• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ID-0 (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote

ID-0 (TV)

Genres: science fiction
Themes:

Plot Summary: I-Machines are the general term for robots that operate in extreme environments. While Alliance Academy student Maya Mikuri is in the middle of operating an I-Machine, she gets involved in an incident with pirates, and ends up serving as a crew member on an excavation company's spaceship.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
I enjoy the Studio's aesthetic for 3D CG, the only issue at times is the writing has usually been passable for there projects.

From the description of the series, I don't think this will be a significant work in regards to story telling but just as well I am mainly looking forward to there directing work when it comes to animation.
jroa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Expanded plot summary from the official website with a few extra details not mentioned above:

http://pastebin.com/Nwb12EH0

Which is enough to believe the show is going to gradually (or suddenly) get more interesting.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

This was fun. OP song is very creatively made.

I'm not a big fan of the animation style yet but can be get used to.
The show has a serious sci-fi feel with the setting and mech. That Maya girl has a good sense of working with others although I feel like she does need to be more confident.

The idea of I-Machine definitely has my interest so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
It has been a hot minute since I have seen at outright fun first episode, there are hints that the "future kind of sucks" but the cast is overall upbeat without the usual hints that the "real" narrative is an overt demonstration of angst.

It makes sense that our space pirate crew of sorts has there personal mechs on a variety of garish colors that make them look like sentai heroes for a slightly different series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
Looks like the next production by the creators of BBK/BRNK, or at least it is the same studio handling the animation production. I had found myself interested what next CG show they could do.

I liked it, I am interested with what this show will do. It took me far too long though to realise that the robot bodies they were in were actually huge in comparison to their human bodies, and kind of explained more of them as having uses. Seems the plot implied that the professor and perhaps friend were big douche bags in that they took the data she had made for excavation and then sold it to another company so they could profit while they had her go on a less worthwhile excavation. And they dumped her body.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else watching this series? I finally sat down and started watching it, and breezed through 7 episodes almost in one sitting. A few quibbles about the plot, but overall not bad.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I checked out a chunk of the first eppie, but the subtitle translations seemed a little rough so I decided I'd hang tough until Netflix eventually coughs it up. What I saw looked interesting, though.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying the series quite a bit, personally!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
As I said before it seems to be a bit of the BBK/BRNK sort of thing, but in general it seems to want to have been more mature with a focus on intrigue. The action with mechs in space does lend itself well to the CG, and I kind of like the general sci-fi setting. Although I do think they have had a bit of trouble pulling everything together.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
The pacing has been pretty good, and there's definitely enough intrigue to keep pulling me back. I like the fact that the series creators have at least done their homework on movement in zero-g (all too often they get this wrong, and forget and that once something is in motion it can be incredibly hard to stop). Not sure I buy Ore/Alice's ability to withstand hard vacuum without a suit, but that's just become such an ubiquitous trope I'm willing to work with them on it. My biggest complaint was that spoiler[I thought it was an incredibly unlikely coincidence that ID-0 would turn out to be Ore/Alice's relation, but the most recent episode provides at least a plausible path connecting him to whatever it was that created her].

Definitely an above average show. I wouldn't call it my top favorite of the season, but certainly above the middlings of the pack.

And a note to anyone considering watching this series: every episode has an after-credits sequence, so don't automatically skip to the next episode when the end credits start to roll. I didn't realize this until about 4 episodes in, and had to go back to catch all the sequences I'd missed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Mind trance! I suppose we got a happy ending, the day being saved and Maya able to go back to study was enough for me. Kind of odd that Rick's big post series where are they now bit was that he apparently reconciled with Fa-Loser, but it was kind of funny. I think that my favourite part in the episode was when we had that odd insert song around the half way point where they are going in, kind of a mix of something from Bodacious Space Pirates, and general confidence that they can put what songs they want. Like that ED which is kind of odd for anime, but kind of catchy: "It's been so long, since we left our home behind, dancing in the Milky Way almost every sing day".

As a general rule, I think that I kind of wanted to like this series more than I actually did. After SANZIGEN Animation Studio previously did work like BBK-BRNK, Arpeggio, and the Black Rock Shooter TV series, I was kind of putting thoughts on them with mostly CG series that could be quite decent. Their animation was really not bad, CG can really look well with the robots, but I think it was a sense of fun that was not quite in here, nor really drama as an alternative. I liked the sci-fi setting, I am the sort of person that can feel interest by a sci-fi place feeling lived, the personable setting probably helped with that, and the practical side of the I-Machines were good. I liked Maya in her do right frame of mind, even if it kind of clashed with others. There felt like there were a bunch of themes that did not really have a conclusion, like that old person who apparently tranced into new bodies, not even clear what he was up to. And there was a bunch of expanded world building that felt like it was missing just a bit of clarification of what they were like, such as the military leaders who had a pretty large part in these last episodes with their bulky suits, which kind of felt like they came out of nowhere.

Story I don't think was paced too badly, but filling in the characters felt like it was not quite the best, with the broad strokes of them tending to all happen at once. Maybe a better use of downtime would have helped. Conclusion though felt a little disjointed as it was suddenly all about these plot points that showed up late in the story. I did like how Addams just appeared like some boring office guy after the kind of silly thing he had up to that point, his frustration and apparently seeing Kain as a bad even made sense, and played around a bit with what is right and wrong. The ending seem to be playing with that.

I give a rating of Decent (6/10), I did not really lose my time.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
Oh, Japanese writers! using blatant bible naming conventions, you have someone who is named Kane who was a blatant traitor and Adam who was the first man to man make contact with Rajeev (notice that, the other that mind trance was a little girl?)

What this show was trying to be by the end was Anime Guardians of the Galaxy, the problem was the Addams/Kain stuff was taken too dramatically and squished out most of the fun that was occurring at the start of the series.

Writing wise, this was easily the weakest material from Sanzigen, animation wise it was a great demonstration of whatever future project they will work with.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone watched this? I just saw the last episode.

It was enjoyable series, i thought the ending was lacking.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
It was very Active Raid, all the way to being dragged down by the terrible villain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2