• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eromanga-sensei (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
With a little more time established, unfortunately I cannot get my mind away on the nature that Elf is effectively the Kuroneko counterpart, while the relationship dynamic between the siblings and Elf is noticeably different (so far) from Oreimo it is very obvious her role as an additional otaku surrogate is blatant.

As for the class mates coming by to cheer Amaterasu-manga sensei out of her "cave" and back into the classroom, this viewer found it eye roll worthy in place of endearing.

While Elf and Kuroneko certainly share certain traits, I don't feel as though one is a rehash of the other. I dunno if this make sense, but the tone of their characters is different. Kuroneko was always [attempting] to be calm and cool while Elf is energetic and loud.

The classmate thing isn't really supposed to be endearing since Masamune sure didn't appreciate it and it had the opposite effect on Sagiri.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I am all for the inevitable main pair...but if the series wants to explore ElfxMasamune, that's fine too.

Haha, that's so against my normal shipping nature. Can't believe I'm saying that. Anime hyper I like both of the girls though. His friend who works at the bookstore is also likely to join the triangle, I'm sure. Or if not her, another character.

FenixFiesta wrote:

As for the class mates coming by to cheer Amaterasu-manga sensei out of her "cave" and back into the classroom, this viewer found it eye roll worthy in place of endearing.

I think that was the point since Masamune was annoyed with it instead of touched and Sagiri was too busy being afraid of the piano ghost to even notice. Anime hyper
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
I don't think Elf being the counterpart to Kuronkeo is at all a bad thing. Their shared characteristic of cosplay as normal attire along with their actions make an immediate connection, but they are indeed at opposite ends of the spectrum which shows her as a new character. Kuroneko is a really popular character, and while it may be a case now that her character has been kind of exploited by the audience to think it is kind of cheap, honeslty back then it felt like that there was more to character which earned that popularity, and it could be the same here.

Elf did kind of act arrogant and such in the episode, but it is also a case that it is pretty easy to read between the lines that she is almost certainly pretty lonely, that she does not have many friends, and she appreciates his company, and all while it does not look like it is shamelessly shoving in to the audience's face. With the difference of work ethic and that I think she could bounce off the cast well, I like her character.

And yeah, Masamune ran out of the house to yell at the kids because he knew that their plan which they might think could be heart warming would instead backfire, because most of us would instead be scared that people would do that. We the audience were not supposed to think it was good.

At moment quite interested to where his sister might be that she thinks poorly that the brother she thinks should be close to her seems to be getting along with another girl he only really seemed to just meet. It is not like she can force who he interacts with, her ownership of him is even limited by the little effort she has already put in.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Well, this is a bit problematic. This should have been the episode that would really divide people, but some important details are omitted or left vague that I'm not sure most will catch on to what happened.

Guess I'll spoil tag it just in case, but the novel Masamue wrote spoiler[has a main character who falls in love with his new step sister at first sight, thus giving away Masamune's own feelings.] It's not explicitly stated but maybe it's still obvious?

Anyways, that leads me to "things it does better than Oreimo" #2: spoiler[establishes early that Masamune's feelings for his sister is romantic, preventing it from being a last minute asspull.]
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Masamune imagining half-naked Sagiri, Sagiri getting embarrassed about it and hitting Masamune for thinking about lewd things and Masamune landing on top of Sagiri all had me rolling my eyes. Lame. Elf rolling on the floor was kinda funny though.

Masamune isn't funny like Kyosuke was. I feel like he didn't really have to do all that much to win over Sagiri's trust like Kyosuke had to do with Kirino. Sagiri is just kind of boring too. Sure she is cute, but that's about it. Kirino was kind of unpleasant but it was more interesting to watch how Kyosuke was gonna win her over. I wish the show would focus more on Masamune trying to help his sister go to school and make friends there. Also the whole competition thing between Elf and Masamune was stupid to begin with. Did they really think that Sagiri was gonna go along with their competition? That Elf and Masamune would just suddenly slap some light novel drafts in front of her and force her to choose between those two?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Masamune isn't funny like Kyosuke was. I feel like he didn't really have to do all that much to win over Sagiri's trust like Kyosuke had to do with Kirino.

Situations are different. Kirino and Kyosuke were close as kids so the resulting events soured things even worse. It's much harder to regain lost trust than it is building it initially. Masamune's been devoted to her since she moved in, so Sagiri doesn't have much of a reason to dislike him that much.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
True but I still feel like it all happened too fast. We are only 4 episodes in and Sagiri has already opened up to Masamune. I dunno, it lacked build up and drama. I feel like I still don't know Sagiri all that well.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it took this long to notice; at the very beginning of the OP, it looks like a TV screen Masa and Sagiri take turns popping in it.

It is in fact, NOT a TV screen at all; it's a drawing tablet! Sagiri's tablet, actually. Named "Macom", it is a parody of "Wacom", the exact same tablet I use to color with on my computer!!!

They are excellent tools; they even come with this amazing styllus pen that matches your brush strokes to how much pressure you put on the tablet.

And they are not cheap. Anime hyper

How Do It WERK?

You connect the tablet to your USB port and then the pen acts as a second mouse when you open your standard paint programs. I use Photoshop. Sagiri probably uses something like SAI or the most advanced similar program. Unlike Sagiri though, I scan my pencil drawings into the computer and then outline and color with the Wacom tablet. Sagiri does ALL her work digitally.

stupid talented 12-year-old brat

I didn't like the fanservice tropes much but I liked a majority of the episode. As funny as Elf is, I feel the highlight was the conversation between Masamune and Sagiri. Really, they are damn cute and Masamune's "dream" is cute and Sagiri saying he's the one who gives her dreams is also damn cute.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Another rival has appeared. She is generally considered the better, but also seems to want to beat him, so I wonder if she thinks he copies her or something.

Sagiri might just have become a criminal because of what she did to Megumi.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Oh you're so silly! Didn't you know? It's perfectly okay if a girl does it to another girl!

Given Megumi's behaviour thus far I won't deny that it's satisfying to see her get knocked down a few pegs. A lot of people were dubious about her promiscuity before but now we get the answer that she just acts that way to be fashionable.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I laughed at Sagiri's reaction when Masamune said that Megumi is gonna come by. And Megumi calling Masamune to find out where she can find continuations for those LNs was mildly amusing as it reminded me of myself when I was just getting into anime. That feeling of emptiness after finishing a show could get rather strong back then.

Rest of the episode was just kinda OKish. The scene where Sagiri was harassing Megumi wasn't all that funny in my opinion and it went on for too long. Sagiri suddenly pulling Megumi's panties down was a bit funny though. I really don't get why Megumi wants to become friends with Sagiri so much that she's willing to put so much effort into it.

I feel like this show is a lot more tongue-in-cheek than Oreimo and not in a good way. It makes me care less about everyone's problems when I can't take the show all that seriously. Oreimo was funny, but I could also really get into the character drama and the different relationships that were built during that show. Not so much in this show. Also I don't find myself liking the characters as much. Elf is okay. Sagiri is somewhat decent when she's not being horribly shy or embarrassed.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I really don't get why Megumi wants to become friends with Sagiri so much that she's willing to put so much effort into it.

She's a completionist. She has to be friends with everyone to feel satisfied.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
So she just has some kinda complex? She wants everyone to like her so she can feel good about herself? That... would actually make sense.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Hahah! She deserved it! Laughing

She has now paid for her sins against otaku in full; book girl's revenge plan to convert her was amazing because relatable. Anime hyper

With just this episode, she might actually be likable for me now. I thought this episode was pretty good. I hope Masamune crushes his rival because not only does she seem like a bitch; WHY ARE YOU ENTERING A CONTEST FOR NOVICES WHEN YOU'RE ALREADY SELLNG MILLIONS!?

.....really, hoe, mind your own business! Twisted Evil

Also, if anyone was questioning the authenticity of such contests, yes, they do happen. I've seen similar ones advertised in shoujo magazines (get your manga published etc)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13