• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast (Video) - Sevakis of Death

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Innocence is what happens when money just gets thrown at an auteur.

Yeah, I'd say about 2/3 of us that have seen that film agree that it's pretentious crap.

Horrible script -- it's basically an echo chamber for the director (Oshii) to impress people with his knowledge of philosophy.
It's an utter bore... I've seen films that MAKE you wait til the end for them to pay off but GiTS 2 never paid off for me!
It's not even funny how much better the first GiTS feature was... The second film IMHO should have stayed in licensing rights hell where it belongs!
It's one of the few anime films I've NEVER regretted not buying... I've regretted a few that I DID buy but generally I had not seen those in a theater or had a chance to see them beforehand (when the Internet did not exist). I did see GiTS 2 -- in an almost empty theater. Usually, I'm semi-upset when a GOOD anime feature screens with not many people in the theater but that night I could only think how lucky the people who WEREN'T in the theater were! Laughing

On the other hand, I said good-bye to some good money, poorly spent on a bad film! Evil or Very Mad

Only people who are GiTS completists need buy this POS.
Honestly, I'd urge people to spend their money elsehwere.

I've seen plenty of films with lower production values that were much more enjoyable to me than GiTS 2: Innocence.
I've never understood the fascination some people have with this film...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Sounds like a little echo problem on Justin's audio...

Yeah, the audio only version definitely suffered from that problem. I popped into the video to see their beautiful faces just now though and it doesn't seem to be a problem on the video version. Hopefully this is just a one off problem!

Yeah, I went to edit the audio version and noticed that - I had messed with some settings earlier in the week and this was an unintended consequence, I'll get it ironed out in time for the next show.

I could've changed it but I thought it sounded kinda cool and good so I left it just this once. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote
I have to say, Zac, I really like the switch to video over just audio. I like being able to see all the participants. Congratulations on your weight loss, you look great.

I've noticed the first few videocasts, there is a bit of low energy stuff at the very beginning as you grapple with some of the technical aspects. Is there any way to edit that stuff out? It would be great to start off the videocasts in a snappier way. By the same token, can the disclaimer you read be tacked onto the end of the cast as opposed to the beginning? Or if there is some reason it has to be at the beginning, maybe it can just be white text on a black background? That way the visuals become the real beginning of the show.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
WIth Justin willingly revisiting Angel Cop and having so much fun with it, I wonder if he'd enjoy Mad Bull and Geist now. I only saw both for the first time a couple years ago (I'm in my early 20s) but I found them a lot of silly fun. Mad Bull as a sort of schlocky insanity that transcended beyond even so bad it's good for me (except episode 4 which hit all the wrong notes in its self-seriousness and storytelling) and Geist's first half felt like a corny but neat mood piece music video before reveling in an equally silly but amusing old school rock-heavy, post-apocalyptic action piece in the back half that wasn't too coherent but didn't seem bad at all and was rather amusing. Then again, at least with Geist, Justin has a huge history working on it, so I imagine it may well be impossible to find anything to really enjoy about it given what he's had to put up with working on it.

Also: while I need to dig a lot deeper into the GitS franchise (rewatch the original film, check out all the SAC stuff, manga, Arise series, etc) I just watched Innocence for the first time about a week ago, and I quite enjoyed it. It's been a while since I've seen an Oshii film, but most of his films are quite exposition heavy and use characters more as ciphers occupying a certain setting to complement the ideas he touches on the way I see it, but Innocence seems to be a sort of self-reflection of Oshii and the characters of the film turning his usual philosophical ramblings in on themselves to interrogate and deconstruct which I find rather refreshing, and I think the film has more to say than it would first suggest. In fact, the whole film's narrative and stylistic texture seems to establish one of its ideas in the search for greater meaning, so all of the opaque talks do serve to alienate, and obscure, possibly from rather simple ideas, but in a way that also wants you to inspect even deeper into them and what defines and validates each thought the characters bring up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kj_4247

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
we missed you cave justin welcome back
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Nice to finally be able to put faces to these voices I've listened to for so many years.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I could've changed it but I thought it sounded kinda cool and good so I left it just this once. Smile

Haha, alright. Fair enough. It certainly didn't bother me after the first 30 seconds or so. Justin In Space is amusing and has a nice ring to it anyway. Razz
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Gundam has been a bit of a pet project of mine for many, many years and I can't stand when releases are ripe with errors or are handled poorly by "professionals"... ergo, I'm going to be nitpicky and rant about it.

If Justin is responsible for Gundam on Hulu then someone needs to smack him with a pool noodle because the subtitles/captions are horribly inaccurate (misheard dub captions?), oddly timed and are ripe with spelling errors for a bunch of the episodes across the series... Was this a super rush job? Assistant and all, it really needed a good QC check before it went live. This is what ultimately ends up turning viewers off to things and why more probably won't appear. For someone who totes his business as being quite good, this seems rather shoddy...

I mean take Gundam Wing for example...

The year is after colony 195. Operation Meteor. In a move to counter the Alliance's ternary, rebel citizens of certain colonies...

Frustrating as this job may have been and all, but you botch the very first line in the episode? Was Campbell Lane that hard to understand when he said "tyranny" let alone the era needing capitalization?

Later on you have:

"...would ride the wavecoarse..."

Wave course?

There's also a bunch of missing chunks of dialogue, which may have ended up being a timing issue (not coded correctly?), but then you end up with truncated captions appearing on the screen so it's hard to tell. I'm not even going to delve into the odd sfx caption choices that are rather inaccurate as well ("plasma blasts" as well as "mission notify")

There's also missing punctuation, missing capitalization, words in general, etc.

Hell, I'd gladly make a list of things that need correcting if the series can be updated on Hulu if it'd make the viewing better...
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
^I don't think Justin's work has anything to do with the vast majority of those issues. Those would be problems with the translation and subtitling team's work, most likely.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^I don't think Justin's work has anything to do with the vast majority of those issues. Those would be problems with the translation and subtitling team's work, most likely.

He said in the podcast about having to make closed captioning in the for the dubbed episodes (as well as having to get used to Hulu's format of commercial breaks, video format and what not). The problems I pointed out have nothing to do with translation or the original subtitles as they don't exist on the original DVDs.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about the dub captions. You mentioned the subtitles/captions being inaccurate and I assumed you meant the translation. I've never once paid any attention to captions for dubbed anime, so it frankly didn't cross my mind. My bad.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:26 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Gundam has been a bit of a pet project of mine for many, many years and I can't stand when releases are ripe with errors or are handled poorly by "professionals"... ergo, I'm going to be nitpicky and rant about it.

I appreciate the nit-picks. This was our first large-scale closed captioning operation and it was an insane rush job -- we only had two months to resync, edit, format, upload, collate metadata, create graphics and caption/subtitle what amounted to 178 episodes (with both versions of Gundam Origin being 60 min each). In that time we had to hire an entirely new captioning staff, train them, and invent new workflows to manage all of that captioning and format it in a way that worked with Hulu's captioning limits. We definitely could've used another proof-reading pass but there just wasn't time. What's up there is absolutely not perfect. I wish it was, but it's just not. That's the crappy part about being a pro: you sometimes literally don't have time to do the best job you can.

This project was a huge learning experience, and so next time should be nowhere near as hairy for all parties.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:

I appreciate the nit-picks. This was our first large-scale closed captioning operation and it was an insane rush job -- we only had two months to resync, edit, format, upload, collate metadata, create graphics and caption/subtitle what amounted to 178 episodes (with both versions of Gundam Origin being 60 min each). In that time we had to hire an entirely new captioning staff, train them, and invent new workflows to manage all of that captioning and format it in a way that worked with Hulu's captioning limits. We definitely could've used another proof-reading pass but there just wasn't time. What's up there is absolutely not perfect. I wish it was, but it's just not. That's the crappy part about being a pro: you sometimes literally don't have time to do the best job you can.

This project was a huge learning experience, and so next time should be nowhere near as hairy for all parties.

Can you forward corrected subtitles to Hulu or is it a done deal? Hell I'll watch them all and send you a corrected list if it gets them changed Laughing
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Can you forward corrected subtitles to Hulu or is it a done deal? Hell I'll watch them all and send you a corrected list if it gets them changed Laughing

PM me with your email address. Very Happy
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Was that some version of one of the songs from the Rez soundtrack during the opening disclaimer message?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2