual style people may be used to seeing. Of course, raw/flow editing will always exist, but it's more popular to be doing the fx related stuff now.

v1cious wrote:
The problem is most of them are terrible. I'm okay with creative stuff like AMVhell, but when the majority of them are generic Jump show footage overdubbed with some crappy emo band, It gets irritating really quick Evil or Very Mad

You're really not looking in the right places. The more artsy/fx editors tend to be within their own community though so they may be difficult to find, but once you stumble upon one you can usually find a good number of them. Studios that they lead can also show you where the good editors are congregating. I dunno, I have no problem finding plenty of good AMVs and to me it's rare to see the terrible ones you describe.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I did notice this. Most of my fellow AMV makers from the old days have either slowed down on making AMVs or stopped entirely. I still make some as well, but because life and other reasons and no real interest in many newer shows, I dont make them as often as I did. It's a time consuming hobby. It can take months to make a decent AMV, and it can still not be exactly how you want it. Personally, I just have too many hobbies piling up now to dedicate all my hobby time to an AMV... if I make one once a year, that's lucky for me.

With that said, here's some shameless advertisement =P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdmHZT2or0Q

This video was in Anime Vegas' action category last year which premiered at Anime Expo.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I've made a few pretty low rent AMVs, usually on the fly, just for the fun of it.

The main problem these days is the same as with video reviewing: flagging for copyrighted content, either the footage or the song. Which, to a certain degree, is understandable, at least from the perspective of using an entire song, unedited. The footage aspect, however, is nonsense, because Fair Use should apply.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SrkSano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
After all of these years this Berserk one is still my favorite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L0E6nP6PO0&t=7s
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I love to create AMVs, although admittedly I tend to stick more to MEPs (multi-editor projects) that I do with my friends in studios over much longer AMVs. I still love to watch them and have my favorites as well. I think people can get really creative with their AMVs, in a variety of different styles and genres, but there are a lot out there that, like people said, are usually just clips with music slapped on. I'd prefer actual edits, such as masking, "animating" still images and other image manipulation, and attempts to tell a story through the edits and music, over these fake attempts.

I'm always trying to improve my skills as my friends improve theirs, and it's always neat seeing how much I've progressed over the 10 or so years I've been creating AMVs. It's a fun and interesting creative process that I enjoy and hope to continue to do so in the years to come. Smile
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I kind of like AMVs, but don't watch a ton just because I don't have time. These days, if I am in the mood for something like that, I'm much more likely to check out a Sakuga MAD, which is the same thing, but better, in my opinion, because it places more of a focus on the animation, and getting the timing right for those tends to be a little more tricky. I'm also just a sakuga nut, so it tickles my fancy to have something like that which can teach me a lot about an animator's style, introduce me to a new animator, and is just generally fun to watch. SakugaDaichi has a lot of great ones. And a couple other favorites of mine are this one of Kou Yoshinari, and this one of Bahi JD.
John J. Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The AMV contest is still my favorite part of Oni-Con every year.

I love the "misheard lyrics" comedy ones especially, those make me howl with laughter.

There was a really great one using the country song "Show them to Me" which is itself a proudly absurd homage to women's boobs and was PERFECT AMV fodder and a crowd favorite.

I have great ideas for AMV, but ZERO skill (or the proper computer hardware) at making any.

I'd love to see some AMV's for Tanya The Evil using RAMMSTEIN or some other German Metal Band (Eisbrecher has a number of tunes whose German lyrics would fit that show perfectly). There's one Schwarzblut song ("Bis Auf's Blut") that I think would go great with footage from the anime Schwarzesmarken. I even think that Lady Gaga (& R. Kelly) song "Do What U Want {With My Body}" pairs thematically well with Kokoro Connect in a very funny tongue-in-cheek way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7