• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Characters Have Cameo Appearances In Other Anime Anymore?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
WHAAAAAAAT

You mean "Fair Use" ruins things so we can't have nice things!?

I missed the memo!! Mad
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
you might see something resembling a parody in a show like Gintama, but its target would be obscured or censored in some way.
Like when the gangs from Fist of the North Star turn up, warts and all?

I'm shocked you didn't mention Osomatsu-San, where the first episode is now banned because it was filled with parodies.
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
WHAAAAAAAT

I missed the memo!! Mad

You do understand that "Fair Use" refers to the GOOD thing, right? It doesn't "ruin" anything, "Fair Use" is the clause (in US law at least) that says it's ACCEPTABLE for other trademarks to be used as parody.

Your statement is backwards. What you MEANT to say was "Copyright Law" ruins things so we can't have nice things.

Fair Use is on YOUR side. Fair Use is the thing you WANT. Not the other way around.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Kind of not surprising that businesses wanted to protect their brand/franchises. But imagine if that was still allowed...man it would be amazing. I remember they used to do collabs in CartoonNetwork shows as well. Those were the prime of my childhood lemmie tell you. Now if they do collabs it's through events or cafés, but it's not the same as them being animated and interacting with each other. I miss that, but it's still nostalgic.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
You still see cameos and stuff sometimes in anime. Good Luck Girl!! had a ton of them, for example, and Log Horizon had a scene where you could see the leads from Maoyu in the background. I imagine in these cases, though, the studio only uses characters they have the rights to.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Always happy to see Keroro on the front page. Smile Reminds me of simpler times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From Yawara and her grandfather getting fast food in Project A-Ko 3

Not only that, but little Lum and Ran (in their UY-flashback form) run by C-Ko as she's coming home from the Kimagure Orange Road Movie.
The A-Ko movies shared many of the animation and design staff with the Urusei Yatsura TV series, so Kitty-Films UY and Yawara references could sneak in. Might be difficult for anyone else to do it, though.

CatSword wrote:
Always happy to see Keroro on the front page. Smile Reminds me of simpler times.

There was a show that COULD do parody, often because, apart from Gundam, they could parody references without using them by name.
Apparently, the greedy-Japanese-corporate crackdown is on characters or names, but hinting at fan references--like the characters traveling on what looks like the Galaxy Express--can slip through.

Usually if it's a joke from the manga about shared manga references, eg. when Sgt. Frog did plot-specific parody episodes taking off "Midori Days" and "Nana 7 of Seven", which were owned by the same magazine (IIRC?)
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Justin said cameos "stopped entirely around the late 90s," but that's not exactly true. There are still rare cameos. L from Death Note was in an episode of Full Metal Panic 2nd Raid.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
You still see cameos and stuff sometimes in anime. Good Luck Girl!! had a ton of them, for example, and Log Horizon had a scene where you could see the leads from Maoyu in the background. I imagine in these cases, though, the studio only uses characters they have the rights to.

eyah, they ahve to be same studio, the most recent exmaple I rememebr is j studio using their toradora adn railgun characters in Ōkami-san_to_Shichinin_no_Nakama-tachi
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I don't think you understood Justin's point. It is the absence of a fair-use exemption in Japanese copyright law that brought about the end of such homages. For all the criticism it receives, US copyright law does allow for fair use to be an affirmative defense against infringement claims. The doctrine is hardly as flexible as some in the anime community would like to believe though. Whether something constitutes a "fair use" can only be decided in court, using the criteria in 17 USC 107.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, saying they stopped entirely seems like an exaggeration. Luluco appears briefly in the final episode of Kiznaiver, and Space Patrol Luluco itself is a show of cameos and self-referential humor. And although not the same kind of cameos, a lot of Aniplex properties like Mahouka, Samurai Flamenco, and I think Spice and Wolf show up in posters and promotionals in Durarara
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Deja vu? I feel like this question was asked before, but the answer included an example like the One Piece-Toriko special that had OP-Toriko-DBZ characters in it.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Kind of not surprising that businesses wanted to protect their brand/franchises. But imagine if that was still allowed...man it would be amazing. I remember they used to do collabs in CartoonNetwork shows as well. Those were the prime of my childhood lemmie tell you. Now if they do collabs it's through events or cafés, but it's not the same as them being animated and interacting with each other. I miss that, but it's still nostalgic.

That's... not exactly the same thing. The legal issue only arises when a show crosses over with other people's shows without explicit permission. While their business side may not see a reason to do things like that anymore, there's nothing legally keeping CN from crossing over their own shows. They just don't.

CN is a nice parallel to these old anime companies though, being much more creative in the early days and staffed by a lot of young people in the TV biz with interesting ideas, but slowly succumbing to the business end over the years.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Deja vu? I feel like this question was asked before, but the answer included an example like the One Piece-Toriko special that had OP-Toriko-DBZ characters in it.

That was about planned anime cross-overs while this one is about unauthorized cameos from other anime.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
It's not just limited to the OVA realm. Long running TV series like Urusei Yatsura and City Hunter had them, moreso the former. Went above and beyond and had Western properties like Star Wars and Alien showing up in the background as well.

To say cameos are dead is untrue though. Like someone said, they've downscaled it to adding characters within their copyright or sponsorship. A show like Saekano, being a Fantasia Bunko series, featured volumes of light novels from the same publisher like Amagi Brilliant Park and Date a Live.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5