• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: 2.5 Million Funimation Accounts Compromised in Data Breach

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Яeverse wrote:
When Funi refreshed their site last month or so, we were prompted to change our passwords.

So this breach may be a non issue since I dont think anyone could still be using the old passwords that would have been compromised.

The problem is that many people reuse passwords. I use unique passwords but some of my older accounts still had the same one for quite a while. Someone tried to grab my Steam account a few months ago - I figured they got my password from the LinkedIn breach but given that it was more recent, it may have very well been Funimation. Sad

I don't reuse pws anymore, and have unique PW for each and every site I use now, the problem is that I have so many PWs that I have a small notebook with the sites/pws written down if I forget, the problem there is if someone steals that...granted I keep that very safe though lol
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Some years ago the US government had a data breach where my personal information was compromised, and as a way of compensating, they gave all of the affected individuals access to an online identity theft prevention service, which I took part in just to be safe.

Strangely enough, not too long ago the service notified me that my email address appeared to be compromised from Funimation's website, and recommended that I change any passwords associated with the account, which I did. It does seem to corroborate the incident as having occurred.

Funimation's seeming lack of transparency on this is somewhat brow-raising. At least, I don't recall them having messaged any regarding the data breach. Certainly hurts their reputation, and my respect for them as a company.
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Why this is coming out now and not months ago is definitely unsettling. This'll hit Funi's credibility pretty hard.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks good thing I dont have a paid subscription yet
^__^v

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaHiiragi wrote:
I don't reuse pws anymore, and have unique PW for each and every site I use now, the problem is that I have so many PWs that I have a small notebook with the sites/pws written down if I forget, the problem there is if someone steals that...granted I keep that very safe though lol

Perhaps keep track of only the sites (or usernames if nothing else) one is registered, and request (or manually change) a new password every time to login in? The suggestion is not full proof, but I guess it is better than nothing. Personally I'm not a fan of password keepers/managers.

On the other note, I suggest if one has many accounts, don't use real information most of the time, and if necessary at a minimum. For example, stating what country.

Last edited by ^__^v on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:59 pm; edited 8 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for not saying anything about this, Funi, you scumbags.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I had Funimation's paid subscription for about two years before cancelling last month, and I never noticed any suspicious activity. I am not defending Funimation, but I take this report with a grain of salt.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
When Funi refreshed their site last month or so, we were prompted to change our passwords.

So this breach may be a non issue since I dont think anyone could still be using the old passwords that would have been compromised.

I never was. I used my same old password even after the site updated. However I did change my password because a few days ago I noticed suspicious activity on my account where goods I know I did not add to my cart magically appeared, totaling in the $500 mark.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nagpo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Honestly if you're still using streaming services you deserve this
Akemi Tachibana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
This info was known to the public as early as late November of last year but this is only now reaching ANN? And the gross lack of any info or reassurance from FUNimation is frankly embarrassing.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
Honestly if you're still using streaming services you deserve this

Um....what? Nobody deserves to have their info breached for using streaming services.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I've had a free account that I barely use last time was when Cheer Boys was running as an exclusive and the only thing I've ever bought off of it was the standard DVD release of Serial Experiments Lain.

Reading this is actually first I've heard about it I'm not worried but it would nice if the website I have an account with would at least let me know accounts have been compromised even if it's likely I have nothing to worry about. Even Crunchyroll announced that an security breach had happened on Twitter when that happened a few months to years ago. Oh well the human element in these things cause problems but that's to be expected
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Akemi Tachibana wrote:
This info was known to the public as early as late November of last year but this is only now reaching ANN? And the gross lack of any info or reassurance from FUNimation is frankly embarrassing.

It is also possible Funi just found out about the breach. With all their website update flaws and constant licensing, quality control isn't exactly their specialty.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Akemi Tachibana wrote:

This, everyone. This.
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

Huh... I wasn't asked to change mine.

I also just found another new glitch/bug with their new site. I can't changed my password, as it says my current one needs to be 8 characters and it's only 7. Well, time to make the 6th support ticket this month. This new site, what a masterpiece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4