• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kemono Friends: This Season's Sleeper Hit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
The craze remind me how Kantai Collection become a hit 4 years ago.
DanQ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
JAPARI BUNS IS PEOPLE!

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:

Except that KanColle seemed to be a reasonably popular game before the anime debuted. Kemono Friends didn't have the benefit of that kind of bounce. Plus, you kind of get how a "girls as navy ships" might be popular - shows like Strike Witches had successfully mined that kind of territory (except, obviously as airplanes instead of ships). Again, as much as I enjoy KF, it's not the kind of show I would ever have guessed would make any kind of splash. It seems like one of those lightning in a bottle deals that would be hard to consciously replicate.
Zork

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this show a lot and don't quite understand the criticism the animation is getting. The character designs are simple but cute and the CG motion is fluid. Some of the backgrounds are washed out and sparse but others like the long view of the lake Beaver resides in was well done. Because this is a character driven anime I think the animation style fits it very well.

And the characters personalities are why I'm enjoying this show. From the worrisome Beaver to the laid back Lion I think the characters are distinct and funny. I also like the way all of the animals are friendly to each other, even those that would normally be enemies.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hikarunu wrote:

Except that KanColle seemed to be a reasonably popular game before the anime debuted.

Hikarunu is assumedly talking about the game, though. The anime came out two years ago, not four. I don't think many expected the game to get as popular as it did back when it first came out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes, that makes sense.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the game play for KF, I can see why it foundered. It looked boring as hell. But maybe these kinds of games are all like that - I dunno, since I don't play them. Smile
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
How many copycat wannabes will there be of this, this year, next year, year thereafter, and how many of those will inevitably fail hard?... Any bets?

I'm watching it and AM exited for its (certainly well-deserved) success. But, I don't want to drown in god-awful CG in my near future. Confused

Well, KF gained extreme popularity not because of being cheap 3DCG show, and even japanese knows that - first episodes of the series got a mixed to bad viewer ratings on the same NicoNico, and the show hooked auditory just after the third/fourth episode because of the atmosphere, characters and plot.

But well, the copycats will be there for sure, like with the other trends.
DanQ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:

Funny, it reminds me more of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic success. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crushermach3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote
DanQ wrote:
Hikarunu wrote:

Funny, it reminds me more of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic success. Anime smile

It reminds me of a lot of things. Things that people scoffed at at first because they were hard to take at face value, but then came around to when the people who stuck with it started hyping them up. Minecraft was a game about breaking and placing blocks in a limited, low-poly, low-res world. My Little Pony was a show for little girls. Homestuck was a goofy little webcomic where the viewers chose what happened. Undertale was a game where you could be nice to monsters. Google was a search engine with an almost blank home page. The Internet itself was a place for nerds to hang out on message boards.
DanQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
Crushermach3 wrote:
The Internet itself was a place for nerds to hang out on message boards.

And internet is still the place for nerds, hurray Anime smile. World is wunderbar place Anime smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3